Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
Quote:
There were passengers wearing sweats, T shirts, and stuff that would not have been allowed on a regular dining night.
7thSon, Welcome back, and hope you had a great cruise!

You posted on page one of this thread that you saw people wearing sweats on another cruise as well. I have never seen this yet.

Dwayne
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:20 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 993
Default
Well I hate to see formal night get kicked to the wayside. To me cruising is all about doing things we dont normally do. We do not normally "dress up". Ok we never "dress up" unless its for one of the childrens wedding. And the last on got married 3 weeks ago so no more dressing up for us.
when we had our first cruise we were way over dressed. We wore nice dresses, and formal night we wore a formal. People wore pants to formal night, sun dresses ect. I though that maybe some people just didnt understand what the word formal means. I guess I was wrong.
I dont know who is responsible for formal night attire changing, the cruisers or the ships. Its part of the fun.
Everyone says thats ok gives us room in the luggage, hey you would make room if it was required. we did.If people dont want to do formal night, there are other options for dinner that night.
I just hate to see it change.
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 AM
TrvlPro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,172
Default
Although formal nights are a little more loosly enforced on some lines and even some ships among the same line, it is still requested that everyone dress appropriately. There are occasional issues that they will bend the rules for, like lost luggage preventing someone from the ability to dress up who doesn't want to miss the dining room. They will sometimes make such exceptions although I can't imagine wanting to go to the formal night under such circumstances without renting something onboard that would be appropriate I know there are some who have and have insisted on being allowed to dine. Exceptions aside, until they change the dress codes or eliminate the formal request, it's a good idea to dress as you would to any nice restaurant. If that's not your idea of vacation attire there is always the buffet or room service.

Cheers, Neil
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Posts: 1,319
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:

Exceptions aside, until they change the dress codes or eliminate the formal request, it's a good idea to dress as you would to any nice restaurant. If that's not your idea of vacation attire there is always the buffet or room service.

Cheers, Neil
That is exactly the point, "dress as you would to any nice restaurant".
IF the cruise lines would offer the same food as is being served in the dr I doubt if there would be any problems with the proper dress but until then people will be missing out on a better meal and will continue to dress as they please. The cruise line's will look the other way as not to offend anyone.
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 150
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
quote:
There were passengers wearing sweats, T shirts, and stuff that would not have been allowed on a regular dining night.
7thSon, Welcome back, and hope you had a great cruise!

You posted on page one of this thread that you saw people wearing sweats on another cruise as well. I have never seen this yet.

Dwayne


I wrote on the comment card about the dress code not being enforced. Passengers were wearing baseball caps, sweats, jerseys, and tee shirts with logos/writings such as Hard Rock Cafe or Harley Davidson. I asked our waiter about this and they said that they were afraid to say anything because it would make that passenger write a bad comment about them.

This may be true, but it should be the duty of the Matre'd or the assistant to stop them from entering. They always stand at the entrance but they don't do anything.
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
Quote:
I wrote on the comment card about the dress code not being enforced. Passengers were wearing baseball caps, sweats, jerseys, and tee shirts with logos/writings such as Hard Rock Cafe or Harley Davidson. I asked our waiter about this and they said that they were afraid to say anything because it would make that passenger write a bad comment about them.

This may be true, but it should be the duty of the Matre'd or the assistant to stop them from entering. They always stand at the entrance but they don't do anything.

I couldn't agree more about the Maitre'd enforcing the policy. It should be part of his job to do so. They have relaxed the dress code enough that there shouldn't be any excuses for showing up on "Elegant" night like that.

Dwayne
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 708
Default
Hi Dwayne, I "finally" see where you mean the yellow folder. The problem, when my emails open up, they do not take me back to "this thread" that you gave me in your email to go back to. That is why I click on "reply to post", and therein is where my message goes.
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
Quote:
Hi Dwayne, I "finally" see where you mean the yellow folder. The problem, when my emails open up, they do not take me back to "this thread" that you gave me in your email to go back to. That is why I click on "reply to post", and therein is where my message goes.
Hi brneyes,

That is because you are replying to e-mails and not in the Forum directly. You shouldn't have that problem in the future.

Dwayne
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 708
Default
Yes, I agree with SanDee when it comes to "formal nights" on the ship.

If a person does not want to dress up for formal nights, go to the buffet area, or speciality restaurant.

Most people "should know" formal means DRESS UP, or wear your BEST clothes, which DOES NOT mean, your dress down "casual" clothes, especially in the "MAIN" dining room where the tables are elaborately prepared for their guests.

brneys
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 708
Default
Well Dwayne, we will have to give you an "E" for effort, for trying to dress up (partially) for "formal night."

brneyes
 
Closed Thread

Tags
attire, carnival, code, comment, cruise, dress, dressing, ecstasy, formal, forum, men, ncl, night, small, write

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dress attire for formal night shondie Carnival Cruise Line 14 06-21-2007 07:52 PM
Esctasy Formal Night Attire - Need Advice east texas cruiser Carnival Cruise Line 6 07-31-2006 12:39 PM
Cruise Attire - the dreaded formal night issue Kate Ashlock General Cruise Chat 27 02-16-2006 03:01 PM
FORMAL NIGHT ATTIRE BJC123 Carnival Cruise Line 1 11-10-2005 10:40 PM
18 year old male and formal night attire Tom S Carnival Cruise Line 2 08-11-2004 06:22 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
 

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2