Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Here is my review of the experience I had on my very first cruise. This was a last minute cruise and very fortunate the flight arrived ontime, a little early. The shuttle service was terrible, we waited for almost 2 hrs. to leave the airport. Another flight way seriously late and we had to wait for the other 6 people.
We barely made it to the ship before it left. It was so late that the customs lady took all info on the bus prior to the arrival to the port. We were all rushed onboard, where there was no check-in, departure pictures, or welcomes. We didn't even get the buffet.( I was so looking foward too) We(21yr old daughter and I) made it to our room and dropped off our luggage,(all of it which we had to carry onto the ship)6 bags, rushed to the deck for sail away.(I guess that's what it is called). By the time we got to the lido(Ithink) deck we were already leaving.
After sail away we went to get a hamburger, oh boy was it good! LOL,really! We saided away, and went back to our room to unpack. We then left to explore the ship. We tried, in a couple hours to get to know the ship, not going to happen. We then got ready for our first dinner in the dinning room.(I guess since it was last minute boking we didn't get the early dinning we requested)Our dinning time was 8:00. this was waaay too late for me! I enjoyed that night and then went to ask for another dinning time, early dinning if possible. They accomodated us without delay. The next night we had 5:45 dinning. Met even more people.

More to follow... have to go
Old 01-27-2007, 05:54 PM

I would love to hear more about this review. I am scheduled to sail on this ship in May with my husband and this is our first cruise.

If you can be as detailed as possible

Did you go to Half Moon Cay and if so, was it nice? Was the water real blue?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM

