Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM

We just returned from cruising the Victory and the Liberty in the last cople of weeks. I am going to say only 25% of men had a tie on at formal dinner and maybe 5% at any other given time. Everyone was dressed nice , collars on shirts and dress slacks..women had everything from capri's to sun dresses..I was wonderful and very resort caual.we truly enjoyed. My husband never put a suit on and truly looked handsome. There were a couple of weddings and a couple of tux's and gowns. But they were few and far between. I say do what you want it is your cruise and your dollar. Just live and let live. It is a wonderful thing to do when sharing a vacation with a couple thousand people.

Aruba Reviews
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Well don't you think the food would have tasted better if you were dressed formally?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Yes, I LOVE formal night too, but then I like "dressing up" for the other nights too.

I may have to be like a lot of other people, just work it out, no matter what, like we do for "GASOLINE" prices.

brneyes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 AM

I hope you did not mean that on formal night on the Liberty, the ladies had capri's or sun dresses on, unless the sun drsses were w "nice" sun dresses?

The reason I say this, when I think/hear of "formal night", that should be "dress up" night. The rest of the nights, whatever.

brneyes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Yesssssssss, it is the "atmosphere" where you are at.

brneyes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 AM

brneyes, Please refer to the instructions given in this thread regarding posting etiquette.

Thanks,
Dwayne
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
brneyes, Please refer to the instructions given in this thread regarding posting etiquette.

Thanks,
Dwayne
It gets a little confusing if we don't know what you're referring to.

Sonny

Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I have been in the formal wear business for 14 years. People still ask how dressed up they have to get. Semi formal is suit and tie for men and cocktail dress for women. Forml is tuxedo for men and long gown for women. Pre 70s this was not a problem and everyone understood and dressed accordingly. Today people do not seem to have a clue. I feel the cruiselines need to drop the formal night or enforce the dress code. It is not fair for people who dress up to have to sit with people who prefer to wear kaki's.

I will say that we just returned from the Legend and it was a pleasent surprise to see so many people dressed "up". Many tuxedos and lots of long evening gowns. I would say at least two thirds of the men wore suits.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:14 AM

Yes, on the Legend last year almost everyone was dressed up nicely on the "Cruise Elegant" nights. I have worn khakis and a blazer before. I just didn't know better, at least I made an effort.

Dwayne
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Just got home from a Alaska cruise, May 28 to June 4 2008 on the Spirit. The formal night is a joke. You can dress up if you like but why waste the space in your luggage? There were passengers wearing sweats, T shirts, and stuff that would not have been allowed on a regular dining night. Cruising is going more relaxed and carefree. Enjoy and do your own thing.

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, carnival, code, comment, cruise, dress, dressing, ecstasy, formal, forum, men, ncl, night, small, write