Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:15 AM

My wife and I are going on a southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny on April 2, 2006. Any tips on what to do Barbados and Dominica? This will be our 3rd cruise and we can't wait!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:15 AM

My wife and I are going on a southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny on April 2, 2006. Any tips on what to do Barbados and Dominica? This will be our 3rd cruise and we can't wait!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 PM

We just got back from this cruise on 3/5/06. Hope you got a good deal on it. We were very dissapointed with it. We sailed last year on the Miracle and what a difference. This ship has lots of people on it from Puerto Rico as they give them a much better deal. The ship itself is older and has deffinate plumbing issues. The first day the gym flooded via one of the hottubs and smelled moldy the rest of the cruise. Second day our toilet ( and others ) wouldn't flush right for several hours. Third day no hot water for showers ( when I called they said the whole ship was out they were working on it ) The fifth day the plumbers came in to work on the shower drain and flooded our room, we ended up switching rooms but it was a big hassle. Many other problems with this old ship. As for the ports of Dominica and Barbados, Dominica we went to the Trafalgar Falls/ Sulfer springs. Take a different one if you can. The falls are super crowded and the sulfer springs are like two four foot puddles.Barbados we did our own thing by taking a taxi to the beach. Be warned, bring cash. It costs $20 per cab ride ( you can try to split it with up to four people ). When you get there they will want to rent you chairs and umbrella $15, snorkel gear $35 jetskis etc. Also keep an eye on your stuff, several people got ripped off and the beaches are crawling with panhandlers and people selling all kinds of junk. Unfortunately this was not the best cruise we've been on. Good Luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 AM

Just found this... I too sailed on Destiny a while ago. todd b is correct; the majority of the ship was 'locals'. They paid as little as $79 per person for their trip. Insulting to those of us who paid so much more. I've heard that's a common complaint on the ship - too many locals. And I'm not talking about polite locals. Kids running in halls, people pushing and shoving in lines, being rude, and so on.

We also had a luggage problem. Our luggage was opened between the airport and ship and several items taken. Disposable cameras, etc. We did not receive our luggage until approximately 1am. Seriously. The only reason we even got it then was because I'd had enough, made too many calls looking for it, and started searching the decks. I found it on another deck, with other lost suitcases, just waiting...

We had a suite; it was wonderful. Our cabin steward went 'missing' a few times, but overall the room was nice and fairly well maintained.

In Barbados we paid a local cab driver a TOTAL of $40 for the 4 of us. For this we got a few hours at a beach - no charge for chairs, etc. He had 'connections'. Then he came back to pick us up right on time, and gave us a driving tour of the entire island. Even a little church full of history. Through small villages. Lots of stops for photos. He was magnificent, and we saw more of the island than those that paid quite a bit more for an 'organized' tour.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 AM

I think somebody is feeding you a line. $79?????? Everyone has to pay the port fees and government taxes, and that alone is over $79.
The Destiny came out of drydock Oct 2005.
My best friend just sailed with a group of 31 people on the Destiny Feb 26th. No One had any complaints about the ship, food, entertainment, or service.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a dolphin experience on any of the islands that the "Destiny" cruises to. This is my first cruise, and I would ove to be able to swim with the dolphins.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM

I'd bet the $79 was base, not including the extra charges. However, we did speak to several polite locals who reinforced their costs. They said they hop on whenever there's room - cheaper than staying home and buying food for a week!

We had a great time anyway. Heck, if I could book for even close to what they paid I'd be back on the ship!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 AM

this is my frist time cruise i will be leaving on the april 2 from san jaun im looking ot hang out and have fun im going by my self im 21/m any1 intreasted of being a buddie for wk let me know ok
Old 03-29-2006, 04:50 PM

hey i will be going on destiny as well i will be going byb myself though r u bording from san jaun

Closed Thread