Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Yep, its me again! I have narrowed my choice down for my Alaskan cruise between these two Spirit and Diamond. The cost is about the same so that is not my concern. I just want what is best for my money, but doesn't everyone!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 AM

You cannot go wrong with either of these fine ships. I found the food and service to be equal.

Re Carnival Spirit: free capaccuinos (sp) on Carnival in the dining room if you request them, even though this is not listed on menu. You can do this all three meals in the dining room, not in the buffet. Large cabins. Good entertainment, with a great hypnotist if he still works for them (did in March of this year). Tea time in in a very charming location with music for days at sea only. Upgrades are more common on Carnival than Princess, particularly if you book a guarantee category. Beds are extremely comfortable with very nice linens on the Spirit.
Carnival negatives: No future booking program with onboard credit. the only 24 hour food available is pizza (and, of course, beverages.

Re Princess: Princess positives: 24 hour buffet; classier looking ship (the other is beautiful, but in a gaudy style) Anytime dining is offered as well as a fixed time, and the flexibility is nice. they have tea time every day, not just on at sea days. Onboard credit for booking of a future cruise which is significant. Princess negative: coffee is lousy, and you have to pay for specialty coffee or buy a coffee card.

The above is just my opinion. Hope it helps you.
Ellie
Old 08-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacationbound:
Yep, its me again! I have narrowed my choice down for my Alaskan cruise between these two Spirit and Diamond. The cost is about the same so that is not my concern. I just want what is best for my money, but doesn't everyone!
We have been on the Spirit once to Mexico, and her sister ship the Pride twice. He layout and staff is hard to beat. The stateroom are larger than the other ships we have been on ( HAL's Zaandam and Princess's Sun)

Here is a link to some Spirit photos.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your help. GDJOSLIN those were great pictures. I haven't even went on my first cruise yet, and I am already looking into booking my second one!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 PM

We have been on both ships and price being equal I would pick the Diamond Princess everytime. I agree with the other posts that the Carnival Sprit has a great layout. But, they also have problems their Azipod Drive system which makes it very noisy in the dining room,,,expecially if you are near the stern where it can be hard to hear over the racket. The Diamond Princess also gives you Movies under the Stars (MUTS) which also works during the daytime.

Hank
Old 08-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi, we just did the Diamond cruise to Alaska and it was wonderful. We will go back on this hip the next time. I don't know why the one comment about the coffee, it was great and the pop card was a life saver. My wife and I each purchase the pop card and it came in very nice as we don't drink the hard stuff. The boat is very clean and the staff was great.
Keith from Toronto Canada
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Don't want to start a fight here, but I agree with SD Cruiser: the coffee is terrible. Once in a while I got a good cup, usually in the buffet, but overall, pretty bad.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM

F-mattox, you are not starting a fight, as everyone has difference opinion on coffee. We are use to our famous Tim Horton coffee which I have everyday. ON the ship my wife and I had aboyut 5 cups per day and she is very pickly on her coffe and she had no problem.
Thanks for your feedback.
Keith

Closed Thread

Tags
alaksan, alaska, buffet, carnival, compared, cruise, diamond, hour, layout, location, movies, princess, review, ship, spirit, stars