Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Let's just hope they retire at least one ship.
I agree with Cruise Fanatic. I don't think they are going to be retiring any ships any time soon. They are in the process of refurbishing and "Evolutionizing" all of the Fantasy class ships.

They just recently retired the Holiday from the Carnival brand. It was the last non-conforming ship in the fleet.

Dwayne
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Carnival ought to recycle names of their past ships. At least they are clearly identified with the brand. I have no problem with seeing a new Festivale or Tropicale. At least they aren't borrowing names from other cruise lines.

A new Festivale or Tropicale would be nice but they dont have a class rank but a new ship should really be added to the Splendor Class
Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruiseluva218:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Carnival ought to recycle names of their past ships. At least they are clearly identified with the brand. I have no problem with seeing a new Festivale or Tropicale. At least they aren't borrowing names from other cruise lines.

A new Festivale or Tropicale would be nice but they dont have a class rank but a new ship should really be added to the Splendor Class

There probably won't ever be another Splendor class ship....because it wasn't built for Carnival to begin with. It was built for Costa...when Costa did not have " a place" (ie bookings) to receive it....they stuck a Funnel on it and made it Carnival ship.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
There probably won't ever be another Splendor class ship....because it wasn't built for Carnival to begin with.
Linda,

Once again, thanks for telling me something I didn't know. I never knew the story behind the Splendor but now that I do it explains a lot!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
There probably won't ever be another Splendor class ship....because it wasn't built for Carnival to begin with. It was built for Costa...when Costa did not have " a place" (ie bookings) to receive it....they stuck a Funnel on it and made it Carnival ship.
Thanks LHP, for reminding me of that. I remember now that it was a surprise type of announcement that Carnival would get the ship. I'm getting rusty at my Carnival trivia lately. You always keep me on my toes, and I thank you.

Dwayne
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM

Carnival Corp & Plc usually doesn't build a new class though just for one ship. The Spirit class was used for Carnival Cruise Lines and Costa. Costa has two unnamed ships projected that are close in tonnage to the Splendor.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Funny though, but nobody had a problem with QE2 :-)
The QE2 or QM2 are only used as an abbreviated short way of saying the ships name. They were actually christened as Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth 2. The Renaissance R class ships on the other hand I believe were actually christened as R1, R2, R3. etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 AM

It's always interesting to see what Joe Farcus, the interior designer for Carnival, comes up with for each new ship. I'm told the newest Dream class ship will be more "subdued" than the earlier ships.

I often can't decide if i think he's a genius, or if he has a serious drug problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Sandy,
He is a peculiar man. Back in the late 90's it appeared he was toning things down. Then "Flashback" along comes the Miracle with it's purple grapes, and the pink Splendor. Where does he get his inspiration? "inquiring minds want to know." As with anything though, what one person calls "art", another calls "junk". For instance; a lot of money was spent on an "art sculpture" they put on the Cumberland River near LP Field in Nashville. I think it looks like ??? maybe a piece of a broken roller coaster?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
It's always interesting to see what Joe Farcus, the interior designer for Carnival, comes up with for each new ship. I'm told the newest Dream class ship will be more "subdued" than the earlier ships.

I often can't decide if i think he's a genius, or if he has a serious drug problem.
The Dream did seem to be a little more understated for Farcus.....but then I rarely pay attention to decor. It just isn't something that affects my cruise.

WE had a BLAST on the Dream Dec 3rd!!

Although I will say that read chandilier (sp?) in the AFT theater was tacky looking....

Closed Thread