Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Sorry for all the questions...

We are a young couple that needs to be careful with spending our money. Good thing is we don't gamble and don't drink alcholic beverages. My question is this- how bad/good is the tap water? I drink tap water all the time in Tallahassee, but in other parts of Florida it is HORRIBLE. What's it like on the ship? And, can you bring bottled water on to the ship if you want?

Other question- one of the things I am most excited about is dressing up! Do people get really dressed up or is it only for the special restaurant where you have to pay? During the day, if we walk around in pretty casual clothes are we going to get looks? I looked at a website and was pretty surprised at how strict the dress code seems to be according to this lady (cruisediva.com). Does Carnival actually announce what the dress code will be each day/night?

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi Desiree and welcome aboard!

In the daily newsletter, Carnival Capers, the dress code for the dining room will be printed. On a 7-day cruise there are two formal nights, 5 or less usually one. If you enjoy dressing up, you'll enjoy these nights. All other nights in the dining room is "smart casual," with shorts and jeans prohibited. If you nwant to dress more formal on those nights also, feel free. Unless you are super-formal, you will not be the only ones. During the days, you can wear most anything from preppy casual to bum-wear! You'll even see some in Hawaiian shirts, shirts, and black knee socks.

As for the water, the ships all have elaborate purification systems. I have never had a problem drinking it, although mine is usually mixed with a little Crown!

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM

the water is fine my wife is very picky and she liked the water, on the formal night at dinner is fun to dress up get your picture taken they are very nice to have. daytime just caasual like everyone says.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Desiree00

I agree with the others about the dress code. I love to dress on formal night. Full Kilt the first night and Tux the second. Be sure to get a formal picture, it will cost something but is the best memento of our trips that we have.

And you can bring on water and soda on board if you like. When you get off at the ports you can buy bottles water cheaper than the ship as well. However for me I find the tap water on the ship just fine and will fill my water bottle with it. Somewhere hidden away on the ship will be a Vending Machine, Still expensive but it avoids the automatic gratuity of having someone bring it to you. You may also want to check out the unlimited Soda Bargins, you can pay a one time fee and get unlimited soda refils at any bar. It could work out for you.

You may have read on another thread that one way to cut cost is to use room service the night before port. The food is free just tip. Then keep put it in Zip Lock that you brought with you and keep it cool on the ice until the next day for lunch on shore. I havn't tried it but it sounds good.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:59 AM

If you can drink Florida water.. then you can drink anything...

But seriously, the tap water on the cruise ships is made on board. Meaning that it is distilled and purified from the sea water. So it is very pure and clean. My wife drinkes a lot of water on the cruises and never has had a problem with the taste. She always brings a bottle our two of bottled water and then rinses and refills the bottles from the tap or from the water dispensers at the buffet lines.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Let me add my two pesos to this.....

Ship's water is perfectly fine. It is the only water I drink while on cruises. I used to "make" potable water during my Navy years and I'm still alive and kicking! The ship's have distilling plants, but they also fill up their tanks while in port. Whatever the source, all the water is tested and purified. Don't waste your money on the overpriced bottled water - which often is of a lesser quality than the water you get from your cabin faucet.

I also have seen the strange garb tncruiseman mentions.....otherwise normal men who for some reason think black knee socks and wingtips are appropriate to wear with shorts and a tropical shirt.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Hi there. I went on my first cruise last year with Carnival. They said that jeans and shorts were prohibited in the dining room ANY night, but I saw plenty of people that were dressed more casually. They aren't going to tell you you can't come in - its just a suggestion (as far as I witnessed). The buffet is extremely casual. You would not feel out of place eating there with a swim suit, coverup and flip flops. On formal nights - do it up! I wore an old prom dress and fit in perfectly. People get very into it, wearing tuxes and long, formal gowns with gloves! Its one of the few times you get to go all out, so go for it. You'll have a blast!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
otherwise normal men who for some reason think black knee socks and wingtips are appropriate to wear with shorts and a tropical shirt.
Were we on the same cruise?

On formal night they also take formal pictures, it is a good chance to get a nice picture of you and you loved one.
On Carnival I too have seen many shorts in the dinning room on the non-formal night.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Oooooh I am so excited about the comments on the dress code! I'm ready to go all out now. Since the prom and homecoming days, I never have a chance anymore. And by the way, I CAN'T deal with Florida water- it is absolutely horrible. HOWEVER, Tallahassee (where I live) happens to have great water- the only place in Florida apparently. Sounds like all that will work out though. Thanks for all the other tips on saving money. Much appreciated!

Closed Thread