Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 AM

We are looking forward to an October cruise on the Liberty, booked it yesterday. We would love to try snorkling. Any thoughts on trying it for the first time in Grand Caymen or Jamica or Cozumel...would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Aruba Reviews
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Banned

Those ports you mention have some great snorkeling but I would not go there to learn. Buy some snorkel gear and practice in the local YMCA pool until you get profficient in using the gear (especially diving down while holding your breath and then blowing out the tube when you reach the surface)and then you can truly enjoy the island's reefs on your trip. Remember, the ocean is very salty and that will iritate your throat and eyes so if you can, learn now. I am a certified diver but have not done so in many years. I am practicing snorkeling again because I'm going to Tahiti and have chosen three great snorkel trips and want to be prepared to have a great time.

Sodey
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Great advice Tom!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks, I may get some gear and practice in the pool!

Aruba Reviews
Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

My son and I use "dry" snorkels sold by Body Glove. These have a valve which prevents water from entering your mouth. When the snorkel top gets in water, the valve closes and no water gets in the snorkel. I like it a lot. You can find them all over the place on the internet, and probably locally. I bought ours from Herrington Catalog, although I probably could find them cheaper elsewhere. I got sets with snorkels and masks (great masks too). They also have nice flippers, although I don't use flippers.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks Dave, I really want to try. But I will let you in on a secret. I can't swim. But I have been told it is okay. My husband will be with. That the life jacket will be all I need..kind of scared. But I want so much to try.

Aruba Reviews
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
I would love to learn how to snorkel I can swim pretty well, I just don't know about that snorkeling.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM

I will let you know if I get nerve to try it..hahhaha...I hope you try it some day.!

Aruba Reviews
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Snorkeling is one of the highlights of cruising for me. I have one of the Body Glove tubes that Dave mentioned. I take my own gear when driving to a port. The Shore Excursion desk now sells inexpensive tubes if you don't want to put rental tubes in your mouth.

Come on Spiritfilled, you can do it!

Dwayne

Closed Thread