Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Do past guests really get cheaper fares? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/16257-do-past-guests-really-get-cheaper-fares.html)

tompands 09-04-2007 07:06 AM

I just booked my 3rd cruise with Carnival and I really don't see where the fares are getting cheaper. Our last cruise, during the Past Guest Cocktail Party, the Activities Director stated that the more you cruise , the lower the fares go. I get Military discounts and past guest discounts but it seems like theres no discount at all. I've gone in and priced cruises as a first time cruiser and there's like a $10 difference. Do you old salts go thru Carnival or a travel agent. Carnival agents say nobody can be lower than them but some peple say they still go thru travel agents-I'm confused. All you 20 and 30 some cruise people-tell me how to do it-Thanks

Tom

Jim C. 09-04-2007 07:16 AM

Tom-

If you are comparing a past cruiser Military discount price versus a new cruiser military discount price, then I agree you will not see much difference. The mitlitary discount trumps anything a past cruiser normally gets. (My PVP always asks if I will be getting the military discount after my mother cruised with us and she got the whole cabin my father's discount.)

But for a non senior citizen/ non military fare, yes I get better deals being a past cruiser. Most would be from the advanced notice we get for fare sales (a P.C. normally gets a day early notice and booking for fare sales.) These allow you to get a cabin that may be sold out before the sale goes to the public. The biggest thing is to be able to go "whenever" and be able to take advantage of the off peak cruise dates as where thats where the best deals can be found.

LHP 09-04-2007 07:45 AM

I think one other thing that is affecting the cost of all cruises (and the amount Carnival discounts them) is the fact that costs are rising.

Sadly the cost of doing business is not going down (especially in the fuel department) and I believe we will see a reflection of those additional costs in a smaller discount.

Just MHO!!

CruiseDad 09-04-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tompands:
I just booked my 3rd cruise with Carnival and I really don't see where the fares are getting cheaper. Our last cruise, during the Past Guest Cocktail Party, the Activities Director stated that the more you cruise , the lower the fares go. I get Military discounts and past guest discounts but it seems like theres no discount at all. I've gone in and priced cruises as a first time cruiser and there's like a $10 difference. Do you old salts go thru Carnival or a travel agent. Carnival agents say nobody can be lower than them but some peple say they still go thru travel agents-I'm confused. All you 20 and 30 some cruise people-tell me how to do it-Thanks

Tom
Tom, I just booked my first cruise under the military discount and it was a good bargin compared to regular fare as posted on the Carnival site. Past cruises were as Past Guest Rate and I think we got upgrades vs discount. We paid for Cat 8A and were in a 8C Cabin.
I was only in a short time but have an honorable discharge, sent in my DD214 will hear in a few days if it is acceptable.
CruiseDad

SuzyCruise 09-04-2007 10:39 AM

tompands -- you have a private message. Go to the personal zone and read it.

1Sgt 09-04-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tompands:
I just booked my 3rd cruise with Carnival and I really don't see where the fares are getting cheaper. Our last cruise, during the Past Guest Cocktail Party, the Activities Director stated that the more you cruise , the lower the fares go. I get Military discounts and past guest discounts but it seems like theres no discount at all. I've gone in and priced cruises as a first time cruiser and there's like a $10 difference. Do you old salts go thru Carnival or a travel agent. Carnival agents say nobody can be lower than them but some peple say they still go thru travel agents-I'm confused. All you 20 and 30 some cruise people-tell me how to do it-Thanks

Tom
I have the military discount and my PVP told me the same...only a Carnival employee discount trumps the military discount.

What is VERY interesting to me is the second cruise I booked with Carnival is twice as long, yet only 800.00 more for 4 people. This means to me there is more value with taking longer cruises.

tompands 09-11-2007 09:15 AM

Thanks for the reply TOP,
I'm just trying to understand this discount for military/past guests because it hardly seems worth the effort of asking for it and faxing 214's etc. From what I can see, I recieved about a $10.00 discount off my 5 day cruise. I went back and checked online as a new customer and thats what I came up with-a $10.00 difference. The way I'm looking at it is, if their offering a military discount,ok,where is it. Past guest also get discounts-and from what I get from my PVP-one person can't get both. SO, which one is the greater discount? And that greater one only adds up to $10.00? Don't get me wrong-I'm not a cheap person, by no means, but if their going to offer me something,I'd like to see it. I'm calling my PVP. Thanks

1Sgt 09-12-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tompands:
Thanks for the reply TOP,
I'm just trying to understand this discount for military/past guests because it hardly seems worth the effort of asking for it and faxing 214's etc. From what I can see, I recieved about a $10.00 discount off my 5 day cruise. I went back and checked online as a new customer and thats what I came up with-a $10.00 difference. The way I'm looking at it is, if their offering a military discount,ok,where is it. Past guest also get discounts-and from what I get from my PVP-one person can't get both. SO, which one is the greater discount? And that greater one only adds up to $10.00? Don't get me wrong-I'm not a cheap person, by no means, but if their going to offer me something,I'd like to see it. I'm calling my PVP. Thanks
welcome Tompands. I had the same fears/concerns when we booked this second cruise and had my PVP do the math for me. It was considerably more if my military discount was not applied. I think you will find the difference much greater at suite/balcony rates. You can book the entire suite, pay alot less on 2 and subsequent passengers and considerable discount on 1st passenger (you). I tried to get the suite for my Nov Liberty cruise but they were booked up. Instead we got two oceanview rooms and I actually feel better about that with teens onboard.

CruiseDad 09-12-2007 05:58 AM

Quote:
I have the military discount and my PVP told me the same...only a Carnival employee discount trumps the military discount.


Response:
I went on a Carnival Employee discount from my daughter once. It was a good discount but I could not choose a cabin or even category. It was what they had available. Turned out a cat 4a on deck 1. I loved the cruise and the price was great but never again, I want my balcony and will pay for it. As far as the Military Discount, once you have sent your DD214 in, it will be on file and you will be eligiable after that for the discount without extra hassel. It was not bad once I found my DD214, just faxed it in with a copy of photo passport and I was done.

SuzyCruise 09-12-2007 12:25 PM

tompands -- Judging by the continuing discussion, I'm under the impression that you never read the private message I sent to you. It contains info that is not for civilians to read. There is a travel club that caters only to military personnel, retired and active. After they issue you an ID number, when you log-on, it will show you the regular price and your discount price. It is true that the balcony cabins give you a greater discount - about 25%. Good luck.

Also, you never know if your PVP with Carnival is anti-military, therefore they may not be honest with you. They get a commission on sales. So discounts are not in their favor.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2