The dinner was great, however, at that time I had no idea what was in store..pizza.. more on that later. We then explored the ship more, went to a show and went to our room to unwind and get ready for the next day. We highlighted all we wanted to do the next day(keeping in mind everyone on this site says not to overdue it). We didn't just want to sit there in our room and couldn't sleep. So we decided to go to the kareokee(sp) and it was soooo fun! I guess by then people had had a few drinks and got brave. My daughter didn't drink but sang. It was a real treat since I knew she sang in church but didn't think she would do it there.
On our way back to the room we decided to go to the lido deck to check out the pizza...oh boy was it good!! It was pipin hot and the cheese was just stringing..lol it really was great! We went to our room. Earlier we also went to the excursion desk to book our excursins and the one we wanted was already booked.(the dunebuggy) so when people say book in advance or early; they mean it! Anyway we booked the parasailing excursion(my daughters idea)when we got to Grand Turk, we just went through the shops and to the pool at Margaretta Ville that had very fun entertainment. They had all the men that thought they were strong come up and asked how many push-ups they could do, some said 25 some said 100..lol then the got in a line and had this real pretty girl come over. Then the man said whoever can do the most amount of push-up with this lady on your back wins... WOW it was soooo funny. She actually got on each mans back while they did push-ups, one man collapsed he was Realy big, andother little man only did one. Then the others went on. Finally they had a winner. You may not find this entertaining, but I have never seen anything like this before. We had lunch at Margaretta Ville, it was real good with alright prices. We then just headed for the beach, where my daughter collected sea shells. Then it was back to the ship. we got ready for dinner and the dinner that night was great, hot, fresh and the waiter called us by name, in which my daughter(Tynisha) was a difficult name to remember! Throughout the cruise I felt it moving ALOT! Felt very queezy, so did my daughter. Durring the shows you could see the curtain swinging back and forth. It wasn't enough to ruin our cruise but it was sure noticeable, and at times very uncomfortable. Half Moon Cay we did parasailing, it was incredible, a new experience for us both. The guides were fantastic, expecially since I really didn't want to do it.. scarry me. We had a wonderful experience. Would I do it again... no, but only because for me this was something I did for my daughter and a lifetime memory. I WOULD rec. anyone to try it. It was incredible experience. The ship had a BBQ on the island that we went to right after our excursion, the lines were hopeless as it seemed at the time, but I guess it went quite steady. The food was good, fresh. We then went to the beach area where we rented a Baracuda(sp) and away we went...lol this was fun. We were acting real silly, I told my daughter after she got in the water that a stingray was right by her and it was sooo funny seeing her try to get back on the paddle boat!(she knew I was joking). After that we got a beach chair and I lounged as my daughter went in the water(still looking for sea shells)The bar waiter from the ship came by and said Hi Donna, I couldn't believe it. He knew me by name. Not sure if this was good or bad. He asked if I wanted a drink. I let him know that I did have one, but it was very weak. He said wait for a few minutes and came back with 2 drinks, I guess he thought my daughter was drinking. This time it was real strong.(I guess my tipping was good)Then back to the ship! The line to get back on the ship (had to tender) was VERY long! However, it did go very quickly. The next port was Nassau, we were somewhat nervous but went out on our own, as soon as we got off the ship and went up the dock there were several people waiting to take you on personal tours. They told us $25.00 per person for a 2 hour tour to where ever we wanted to go. We spoke with the security guards there(there were many) and they said it was perfectly safe! We were going to do it,but he said to wait a few minutes he needed 4 more people to go before we could leave. We waited 20 minutes
then 2 other women from the ship came up and he told them. Well the other women and my daughter talked him into $15.00 per person! He took us to Atlantis, and the straw market,and all over the island, however I know we could have done the ferry and walked to the straw market, but we seen sooo much more and it was well worth the $30.00 for us 2.We were gone for 3 hours and 5 minutes. I hope he didn't get into trouble, however EVERYONE tipped him VERY well! When we got back we went to a little cafe around the corner from straw market and ate, WOW, very reasonable and good! Then we did some more shopping and went back to the ship...
Now, The food was very good on the ship. From main dinning room to pizza, deli, and my daughter even tried sushi for the first time(not me) We did try the buffet 2 times but we are not really into buffets , however, it was good except the breakfast bacon was strange bacon and the sausage was VEERRY greesy! The ice cream was great and the deserts were also. The very best to me was the New York Strawberry Cheese Cake...YUM!!! The entertainment was very good and the deck parties/dances were real fun.I wasnt too crazy about the bingo that lasted 3 minutes...lol and they went so fast I could hardly keep up(and I'm not that old). We did the "In the bag" game which was harlarious(sp) people were jumping over the seats to try to get the item to the cd. So many laughs. We did the spa, pedicure and some sort of seaweed wrap/massage. The pedicure wasn't pleasant, not satisfied at all. Fingernail polish all over, and she made me bleed: not like at home (what i'm use too). the seaweed thing was a wonderful experience though. I wouldn't do it again, costs a fortune. But I would rec. it for a once in a liftime memory and VERY relaxing. I also had an experience that... well I'm not use too. We went to the disco to dance(my daughter wanted too). We both danced and was having a good time, my daughter that doesn't really drink had a Kiss of lips or Kiss on the lips drink. Then some young man came to the table I was sitting at(my daughter was on thedance floor) and said.." I want to tell you something but I'm afraid that you might slap me! I just looked at him and replied.. well, maybe you shouldn't say it then! Is something wrong I asked. He said no,everything is right, but I have to say it anyway! He then said to me MILF. Milf? I thought to myself what to heck does this mean and thought it had to be bad enough to make him think I might slap him. So I immediately said I mean no disrespect but you can't be much older than my oldest son, so please move on(not knowing what that meant). I found out afterwords from my daughter what that meant... How old did I feel then....lol Everytime I saw him after that I was totally embarrased. He went out of his way to make sure I saw him!(not a stalking thing) Gee what an experience.
The service there was impeccible. I can't compare it to many things in life. Our room steward was incredible. He informed of us of everything important and reminded us that he was there if we needed anything.He brought us extra pillows and blankets, however we never needed the extra blankets.My daughter really liked one of the sample lotions that you rinse off after you put it on? Our steward brought her many! He also put towel animals on each of our beds, he said he thought my daughter would enjoy it. And she did! I bought a drink card, daughter didn't. I wouldn't do it again. I drink alot of sodas at home so I thought it would be the ideal thing to have. Didn't drink that much soda. Not enough to pay for it! In the dinning room the waiter was great. He also knew us by name? How can all these dinning room waiters, bar waiters, room stewards remember the names of all the people they serve. Incredible! Also, we had a table for 6 on our early seating and he would know already what one girl wanted(hamburger.. plain every night) and what the other woman(girls mother) wanted for dessert, choc. ice cream with nuts and coconut(not even on the menu) every night! Also knew the husband didn't want anything with mushrooms or onions! I say that is amazing. They also dance and sing in the main dinning room. Some people participate in it.
Also the islands were fabulous! The waters were blue or turquise(sp) and the sand at Half Moon Cay beaches was like powder. You could see your toe polish and sea shells at the bottom. Incredible islands. My next cruise is March 4th to the western Carb. and I can't wait, whole family is going then.
I know this has been very long, but, there is soooooo much too tell. I will probably have more that I remember later.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:22 AM

