Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM

We still do the tux and formal gown for formal nights. We don't get dressed up too often, so that's fun for us. We also get a great picture and we don't have to get an appointment at a photographer to get it either.

I certainly understand the extra luggage side of this and how it may push more people into not bringing the formal attire. But if we can manage it we will. Except for the Cruise Chat cruise. A 4 day cruise may not be long enough to want to bring the extra luggage. I'll probably do a smart casual night instead and make it through on a single carry on bag!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-11-2008, 12:24 PM

It's your vacation cruise, do what makes you happy
Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Cruise Happy you're 100% right. I also agree with Dwayne, as always, and Jim. I still happen to think that going to a nice dining room and eating nice food you ought to dress up...and on formal night you have the opportunity to look nice, get pictures taken, and feel like royalty! And there has NEVER been a time when we were walking to dinner on formal night that people didn't stop and comment on how we were dressed. I like that too.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 AM

I get "dressed up" every night and extra special on formal night. I enjoy it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Cruisehappy...

I couldn't agree more! We always wear at least shirt and slax with a tie to dinner, and special on formal nights. I guess to each his own. It's like choosing where to eat dinner. I never quite understand why people go on a cruise and eat at the buffet for dinner. Why pay for Outback and eat at Golden Corral?

And by the way...sorry you caught George on a bad night...he was great with us.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 PM

The least I have ever worn on non-formal nights is a nice golf/polo shirt and docker type slacks. Shirt all tucked and shoes shined.

Dwayne
Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 AM

I have a client who had called numerous times to investigate cruising and wanted to badly. Her hubby is a farmer and said he's not gettin out of his overalls, cruise or no cruise! She didn't want to miss the formal night and didn't want to be embarrassed by her hubby who is a little set in his ways. Her daughter could sew well so she bought some worsted wool like you'd make a suit from and used a pair of his existing overalls as a patern to fashion pair and got him a sport coat that complimented the color. The poor lady was still not crazy about the compromise and thought he looked silly in bib overalls no matter what they were made of. But she wrote me after her cruise and said they were a hit at the dinner table and all the guys wanted some dress up overalls for themselves. He had such a good time he agreed to wear real slacks and let her plan another cruise. They'll be going on their second next month. I've never had a more excited client than this woman. I don't know if it's more because of her cruise or that hubby will give in and wear a real suit for her for the first time since their wedding day 46 years ago.

I just wish I were going, I'd really like to meet farmer Jack and the Mrs. After the hard life you can just hear in her voice how much they're both finally enjoying their new found cruise relaxation time. She's as giddy as a teenaged girl planning for her prom.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Dwayne...you sound spiffy...

And Neil thats a priceless story!! Keep em coming.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 AM

I'm with Cruisehappy, when you are sitting at a table with nice linen/silverware/glasses/cups/cloth napkins, why would you "want" to dress down?

We dress up every night, and for formal nights, we dress "elegant." I don't think too many people get to do that very often, and we "take advantage" of it.

brneyes
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM

Let us know how many people you see dressed to the max after ALL the airlines start to charge extra for any checked luggage. The days of formal attire will soon be a think of the past except for a few die-hards.

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, carnival, code, comment, cruise, dress, dressing, ecstasy, formal, forum, men, ncl, night, small, write