Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2006, 03:04 PM

with the wireless routers do the laptops work on board and if not what do they charge for e mail
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 PM

You're on vacation, leave the lap tops at home. If you absolutely, positively, cannot do without email for a week, you can use their internet cafe. I believe it was $25.00 for 30 minutes, it was a bit pricey, but on one cruise we were in the midst of selling our house and unfortunately had to use email--but only once. I doubt your router will work for anything other than adhoc, I may be wrong and they would broadcast their SSID, but I doubt it. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by camper123:
with the wireless routers do the laptops work on board and if not what do they charge for e mail
Many newer ships are equipped with WiFi capability. This allows WiFi able laptops to pick up the network at various hotspots around the ship, which may include your cabin.

Prices vary from cruise line to line, and packages are generally available, where the more minutes you pre-pay, the lower the price per minute. Without a package, prices start in the 50-75 cent per minute range.

As was stated, you could leave your laptop home and use the ship's internet cafe. Be aware, however, that connection speed is often very slow when out at sea.

Sandy
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM

sandy..thank you. It is more for the kids and have to check their mail everyday, if you know what I mean
Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 AM
As far as I know there is WiFi available at the internet cafe on all Carnival ships. They have ship wide WiFi on the Valor and will be adding it to other ships as well. Keep in mind that this will be a pretty slow connection.

If you buy the time by the minute it will be 75 cents per minute. If you buy a block of time you can get it as low as 55 cents.

If all you need to do is check email I would use their computers and not cary the laptop around.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 05-22-2006, 02:05 PM

Leave the laptop at home. The kids will be so busy that they will forget about email. At $25 for 30 minutes, if they are that hard up for email, make them pay for it themselves. At the slow data rates you may get at sea, it may take 30 minutes just to download the spam.

The other option is to wait until you get to port. I'm sure Cozmel and Grand Cayman have internet cafe that may have cheaper rates than the ship.

Or, introduce the kiddos to that long forgotten form of communication called "the postcard". It will make their heads spin to think anyone actually survived in the olden days.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-22-2006, 04:12 PM

jim c...thanks for making me laugh. How true it is.

Closed Thread