Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Hello everyone,

I just booked my cruise last night. 7-day western carib to Costa Maya, G.Cayman and Ocho Rios with my girlfriend and some of our close friends. We have been planning this since the end of 06, but now that were booked, we were overwhelmed with excitement. I cant stop thinking about it and its 3 months away!!! We are sailing the victory on May 20th to May 27th!! I havent been on a vacation since I was like 12 and this is just something I really need.

Anyways I just registered for this site and this is my first post, yet I have been scouring these forums for the last week or two and the more I read, the more I drool and feen and just GAH. I cant help it lol.

I just have a few questions. I have tried to look around first to not ask something that's been answered many times (like smuggling alchohol) but I'll ask questions I couldnt find clear answers too.

First off, Whats really the difference between assigned and guarenteed? We booked a few guarenteed balconies but according to what I know, assigned means you know where it is, guarenteed means u dont but have a chance to get upgraded. Is that it? Doesnt sound like much of a difference.

Formal night, 2 for a 7 day cruise? and whats acceptable? Girls in dresses men in suits? I dont wanna be the one guy in a suit when everyone else is wearing jeans. Is this dress policy enforced and do the majority of people really dress up?

Tipping. I have a general idea how it goes. But when getting drinks do I tip the bartender with cash? or is it automatically added to my sign and sail (or whatever its called) card.

Hmmm, well thats all for now, im sure I have more questions I'll have to ask later when I remember them.

Oh btw Mr.October, a friend of mine going just happens to be 5'7, blonde, green eyes, looks great in a bikini and usually steals alot of guys attention at bars haha.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Mrichy555:
Hello everyone,

Anyways I just registered for this site and this is my first post, yet I have been scouring these forums for the last week or two and the more I read, the more I drool and feen and just GAH. I cant help it lol.

First off, Whats really the difference between assigned and guarenteed? We booked a few guarenteed balconies but according to what I know, assigned means you know where it is, guarenteed means u dont but have a chance to get upgraded. Is that it? Doesnt sound like much of a difference.

Formal night, 2 for a 7 day cruise? and whats acceptable? Girls in dresses men in suits? I dont wanna be the one guy in a suit when everyone else is wearing jeans. Is this dress policy enforced and do the majority of people really dress up?

Tipping. I have a general idea how it goes. But when getting drinks do I tip the bartender with cash? or is it automatically added to my sign and sail (or whatever its called) card.
end quote

Firstly I edited the quote above so it would not be so long on the response but left the questions for other viewers. So...

You are going to love cruising. It is the best. I think you have the guarenteed room thing right. We did a guarentee the first time but now like to pick our room. Just adds to the excitement for us.
Formal night: Probably 2 on a 7 days cruise. Many people will dress up, Some will be Black Tie even. Other do not and they mostly stay out of the formal area until after dinner. If you are not dressed you may not be allowed into the Party but you will be fine at dinner with regular rules (shirts with collors and nice pants). As for me dressing up is a big part of the fun. I bring 2 Formal Sets and my wife 2 formal dresses. It takes a lot of luggage space but worth it. I wear full Battle Dress Kilt on night 1 and Tuxedo on night 2. This is a great opportunity to get a really pro photo dressed really nice.
Tipping: At a bar or anywhere else if you have someone bring you something a 15% tip is charged to your S&S. If there is something special then tip extra. If your favorite bar gets to know you and set your drink up as you walk in the door, or Perhaps the dinner waiter knows you want expesso after dinner and has it just when you want it, the piano bar guy sings all your favortites, then extra in cash is nice, If it's a bar do it on the spot or the last night. I keep a few dollars in my pocket for instant tips. And room service: the food is free but tip when they bring it like you would a Pizza delivery

Be sure to tell us about the cruise when you return. And don't miss the Big Production numbers, they are spectacular
Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Thx for your reply. Was hoping for more but maybe my post was too long haha.

So the rooms have tele's to call other rooms?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 PM

yes just dial the deck # and cabin #
Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
If you get room service $2 is pretty much the standard tip unless it's a bigger order. I usually take $2 bills for tips like that.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-24-2007, 01:52 AM

Congrats!

Yes, dress up on formal nights.

If you have a regular bartender that looks after you well give them a little extra the last day. If not they already got their 15%.

Like you said not a big difference in assigned and gaurantee. Usually just a difference in getting a higher deck for some unknown reason.

It's the same price and I prefer to pick my cabin.

Have Fun

Closed Thread