Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Hey, everybody! I saw one crew member's message and I decided to join myself. I, too, am a crew member and have been working for Carnival for 4 years. I am a karaoke host and I have worked on the Ecstasy, Imagination, Fantasy, Elation and just recently the Victory. I have visited this site many times and I have read my share of people's questions and I realize that I could answer many of them. I have been lucky enough to be able to venture off the ship and explore the ports of call. So, not only could I answer questions about ship life onboard (i.e. fun activities including bingo, trivias, scavenger hunts, broadway shows, comedians, deck parties) but I can give some insight into certain excursions as well. Especially to you golfers out there. I have played many courses in the Caribbean. So, whether you're a first time cruiser or a veteran, I'd be more than happy to not only answer your questions the best I can, but to share in some of my adventures as well. Did I mention I met my wife on my first contract? I have many a story!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 PM

Bobby, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

We have a number of karaoke fans on here.
LHP and Mr. October to name a few. I am sure they will have questions.

IslandCruz
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Bobby, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

We have a number of karaoke fans on here.
LHP and Mr. October to name a few. I am sure they will have questions.

IslandCruz
Thanks for the welcoming! I'm looking forward to hearing from them and anyone else!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Me??? Addicted to karaoke??? Surely you jest!!

Welcome to our humble group of folks addicted to many things....karaoke and cruising to name a couple!!

I have to admit that karaoke is the reason I cruise.
It is so wonderful to have a safe, usually smokefree place to do what I love.

We are headed out on the Victory on September 29th. Marci is currently the Karaoke Host on the Victory and has been receiving wonderful reviews. Sadly, she will be leaving September 29th, when we arrive. I have no clue who will be replacing her.

On the Fantasy, in December, they were having a problem lining up a karaoke host. The Social Hosts filled in, a friend of mine Noonan (who was the Asst CD) did it one night, Kim (BigTex's wife) filled in one night. It was interesting. They did a good job.

I have to tell this funny story. I know you will appreciate it. In December, I discovered that the key control was not operational. This was a source of concern for me, because I am very pitch dependent. The song has to be in a certain key before I can sing it.

Obviously this is not a feature that is used much and they had no idea it was broken. I told Noonan that I was coming back in March and would he please see that this was fixed!

So, they went out and bought 4 units they called "karaoke units". Noonan emailed me that the new unit was in place, no worries. Well, what they bought was 4 DVD units. And (as you know) DVD units do not have key control. Apparently they thought just because there was a key control button on the OLD REMOTE...that it would work on the new unit.

Ok, you can stop laughing hysterically now.

So when I arrived in March, still no key control. Thankfully, I finally got off my fanny and bought the Power Burner software, Karaoke Tool software and a new CDG burner and added all that to my computer to make my custom disks. I am a ripping, altering, burning maniac!!

this meant I had my custom CDGS with me in March, so no problems! I also found a Voco Pro in the Piano Bar that was only being used to play music and the pitch control on it worked. So I suggested to Noonan that he swap out one of the DVD players for the Voco Pro...so they will have key control in the future.

We are headed back to the Fantasy in August, so I am going to see if they swapped it out.

I have met some wonderful karaoke hosts. Terrence Kuiper is someone we sailed with 5 times. First he worked in the gift shop, then he was a karaoke host for 2 cruises, then a social host and then an Asst CD. He has since "retired" from Carnival and is living in Canada (at least that is the last email I got from him)

Emie on the Spirit was a lot of fun.
Max on the Sensation was a natural!
Adam on the Miracle was a hoot. He and I did the Island in the Stream duet. Although he is the one who conned me into the Legends Show. He was determined that I was going to be Aretha. He told me the key could be changed...and as you know that is a big fat fib. Of course I did not discover this until rehearsal the night before the show. We still had a blast. I have a very low voice for a lady, so I gave them the very first 'James Brown" rendition of Aretha!

As you can see, several have made a great impression on me and really made my cruise the best it could be.

Personally, I think the karaoke host is the most important person on the ship.

I hope we get to sail and sing together one day!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Boston Bobby:

Thanks for taking your time to answer our questions. I apreciate it as I am sure everyone else does too.

Unfortunately, I have never played golf I guess I grew up poor and never had the opporitunity. But I was wondering, I suppose if you are really into golf, you will have a favorite set of golf clubs. Is a passenger allowed to bring his/her set of golf clubs from home, along with them on the cruise?

Also, do you know of any good places to eat in near the port in San Juan, PR? How about Cozumel? I never ate anything in port on my past cruises, since I thought I could eat everthing for free onboard, right? (maybe a little extra in the Supper CLubs). But, I am willing to change that and give the local cuisine a try.

Also, I heard that crewmembers phone home allot. Do they use lots of long distance calling cards? If so, is there a favorite brand of card they use, or will any do?

Like I said, thank you for your time and giving us an opporitunity to ask a crew member questions. I suppose we rarely get to do this.

Good luck and happy sailings
Old 07-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Boston Bobby:

Also, if you know of any other good places to eat in other ports of call (other than San Juan or Cozumel), feel free to mention them, too.

By the way, I used to do Karaoke a few years back. My favorite A-List of songs I used to sing allot were:
- Take My Breath Away by Rex Smith (not Berlin)
- What A Fool Believes by The Doobie Bros.
- One In A Million You by Phil Graham
- Let's Stay Together by Al Green
I too, remember having a problem with the key control operation. It was with the song "What A Fool Believes". The Karaoke host(ess) would always think it was above my vocal range so they selected the lowest key. It would make it impossible to sing the falsetto parts like the lyrics "She had a place in his life". Also, the lowest key seemed to slow the tempo down a little too. SO the song was ruined for me .

Anyways, thank you for your time with this post. Take care and happy sailings
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Machetes and chainsaws are okay but golf clubs, are you kidding? They bring out the worst in people.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

Machetes and chainsaws, but no wine. Picture, if you will, GC whining).
Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Machetes and chainsaws are okay but golf clubs, are you kidding? They bring out the worst in people.
I guess it might be a problem bringing golf clubs onboard a cruise ship. I am sure that scene in the Sopranos involving Mustang Sally didn't help.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 AM

I still crack up when I see Noonan doing the "spin travel" on the Carnival channel.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, crew, cruise, host, karaoke, ship, stories, work