Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM

We are booked on the Liberty on Feb 25. Carnival sent us our book the other day and it has us on a flight that arrives in Ft Lauderdale @ 2:11 the day of the cruise and shows embarking time as 1:30-3:00. The cruise sails at 4:00. Should I be concerned about cutting it too close time wise? If we get a blast of snow that morning I may be delayed. I would hate to have my first cruise start that way.

Any thoughts?

Rex Resorts
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM

bobo--that sounds a little tight to me too. I'd call one of the Cruise Consultants and see if they could help you:

1-800-227-6482

They're there 24/7.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

I agree that this is far too tight. I wouldn't risk it. As the ship sails at 4:00, they'll need you to be onboard by 3:30. I'd call Carnival, as Islandman suggested. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 AM

I have to agree with the others who have responded to your post, On a perfect day you land a few minutes early, so lets say 2 pm, make your way to baggage in the large airport 10 min, , collect your bags, {mine are usually last} 15 min then find your way to the car 10 min that will take you to the cruise port, approx 30-45 min with no traffic,,, so needless to say Way too close,,, that makes it now @3: 15 , with no glitch’s and hoping you arrive a little early,

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the input! I had already called our Travel agent, and the response she got from Carnival was that "They do this all the time. There will be someone waiting for you at baggage claim and be able to get you right to the ship." There is an earlier flight and we are looking into it. Worst case scenario, we are going to go to the airport and try to get the earlier flight on Standby.

Rex Resorts
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Lots of good questions. Apparently you booked the air through Carnival. This means they have guarenteed your arrival, They will hold the ship for a reasonable time and if they have to sail they will fly you free to the first port and put you up free until the ship arrives. The guarentee may have changed a bit so look it up with Carnival. I was on the Triumph when they delayed departure by 3 hrs waiting for a plane. We didn't care we were having fun and we still arrived at the next port as scheduled. We even gave a big cheer when the party of 30 arrived. They were really grateful.

I understand your concerns and that is partially why I do my own air now, and go a day early. If you do find an earlier flight call the carnival number in your book and tell them, they still try to accomodate guests regardless of your prior arrangments but the guarentee may no longer apply if you change. I hope that Carnival can change it for you. But they are correct, they do it all the time, even with CREW.

Give a big Happy Birthday to Dancer Linda if you see her, Feb 26.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 AM

I feel you will be ok since Carnival is aware and all.
I have found it is so much nicer to fly in the day before,I book with Orbitz,and get a Hotel close to the Ships pier. We normally get on the ship between 11am and 12am eat and lounge by the pool with a "fun ship" Its like having a extra day at sea. You must remember to put your swim suite in you carry on, as your luggage wont be available for a while
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Yes, since Carnival did the air they will be waiting for you and make every effort to avoid leaving without you. But only to a point. This is why it is NEVER a good idea to book a flight for the same day as the cruise....because something could happen (security event, weather, etc.) at your home airport, or really any other airport, which could delay your arrival at the cruise port. So if something happens which delays your arrival until 9pm for instance, the ship will be long gone.

Why did you go with the cruise line air? It is rarely cheaper than doing your own air, where you also have more control over the flight times.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 AM

I have taken four flights since Thanksgiving on American. Everyone of them has been delayed (on 2 of the four, both sides of the trip were delayed) The minimum delay was 20 mins. the max.. 2 hours. If you happen to hit a bad weather day or a mechanincal problem, the ship will be gone by the time you get there. If at all possible DO NOT risk it because "they do it all the time". If you can get on the earlier flight, I would do so. Sure, they guarantee that they will fly you to the first port if you are late, but then you missed at least a night of cruising if not a day too. I'd rather be having fun on the ship waiting for late arrivals then being stressed out because I was a late arrival.

We normally go in the day before. Its worth the cost of a hotel stay to avoid the hassle AND I can be on the ship early and get more cruising time in...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
They will hold the ship for a reasonable time and if they have to sail they will fly you free to the first port and put you up free until the ship arrives.
This exact scenario happened to one of my friends last year.

bobo, is it too late for you to consider arriving the day before the ship leaves?

Closed Thread

Tags
arrival, arrivals, carnival, cruise, delay, miami, port