Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Miami, Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten on Carnival Valor

or

Miami, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten on Carnival Triumph

I see you are only in San Juan from 5 pm to midnight but then are in St Thomas early the next morning.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I've never thought much of Nassau or San Juan. To me they both are equally poor cruise stops. I'd go with the Valor simply because it is a newer ship. We cruised on the Triumph in 2003 and I felt the layout was poor with several bottlenecks in passenger traffic. I also felt the ship was not as well maintained as I've come to expect with Carnival.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

As much as I love San Juan, I would skip the particular itinerary you mentioned due to the hours in port. Unless you are into the nightlife, it's not worth it as you won't have enough time to tour before the sun goes down. Nassau is not a favorite of mine, although I do enjoy Paradise Island.

Given the two choices, I'd go with Carnival Valor.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:27 AM

Miami VALOR! You will fall in love with St. Thomas. Go to Puerto Rico sometime in your life and see it. But for your Cruise I can highly suggest the Valor Itinerary.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 AM

I agree with Dave whole-heartedly!! You couldn't pay me to go to Nassau or San Juan. I think the fact that cruiselines still cruise there is an excuse to complete an itinerary. Yea Paradise Island is nice and parts of San Juan are okay, but not for me. There are parts of the Carribean I would much rather go. St Kitts, St Vincent, Tortuga, etc.

I will not even cruise if the itinerary calls on the Nassau's or San Juan's of the world. And I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me. (No pun intended)

Last year I was re-routed to these islands due to Wilma and a bunch people did not even get off the ship. As popular as cruising is now, eventually, things will taper off on these itineraries. Too many people have gone to these islands, and don't want to go back. The cruiselines need to act on this now and change their itineraries.

Now that I have completed my editorial, look at the Western Carrib. sailing that the Valor does. The only "hot spot" is Grand Cayman. I'm on this sailing 10/1/2006, only because of the itinerary. No Nassau or San Juam. Thank God!!

Take care,

Billy
Old 08-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy in FLL:
I agree with Dave whole-heartedly!! You couldn't pay me to go to Nassau or San Juan. I think the fact that cruiselines still cruise there is an excuse to complete an itinerary. Yea Paradise Island is nice and parts of San Juan are okay, but not for me. There are parts of the Carribean I would much rather go. St Kitts, St Vincent, Tortuga, etc.

I will not even cruise if the itinerary calls on the Nassau's or San Juan's of the world. And I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me. (No pun intended)

Last year I was re-routed to these islands due to Wilma and a bunch people did not even get off the ship. As popular as cruising is now, eventually, things will taper off on these itineraries. Too many people have gone to these islands, and don't want to go back. The cruiselines need to act on this now and change their itineraries.

Now that I have completed my editorial, look at the Western Carrib. sailing that the Valor does. The only "hot spot" is Grand Cayman. I'm on this sailing 10/1/2006, only because of the itinerary. No Nassau or San Juam. Thank God!!

Take care,

Billy
Thanks Billy but we did Western last year. We did enjoy, just looking for our next itinerary.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Hey Billy, I know is off topic but I was re-routed to Nassau and San Juan due to Wilma last year too was curious what ship you were on?

IslandCruz
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 AM

I was on the Carnival Legend.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:03 AM

I agree with Dave in choosing the Valor because it's a newer ship. I find San Juan to be much better then Nassau. We found a great place to spend a few hours other than visiting the fort and shopping in Old San Juan. The bad part is if your ship docks at the Pan American pier. You have to take a cab into Old San Juan from there. It's great if you dock in Old San Juan. But, that's if your in port during the day. I wouldn't walk around Old San Juan at night.

Closed Thread

Tags
2003, carnival, itinerary, juan, san, triumph