Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Does anyone know if you can go to cruise terminal day of sailing and be able to buy tickets if room is available..if so are they cheaper? Just wondering if it would be worth the chance. We are retired and would enjoy a last minute cruise if we so desired. Thanks for your answers.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I've had some friends that live in Florida and they do that at a last minute vacation...they call the cruise line in the morning and have scored a room on a couple of occasions...I've booked cruises from Minnesota on a Friday and sailed on Saturday or Sunday....If I lived near a cruise port, I would do it all the time....and yes, the price was almost nothing...they want those rooms with people in them....people spend money.....Happy cruising...

Bob E
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks, we do live in Florida right in the middle just a couple hours from most ports. We will love to try and see if we could get a room last minute. Wonder if we should call carnival or our TA?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MemaSue:
Does anyone know if you can go to cruise terminal day of sailing and be able to buy tickets if room is available..if so are they cheaper? Just wondering if it would be worth the chance. We are retired and would enjoy a last minute cruise if we so desired. Thanks for your answers.
I am not 100% certain, but I don't think they do that anymore as far as just showing up. It has to do with Homeland Security Laws. I am not sure of the time frame required now.

Dwayne
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Maybe I should just call Carnival and ask..because they still do stanby airline tickets. I was hoing that with a passport it would cut through some of the red tape. I appreciate your input. It will help me ask the correct questions when I speak to them.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Can't hurt to call and find out. I'd just call into their personal vacation planner pool and ask if you can book on the day of a cruise at a cheaper rate directly through them or if you can just "appear" at the port and purchase tickets there. If they say yes, check the CCL website to find out which days cruises leave from which ports. Be packed and ready to go and either call the PVP or go to the port depending on what they tell you.

MemaSue, if you do this, PLEASE report back to us on what the answer is. This question has come up before with no firm knwoledge of if this can still be done with the new Homeland Security laws. I have seen the "last minute cruise deal" websites, but if they have them to book on their site I can't imagine that they can be all that "last minute". If they say you can do this, maybe ask the PVP to call or email you when they have a lightly loaded cruise coming up. If they know you can and would cruise short notice, they can make your work easier....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your reply, I am going to call them and will let you know when I get a response.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 PM

I called Carnival and was told..you can't buy tickets at the port on day of cruise. You can buy if available 24 hours in advance. The tickets aren't cheaper by waiting so late. So I guess we might as well book early if we can. We just thought we could w atch the weather and if available we could cruise most anytime

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 AM

You would think that they would at least cut off another few dollars & not let the cabin go empty. We're located in Fl also & could take advantage of any larger discounts...to bad.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 AM

I can understand the 24 hours in advance thing. Probably a customs clearance/ Homeland Security thing. But they should be able to give you a good deal. Try the other cruise lines- RCCL (which is also celebrity) and NCL
See what they say. Although, it seems that if you just watch RCCL's "Hot Deals" (which they will gladly email to you weekly if you sign up on their website) you can get really good deals leaving from Florida on off-peak cruises. Espically if you are retired and can travel any time you want. Sometimes I see those cruises going for almost half of a normal fare.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
arnival, carnival, cheaper, cruise, cruises, cruising, day, feb, florida, minute, offer, stand, standby, ticket, tickets