Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't know why, but when Carnival found out that the only flight option from near me to Florida would get in too close for their comfort, they offered a flight the day before-and a free room that night.

Why don't you ask?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Yes, since Carnival did the air they will be waiting for you and make every effort to avoid leaving without you. But only to a point. This is why it is NEVER a good idea to book a flight for the same day as the cruise....because something could happen (security event, weather, etc.) at your home airport, or really any other airport, which could delay your arrival at the cruise port. So if something happens which delays your arrival until 9pm for instance, the ship will be long gone.

Why did you go with the cruise line air? It is rarely cheaper than doing your own air, where you also have more control over the flight times.
Dave, although i agree with the control part, we chose cruise air for 3 reasons: a) The were no more flights available to book privatly and b) cruise air was 200 US cheaper per person than on the open market and c) the late arrival guarantee. I have to say though, because we are flying out of TOR, our options on flights are limited.
However next time we will definetely book a day ahead. You learn with every cruise

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 02-14-2007, 05:59 PM

The reason I booked air & cruise together is because I did not know any better. Wish I had!! I thought I would keep in simple and do it all together. Never again! If you have not booked your cruise...do not do it! Go down the day before. I know better now for future cruises.

We leave on Sunday, and as I wrote in my post about being worried, we land at LAX at 1:15, that leaves little time to get to the port and that is with no problems (and I am traveling with 3 kiddies!). I have faith...we will get there, extra prayers that morning. :-)

However, I did try to change my flight. First I called one number at Carnival, she is the one who informed "Try not to think like that.". She told me I could call the airline, they are the only ones who could help. So, I can Alaska...no, they can not help because it is a group ticket with no price. Ugh! She said we could get to the airport earlier, which I will, and fly stand-by. There are 5 us, but worth a try. So, I call 1-800-Carnival back and get a vacation planner. He made me feel better, boat will wait, etc.

So, all this to say, book your own flights and go the day before. You will have no choice on airline times.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zita:
The reason I booked air & cruise together is because I did not know any better. Wish I had!! I thought I would keep in simple and do it all together. Never again! If you have not booked your cruise...do not do it! Go down the day before. I know better now for future cruises.

We leave on Sunday, and as I wrote in my post about being worried, we land at LAX at 1:15, that leaves little time to get to the port and that is with no problems (and I am traveling with 3 kiddies!). I have faith...we will get there, extra prayers that morning. :-)

However, I did try to change my flight. First I called one number at Carnival, she is the one who informed "Try not to think like that.". She told me I could call the airline, they are the only ones who could help. So, I can Alaska...no, they can not help because it is a group ticket with no price. Ugh! She said we could get to the airport earlier, which I will, and fly stand-by. There are 5 us, but worth a try. So, I call 1-800-Carnival back and get a vacation planner. He made me feel better, boat will wait, etc.

So, all this to say, book your own flights and go the day before. You will have no choice on airline times.
I called my TA because i was worried as well and i called Carnival, but they both informed me that it would have been another 50$ each to change the flight. And after all the horror stories i heard about changing planes numerous times, i was pleasantly surprised that we got a direct AA flight from TOR to MIA.
But as you said next time definetly a day ahead.

Caribbean Travel Photos

03-08 Carnival Triumph
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 AM

I know that I have tried to change. I talked with Carnival and they said to contact the airline. My TA called Carnival and got the same response and the airline said sure we can change....that will be $100 each. I will simply hope and pray that we have no delays.

Time to start packing!!!

Rex Resorts
Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 AM

We are supposed to arrive in MIA at 12.45 am
I have checked flightstats and even with our super storm here yesterday, the flight was 57 minutes late at the gate. So i am cautiously optimistic.
I also think the there is some kind of relationship with American Airlines and CCL which makes me sleep a little better.

Caribbean Travel Photos

03-08 Carnival Triumph
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 AM

We may try to get to the airport for an earlier flight and fly stand-by. That will only cost me and additional $25 ea. that will be well worth it. My TA is watching the flight to see how booked it is so we can decide whether or not to try it.

Rex Resorts
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Another tip is when you get there ask how many seats there are in first class. Sometimes you can upgrade to first class for an extra $150 per person. When you fly from Canada and you are in the air for seven hours well worth the extra 150

Closed Thread

Tags
arrival, arrivals, carnival, cruise, delay, miami, port