Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 PM

When I think of Carnival, I can't get Kathy Lee Gifford out of my head for those ads she did back in the 90's. I have avoided a Carnival cruise for two reasons.
1. I like to have a good time, but I like to remember people as they are, not wasted.
2. Food is serious business to me and I have heard that the food is not that great.

I would love to hear what frequent cruisers have to say on the subject.

Chef Ken
Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 PM

When I think of Carnival, I can't get Kathy Lee Gifford out of my head for those ads she did back in the 90's. I have avoided a Carnival cruise for two reasons.
1. I like to have a good time, but I like to remember people as they are, not wasted.
2. Food is serious business to me and I have heard that the food is not that great.

I would love to hear what frequent cruisers have to say on the subject.

Chef Ken
Old 11-10-2006, 03:25 PM

Honestly, I have enjoyed better service on Carnival Cruises, especially in the dining room. Second would be Princess followed by RCCL. RCCL staff was fine but acted like you had the plague on the morning of checkout. If you make the effort to get to know your wait staff on Carnival, they will make sure the meals are prepared to your liking. Now the buffet, is hit or miss like all cruise lines. I do like the fact that Carnival has condiments, incl mustard and ketchup, on the table in the eating areas of the ship, which beats those nasty packets any day. Try the Carnival ship and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Chef Ken,

all I can say is this: I had similar fears prior to taking my first Carnival cruise in 2005, and guess what - I was astonished by how much I liked the product. It's a mass-market product, sure, but a really good one. The food was good to very good, service friendly and efficient and the ship ("Carnival Liberty") by far not as Las Vegas like as I had feared. All in all, I had a wonderful time and I would take Carnival again in a heartbeat.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-10-2006, 05:50 PM

my wife and i just got back from our cruise on carnival food was the best our waite staff was great funny made sure everything was done to our satisfaction every time we have never had this kind of expierence any where i cannot say enough about the food and people that work on carnival room service was really good also
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM

Here Here!

Carnival's product is still the Fun Ships. But that does not mean the Party/Drunk ships of years ago. Most passengers on my recent Elation cruise were older. There are always party people but not that many. And it depends on the time of year you cruise. Compare spring break to this time of year. Also can depend on the length of the cruise.

Carnival's food is exceptional as well as dining room service. They give you more bang for the buck than any other cruise line.

Take at least a 7 day cruise and you will see a whole different Carnival than what you are thinking. Get a reservation at the Supper Club featured on the newer ships and I promise, you will be pleasantly surprised even as a Chef.

Sometimes one has got to grab a little fun in life and leave the critical thinking behind. A change in latitude may be the perfect prescription for a change in attitude.

IslandCruz
Old 11-11-2006, 04:07 AM

i agree with islandcruz our cruise on the elation was great alot of older people, you have to remember its not the cruise line its some people that feel the need to get drunk and cause trouble just have fun and enjoy yourself and ignore the other stuff if it happens we were lucky no problems no party animals it was great
Old 11-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Island Cruz,

Come on, 13 cruises on Carnival ships, what do you have to compare to? I can tell you really like Carnival and I am sure that we will try them in the near future.

One good thing is I have heard that the cabins are bigger. Also, our Maitre' d on Celebrity told us that when he vacations, he goes on Carnival but he said that it was because the food wasn't important to him but the party sure is!

Hmmmm!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

It isn't Kathy Lee Gifford's Carnival anymore. Look here for some of the things they have done recently. Note that Carnival also has a famous chef on staff now - just like Celebrity.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:17 PM

I've been on at least 7 different cruise lines and can say that Carnival's food (in the dining room) included some of the best I've had on cruises, and did not include some of the worst. Disclaimer: food is very subjective.

Personally, though I don't care for the Carnival decor very much, I still think that they do what they do (mass-market cruising) very well. I think, were you to take a Carnival cruise of at least 6 nights, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruises, lines, party, partying, ship, ships