Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 02:09 PM

A little Cloros or Lysol goes a long way. I worked in a hospital for over 15 years nad the housekeepers swore by it. I now use it at home to spray down everything, especially the beds after guess, no offense to my family!!!LOL

Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM

So what happens when you have to leave your cabin and go where other critters lurk? Reminds me of the movie "A boy in a bubble".

Sonny
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM

ChucksOK,

I have never watched the show, so I don't know if your comment was a compliment or an insult.

I just spray the stuff down and wash my hands, I think is common sense to be aware of how germs are spread.

IslandCruz
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM

I think I might be more concerned about what little bug I might pick up on a public beach or cab. Be carefull, but not to the point that you can't have fun. Remember Howard Hughes.

Caribbean Vacation Links

Beaches Resorts by SandalsCaribbean Travel Articles
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM

I don't go over board either, that is a different topic on here

I was just trying to point out some things people might do that they maybe unaware of that spreads germs and viruses. I don't consider spraying my bathroom with lysol all that crazy. Or using wet ones or germ-x before I handle my food.

It is pretty funny to be referenced to Movies, TV Characters, and Howard Hughes.

I clean my own bathroom with lysol at least once a week, why wouldn't I give a spray on one a total stranger has been in? I wash my own sheets, why would I want a blanket from a total stranger's bed against my face?

I don't consider it all that extreme, but have reffered to myself as a germ freak, but is in comparison to the nasty things I have seen people do.

Everytime they have a sickness outbreak on one of the ships the news will show them cleaning all the chairs and railings etc. Does anyone think the people all kissed each other?

I am just a little more aware and cautious on my cruise for the very reason I want to spend it having fun, not being sick.

The Comics can make fun of me all they want

Here is even more fodder for you, when I use a public restroom I try to not touch the door knob after washing my hands
Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Here is even more fodder for you, when I use a public restroom I try to not touch the door knob after washing my hands

Same here I use the paper towel and try to score a two pointer in the trash can before it closes.
if theres no paper towel's ill use one pinky to open the door.
As allways any door that is a push open such as bathrooms or even at Taco bell Ill push it open with my closed fist using my knuckels...

I never use the hand rails on a ship. if I do ill use something between my hand and the rail like my sleeve of my sports coat or just rest my fore arm against it as I go.

Keeping your hands Clean is the most important thing you can do.
as for sleeping in used bedding...lol I've slept around enough to get used to that

I allways do a quick inspection when I pull down the Blankets.

However this trip I will be extra careful on being as close to Felix Unger as Possible. Since this ship was a Feema disaster assitance ship for Katrina.
Imagine going to the Super Dome and using those handrails?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 AM

Oh God I wished I hadn't seen this topic. Having 4 kids we went throughthe whole Scabie thing. Even went to the Childrens hospital to try and get it fixed but good clean people, people who aren't poor or living in destitute areas get scabies. I believe we had this predator in our home and affecting our family because it did go around the school for which my children attended that year. Scabies are incredibly hard to get under control and spread like wildfire. If someone got it from a towel, then I would believe a good portion of a ship would have picked up scabies. Its a terribly thing to try to control once its there and a ship is SO contained. For linens, the only thing that gets rid of the little critters is washing in boiling water, all stuffed animals from the kids were bagged in garbage bags and set outside for a minimum of 2 weeks. (For us we left them out there for about 2 months!) I'm not trying to discount anyone but I do find it hard to believe that only one person got scabies on a cruise (Just because I know how horrible there are to control once they are LET LOOSE and how easy they spread) If one person got scabies on a ship, then a good portion should have gotten it. Folks, scabies are far more worse in the "Spreading Department" than Head Lice..... OMG I'm off this subject right now because I find myself scratching as I post this!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOctober:
However this trip I will be extra careful on being as close to Felix Unger as Possible. Since this ship was a Feema disaster assitance ship for Katrina.
Imagine going to the Super Dome and using those handrails?
This thread is about the Carnival Triumph. This ship was not used for the FEMA relief. The Holiday, Sensation, and Ecstasy were used for FEMA. All three of those ships were refurbished after the contract. So there should be no FEMA germs for you to worry about.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:25 AM

Wow. There is a lot of misinformation on this topic. First, as others have said, scabies and bed bugs are not the same thing.

Neither is common in nursing homes. There is no pandemic in NYC or anywhere else.

Handwashing is the number one way to combat other infections.

But, once scabies are brought into an area, nothing will get rid of them until the entire area (or cabin) is professionally disinfected. They do settle into furniture.

Once a human is infected, there is need for reasonable isolation while a 48 hour treatment regimen is undergone. After that, there is no more scabies unless the human returns to clothing or furniture that has not been disinfected.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Just to add to the note to what TTNYC has said about Scabies, its sooo very easy to REinfect with scabies because most times its sitting in your furniture, clothing you have forgotten to launder, or didn't launder properly. (Water in washing machine HAS to be HOT. And One more thing about the little critters, is you really can't see them other than maybe a small black speck tiny tiny tiny. all you really see if flakey small patches of skin. The also live for up to 2 weeks I believe without coming in human contact. When you have scabies, your whole house including furniture, carpetting, toys, clothing your vehicle, etc have to be cleaned. This is a horrible bug to rid yourself of when it does happen. By the way on bedbugs, I'm sure everyone here know these tips I'll mention, but I saw it on GLobal news and will relay it here.

Flip your matress to look for black spots
Check on the piping (The nooks and crannies that attach the materials together) on your bed matress and look for black specks
check the headboard and look there also. Easiest way to combat bedbugs is just to look all throughout the matress before sleeping on it.

When I go to hotels now after seeing the info on the news, I always look on every matress I sleep on. Hate to sound paranoid but that way I'm not taking any unwanted stray pets home to my family of 6 total!

Closed Thread

Tags
bed, bug, caribbean, carnival, catch, celebration, cruise, destiny, line, machine, phone, scabbies, scabies, sheets, ships, washing