Thank you so much for the review. I am so excited and can't wait for my first cruise! I have been reading everyone's reviews. I read one complaint that someone was charge $50 for room service. Is this an additional fee that I am not aware of?

I paid for the trip, plus the gratities. Are there any other fees that I should be aware of? I think they charge 15% for every meal, is this correct and is this on top of the tips that I already paid for? I believe it is $10 a day per person.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 AM

we were on the elation in oct and can't say enought great things about the ship and food and personal,it is 10.00 a day if you want to tip at the end for the diining room and and room service staff extra thats up to you we did because they were so great. you will enjoy half moon cay and grand turk water is beautiful.

have a great time.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:22 AM

Mz. Hollywood... your wait on the shuttle is why I perfer to just grab a taxi. It normally costs less (assuming more than one rider in the cab) and you are not at the mercy of the shuttle to get you to the ship.

Had you not had to wait, you could have gotten on board in time to have a buffet and see more of the ship (AND gone to see the Maitre'd and asked to be moved to the early seating.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bfwdesigns:
Thank you so much for the review. I am so excited and can't wait for my first cruise! I have been reading everyone's reviews. I read one complaint that someone was charge $50 for room service. Is this an additional fee that I am not aware of?

I paid for the trip, plus the gratities. Are there any other fees that I should be aware of? I think they charge 15% for every meal, is this correct and is this on top of the tips that I already paid for? I believe it is $10 a day per person.

Thanks!
Someone must be pulling your leg about room service. The room service food is free, but a tip is expected. Tip like you would a Pizza delivery. If you tip the Pizza guy $50 that will be your choice. Everything you buy from a waiter, on deck, in a lounge, at a bar, at dinner, anywhere, will have a 15% gratuity added to the bill (your sign and sail card account.) The $10 /day /person is charged directly to your sail and sign, BUT you can if you are an oger go to the purser and remove it, don't do it, it is a reasonable gratuity, if you want to tip extra do so in cash. Tip the Matre D if he did something for you, changed your seating, was helpful somehow else. But if you paid for the cabin, the airfare, it is possible but not much fun to spend nothing else, Don't drink anything that is ordered from a waiter, don't do any tours, don't play Bingo, don't buy pictures, etc. But what fun is that?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM

No, I was never charged for room service! I just gave them a tip when they broght me someting. The food is inluded. I only paid a 15% gratuity when I ordered drinks from the bar(wine, cocktils). I had a soda card.. they added the 15% gratuity to that as well. My daughter had tea and lemonade and was never charged.
The $10.00 per day which was auomatically put on my sail and sign card includes everything except room service tips. I chose to give the Matre D a nice tip as he changed my late seating to an earlier time. I tipped the waiters at my table and the bar waiter. I tipped our room steward because he went above in my opinion.
So basically after the $10.00 per day that is automatically billed on your sail and sign card you tip as you feel.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 AM

Ok, that clears it up then. I really appreciate the review and the feedback. I am really excited for my trip. I just want to make sure I have everything in order, since this is a surprise cruise for my husband.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 AM

Mz. Hollywood, what a great review !
Thank you for that.
I was wondering if you could tell me if the water at Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Nassau was warm?
I'm glad you had a great time.
Can't wait to go.
Lexy

Closed Thread

Tags
broad, carnival, cay, cruise, deck, drinking, elation, good, half, kissed, luggage, moon, moonlight, reviews, water