Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM

No one can tell you if you will be disappointed. Dave said it best when he said they are very similar. Yes, RCI ships have some things the CCL ships don't, but the reverse is true also.

That is the beauty of competition. Different companies with products for different tastes.

I promise you you won't hate it - go with an open mind, and decide for your self if you like Carnival. Nothing says you can't return to RCI if you don't and who knows, you may find you like both and have that many more choices.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM

As usual everyone has been very helpful. I tend to get motion sick, that's why we stuck to the big RCCL ships at the advice of travel agents. Last cruise I did the patch and we were in an aft cabin (at the advice of this web site, I loved it, the view was unbeatable). It was a little rocky, but with the patch on I never felt sick, it's a miracle patch!!! FYI...I get car sick just reading a map!!! Try it if you have motion sickness, I had a little blurred vision, but that was it.
We plan on taking the Carnival trip now that some of my fears have been answered.....now we just have to pick a cabin, any ideas?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM

I would consider Mid-Ship Deck 6 (Upper) because it is convenient to the Promenade Deck, and is the lowest deck with balconies.

Dwayne
Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM

We are CCL fans but did go on RCI 2 times just to see for ourselves. We like balconys and the difference was $800 to see a ice show. CCL food and entertainment was better all around. We did NCL and Princess they are all very close. Reall didn't like NCL, we like to have the same table for dinner. Were glad we tried them but will now stay with CCL need to hit all the new ships and the military price we get from CCL is great.

Cruise #28 on Carnival Cruise line
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM

I'm not picky about cabin selections, but love balcony rooms. Mid-ship is supposed to be more stable. I'd like to try an aft cabin sometime for the view. Let us know what you select
Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I've been on both RCCL (once) and Carnival (twice) and I would say overall we preferred Carnival. Overall I would say Carnival's buffet is far superior, RCCL had the slight edge in the main dining room and had better production shows, but we liked the layout, style and decor of Carnival better (even if it is quite...eye-popping at first Carnival's staterooms also were larger and had a better layout. But I doubt you'll be disappointed either way!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the great information everyone. We're going with a tour group, so I don't know exactly where my cabin is going to be. I did ask for midship and not down too low. Many people have said that Carnival has much better shows (which I love) so I'm really looking forward to it!! One more question......is the restaurant that is $30/person worth it......we would like to try it one night?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
is the restaurant that is $30/person worth it......we would like to try it one night?
Without question, yes.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by christinelee10:
Thanks for all the great information everyone. We're going with a tour group, so I don't know exactly where my cabin is going to be. I did ask for midship and not down too low. Many people have said that Carnival has much better shows (which I love) so I'm really looking forward to it!! One more question......is the restaurant that is $30/person worth it......we would like to try it one night?
My husband question to that is why pay $30 per person when you get food for free. Do anyone have an answer that I can tell him regarding this????? Sorry not to get off of the topic but it was swaying this way........

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My husband question to that is why pay $30 per person when you get food for free.
None of the food is "free". You are paying for it.

I used to be against the extra-fee restaurants because I saw it as nickel-and-diming. I've changed my mind on it because they truly offer something that is worth the price - at least to me. I am a foodie and decided I was being silly in ignoring a fine dining experience. The cruise lines haven't gotten carried away with the prices.

The specialty restaurants offer a 5-star dining experience. You aren't going to find that level of service and food for $30 anywhere else.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, carribean, compare, cruise, cruising, disappointed, fun, liberty, line, norwegian, rcl, review, reviews, royal, stateroom, versus, vs