Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Taking alcoholic beverages on board cruise (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/16079-taking-alcoholic-beverages-board-cruise.html)

pasander 07-14-2006 02:02 PM

Hi! A group of us are scheduled on the Legend on 12/2/06. There are many days "at sea," and we were thinking to take aboard several bottles of wine to enjoy in our cabin, but weren't sure if luggage is scanned/searched and this might be a problem. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Mandi 07-14-2006 02:07 PM

this is directly from Carnival's website

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of nonalcoholic beverages. All liquor, excessive quantities of wine and nonalcoholic beverages, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board -

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

penny3333 07-14-2006 02:12 PM

I usually buy a 4 pack of splits and put them in my carry-on suitcase, that way, if they are confiscated, I have not lost too much money. They do scan all luggage. I have known of people that put various beverages in plastic containers as well. So far, they've not confiscated my splits, but you never know. Best wishes!!

pasander 07-14-2006 02:27 PM

Thanks for the information. I had read the official policy, but wasn't sure of anyone's real life experience. Thank you!

Bdog 07-14-2006 03:27 PM

I have always put as many bottles of wine, many which have had the wine removed and replaced with 12 year old scotch, into my luggage and have never had a problem. And as a matter of fact, we have carried water bottles on board in port which have been filled with vodka or some other clear liquor, no problem.

7thSon 07-21-2006 12:01 AM

Pack your luggage full of booze and then get some large cooler chests that have wheels and a pull handle. Pack your clothing in the coolers and take them on as carry ons. It will confuse securtiy at the screening stations. Just tell them that you can't afford luggage and the coolers are the strongest, safest and most water proof things you have to pack your clothes in.

Dwayne 07-21-2006 03:00 AM

I really don't reccomend 7thson's idea. If you want to take on a few bottles of wine or hard liqour just wrap them well in the checked bags. And I personally don't want to be confusing any security people. A few bottles of wine is acceptable for in cabin use, but they may impose a corkage fee for dinner.

IslandCruz

Dwayne 07-21-2006 03:25 AM

I also want to make mention for anyone with a problem, that it will be listed in Capers discreetly as "Friends of Bill" or other type thing for meeting times.

penny3333 07-21-2006 07:08 AM

I think 7th Son's on to something! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

fivepoints 07-21-2006 07:52 AM

Maybe the cruise line is afraid if people bring their own liquor, they'll get way too drunk onboard(?) I am happy to say I did not see any disturbingly drunk people on our cruise. I had heard and read horror stories on cruise chat, but nothing materialized on the ship. (Whew!).