Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM

I don't use credit cards. Period. I do have a debit card...but would prefer to utilize cash on my trip. Can you board with cash only? And fund your Sign and Sail account with cash? Or...do they require a credit card? I have read ther post that stated a credit card would have to be presented at boarding time.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Welcome to cruise chat, new_cruiser!! I am not sure if you have visited the Carnival website. I took the liberty of copying and pasting the link to the Carnival Sail & Sign Information.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hi everyone,

It is best to just post a link instead of copying and pasting information. Those copyright issues, you know.

As you can see at the link, the cruise line will require a certain amount of cash as a deposit at embarkation. You can also use a Visa or Mastercard debit card, but be aware they will put a hold on the money in the checking account.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Sorry about that...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry about that...
No worries. Most likely Carnival doesn't mind it, but why take the chance?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM

we always put cash down for our sign and sail. it works for us. We do it so we can better monitor our spending.
any money you have left is given back to you in cash the night before when you close out your account. or they will give you a check under the door the last morning.
didnt close out mine on the last cruise, if was only like 23 cents. they slipped a check under my door. still have the check here somewhere.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM

thanks macmom111. Your explanation is perfect...and that is exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I have read ther post that stated a credit card would have to be presented at boarding time.
Hi new_cruiser, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

The Embarkation Process section's wording on the site isn't the best. I can see why it would be confusing. You should consider taking the funds as Traveler's Checks though, just to be on the safe side.

Dwayne
Old 06-12-2008, 10:12 AM

I understand why some hesitate to own or use credit cards in their daily life. However, when traveling they have some built in protections you cannot get any other way, even with debit cards. A credit card can be disputed for unauthorized charges and disputes on charges. Some debit cards have the same ability but with some financial responsibility for up to a certain dollar amount on the holder. A lost or stolen CC can have stops put on with limited or no liability if reported in a timely manner. This cannot be done with lost/stolen cash. Although Travelers Checks have some similar protections, they can be a hassle to use, get change from, etc. For travel outside the country, I'd strongly advise the use of a credit card for as many things as possible. Even if you don't want debt associated with your travel, you can always pay the balance when the statement comes in with no interest charges if paid in full. There is no better way to protect yourself while traveling than using a CC.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM

we always carry a credit card with us. I dont want to be in a stuck in an emergency. we just dont use it for our sign and sail. on our first cruise we used travelers checks for sign and sail worked fine, the ship would cash them before we went ashore.
but for our sign and sail they take cash. not a problem.

Closed Thread

Tags
better, card, cards, carnival, cash, credit, cruise, cruises, cruize, debit, give, lost, pay, princess, secure, ship, stopen