Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Hello all. I am going on my first cruise 8/18/07 out of Mobile, AL. I will be alone and need any and all advice or information you veterans can offer. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow, there are so many things to say. Is there anything specific you have questions about?

I have done all my cruises solo so I can answer a lot of questions about that.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Read and post cruise reviews

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Hi Larry. I honestly don't know what to ask. Kinda nervous going by myself but want to be sure and get the most out of it. I really enjoy the sun and the beach; not much of a gambler since I'm surrounded by it down here on the MS coast. Suggestions?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Check out the excursions, find something interesting that you would like to see. Bring a good book and just soak in the sun. Make sure you go to the entertainment onboard. Do some dancing, take any classes offered, meet and greet new people. There is so much to do and you will find out...SO LITTLE TIME:-)....Be open to having a Grand time.....

Bob E
Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

Ok...first of all, you will have a marvelous time.

The Holiday is a small but fun ship. The only thing it does not have that other Carnival ships have is the tall atrium that you see in all the ads. Some people don't realize that and I did not want you to be expecting it and be disappointed. The Celebration is the only other Carnival ship without the multi story atrium.

Other than that, it has everything needed for a great cruise. We have sailed on her many times and every time has been fun.

You will get a Caper (newsletter) every day in your cabin to tell you what is going on the next day. There will be one waiting for you when you arrive in your cabin for that evening's activities.

Here are some tips:

Bring about $50 in 1 dollar bills. Room service is free...but we do tip $1. There will be door hangers in your room if you want a continental breakfast delivered at a certain time in the morning. You simply fill it out and hang it on your door the night before. Be sure to mark everytning you need. (IE if you are getting bagels..then you also want to mark cream cheese) They also come in handy for requesting a special song at the piano bar.
On the Holiday, the Piano Bar can be hard to find...but it is there across from the Library.

At dinner, order anything you want. If you want 2 appetizers and 3 desserts...go for it.
Also cappicino and expressos in the formal dining room are free. They cost extra on the Promenade.

If you are into karaoke, they will have that every night. The time and place will be in the Caper. If you have your own CDGs, take them. Sometimes the selection can be limited.

It is ok to take your own soda and water. I would carry that on to prevent any spillage in the luggage. All carry ons must be able to fit through the security device like at the airport.

Ports:

Both ports you are going to are very safe. No worries there.

Cozumel is my favorite. There are more taxis than sand and the entire island is tourist friendly. If you want to swim with the dolphins, then I would recommend a ship excursion to make sure you get a spot . Anything else can be done on your own.
Food and drinks at any resort or major restaurant is fine. They have a Carlos N Charlies and Senor Frogs and a Margaritaville.
All of those are downtown.

If you tender in, it will be about a $5-6 taxi ride (for 4 people) one way to go downtown. If you dock at Punta Langosta, there will be no need for a taxi into town...you can walk. You will know if you are at Punta Langosta because Carlos N Charlies will be at the end of it. Margaritaville is about 3 -4 blocks to the right.

If you want quiet beach time, I would book the Nachi Cocum for $49.00. This includes everything, all your food and drink. The Taxi (for 4 people) is $15 one way. Not sure about one person.

If you want fun, then I would recommend Paradise Beach. There is no entrance fee. They just expect you to eat/drink $10 worth.
Lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas, CLEAN restrooms...are all free. You can purchase an optional $9 wristband to use their nonmotorized water toys (iceberg, water trampolines, snorkeling equipment, kayaks and floats). There will be an additional deposit for some equipment but you get that back when you bring the equipment back. They also have independent vendors in case you want to jet ski, ride the banana boar, parasail, or just get a massage on the beach ($1 per minute with a 20 minute minimum). They have lockers for rent as well.
Taxi again will run $14 for 4 people one way.

Don't worry about getting a taxi back there, there are hundreds. And if on some RARE occasion there is not one waiting to take you back to the ship, the staff of any resort can call you one.

Remember to keep your watch on SHIP time. The Holiday will have a clock as you walk off the ship to check against your watch.

Costa Maya is a neat little beach village. Very primitive. It is $3 per person to ride the bus from the port into 'town'! We just stayed in the port area that has shopping and a huge pool. But that was because we have seen more than our share of thatched huts. I have read several posts about vendors pestering people constantly "in town". We never had that problem at the port. So if that kind of thing really bothers you, be prepared if you go into town. I have heard a lot of folks talk about the Cat's Meow. Food and drinks there are safe.

Do everything...you can sleep when you get home!
BTW< hubby was born and raised in Long Beach.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM

You will have a great time on Holiday. If you are alone and want to meet other singles on board, they have a mixer scheduled early in the cruise. The daily "caper" will post the time and place. Personally, I wouldn't book anything in advance because you will meet many friends and probably do things together. Have a blast! We'll be back on the Holiday in October, if she is still there!

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I echo all the comments here about the Holiday. We loved our cruise (family, not single). Mobile is a great port. We visited Cozumel & Calica and had a delightful time in both ports. There are truly a million things to do on and off the ship. Holiday was very comfortable! We've been on Carnival's larger ships, and didn't miss them.

Welcome to Cruise-chat and have a great time!

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information. I'm going through everything including the brochures emailed to me and will be back on here with more questions I'm sure.

You guys have been great.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM
You will be fine traveling alone. Most likely you will be seated with other singles at dinner.

Like someone else posted you can order anything you want at dinner. If there is something you just want to try go ahead and order it. Personally I always get at least two Lobsters on Lobster night. And the Chocolate Melting Cake is a must try for desert...

As for the excursions being the first time I would go with the ones offered through the ship. If for some reason you are late returning on an excursion you book through Carnival the ship will not leave without you.

I have done the Dolphin encounter in Cozumel and had a lot of fun. I also did the Tulum ruins a while back. If you like that kind of thing it is worth while also. It is a LONG excursion though.

Like it has been said room service is free, nothing like a nice cup of coffee in the morning before you leave the cabin. I usually take a bunch of $2 bills to tip the room service people. Pretty much everyone else on the ship gets automatic tips.

I always try to get on the ship early to avoid the long lines of other passengers trying to board. That way you can get on and have a chance to have a nice lunch on the Lido deck (again avoiding long lines) and walk around the ship to see where everything is. I'm not sure how things work at that port but usually in Miami they let us on about 11:45 AM even though the ticket says boarding starts at 1:30 PM.

I'm sure I will think of something else...

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I see they have the Atlantis submarine tour offered there. I have never done the one in Cozumel but the Atlantis sub I took in St. Thomas was great.

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......

Closed Thread

Tags
al, august, cruise, cruises, good, holiday, mid, mobile, place