Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Splendor fire (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/17038-carnival-splendor-fire.html)

gdjoslin 11-09-2010 08:11 AM

Story here.
Man this could ruin a vacation!! We were close to booking this cruise I am glad we did not. What does Carnival do when something like this happens? A few days in Ensenada, Mexico is not a good vacation.
By what do they do I am talking about your flights ect. If you stay a week in San Diego waiting for a booked flight you will find out how cheap a cruise is verse a land vacation.

LHP 11-09-2010 08:25 AM

According to the news...

Carnival is giving a full refund...refunding travel costs as well AND giving folks a free cruise (up to the value of this cruise)....

they will bus them from Ensenada (just like they do when the Spirit docks there for the Hawaii runs)

gdjoslin 11-09-2010 09:05 AM

It must be a logistics nightmare. Doing everything spur of the minute.
While the cruises are getting refunds and a replacement cruise, I feel for them.

macmom111 11-09-2010 09:28 AM

I think carnival has done a great job trying to make the best of a bad situation. they are paying for transportion home, refund for the cruise and and a free future cruise.
It is a difficult situation but I think Carnival is doing the best it can, I just hope that there are not people throwing a fit about it. that would make it hard on everyone.

penny3333 11-09-2010 09:40 AM

Macmom111, you know there are going to be those on board that will be whining, conspiring for a mutiny, getting ready to spread it all over the internet, spilling their guts to anyone who will listen, and making sure everyone knows it was Carnival's fault (even though it's not).

I really feel for the crew!!!

gdjoslin 11-09-2010 10:27 AM

We have done that cruise 4 times. Always on the Pride. The loudest night is always the first. The quietest day is always the 1st sea day. My wife is hoping that the cruises on our last cruise (next to our cabin) were on board. I think they partied all night long. Would be fitting for that group to have a long bus ride while hung over.

Please do not take me wrong. I am not against Carnival here. However It is ruining a vacation for many. Carnival is going above and beyond, but something can not be fixed.
Seems like that cruise has a lot of west coast cruiser, so they should be able to get home without too much of a problem.
People from a further distance or going to have a vacation ruined and spend a lot of time in airports. It is not good for anyone.

CruiseDad 11-09-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by penny3333:
Macmom111, you know there are going to be those on board that will be whining, conspiring for a mutiny, getting ready to spread it all over the internet, spilling their guts to anyone who will listen, and making sure everyone knows it was Carnival's fault (even though it's not).

I really feel for the crew!!!
Absolutely, I thought about the crew. More specifically the cast, The social hosts, the dancers the singers, the CD and the Entertainment Manager. It will fall to them to try and entertain 3300 people with Bingo, ad hoc shows and what ever they can think of. My daughter says that when the ship gets off the normal routine they work double hard to keep people at least doing something. I'm glad she is not on this ship

Has any one heard a cause for the fire yet? It is a fairly new ship.

Dave 11-09-2010 01:54 PM

Is Carnival cursed on the west coast? They have crashed into other ships and piers over on that side of Mexico with regularity, a Captain had to be replaced after suffering a heart attack, and now this.

gdjoslin 11-09-2010 02:03 PM

The crew will lose out on their tips also.
It is a bad deal for the crew, cruisers, and Carnival.

With all that is going on in Mexico right now I hope they had armed guards with the buses.

Dave 11-09-2010 03:44 PM

Yeah, nobody wins with this scenario - except perhaps the lawyers who will be scurrying around to file lawsuits.

The passengers certainly have a right to be angry and disappointed. I just hope we don't get a lot of venting posts here.

I would like to have some objective comments from passengers though.