Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM

I thought you can lock your luggage at the airport using TSA locks only. That they have a master key for all and were not suppose to
cut the locks off anymore.

I just bought some for my cruise in May with
the understanding they were approved for airlines use.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Where do you buy the TSA approved locks?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:29 AM

Okee dokee..well the consensus here seems to be that you may lock your luggage (recommended by Carnival) but you should use only TSA locks or you run the risk of having them cut-off.

My follow-up question is this: I'll be driving to the Port of Miami and won't be subject to any security inspection until I arrive at the terminal. If Carnival only scans luggage then why would they [Carnival] care whether you used TSA approved locks in the first place??

One more thing...Is the TSA responsible for luggage check or is a private company hired by Carnival or Carnival itself?

I'm still a little confused..
Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 AM

You can buy TSA locks at Brookstones and travel shops.

However, even if it's a TSA lock they sometimes cut them, because the master key does not work on it, or they forget to put th lock back on the luggage. I've gotten tired of replacing the TSA lock so I lock my luggage before boarding the ship and on return take the lock off before entering the airport.

Replacing the locks get expensive. You can also save the receipt as proof and file a claim with TSA for the missing lock, but the burden of proof is on you.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Target carrys the TSA approved keys in thier luggage department. Can purchase a set of 2 for about $6.00.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TarponMan:
That's all good information so far. I always keep my valuables in my carry-on so really only clothes and maybe a few soda bottles filled with my favorite libations will be in my suitcase.

Would it be safe to say that if an image of plastic coke bottles appeared on the scanner screen then that bag would get opened?

I said maybe on the bottles..
Any answers to this question? I'm planning on bringing a pack of bottled water on my cruise, and I want to know if it's ok to put it my checked luggage or if I should put it in my carry-on.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

Kerri, Airport security will confiscate ANYTHING in your carry-on that's over 3 ounces. That includes deodorant, toothpaste, perfume, water, etc. That's the rule. (Airline personnel are certainly getting a nice assortment of fine perfumes that are being ditched). LOL. You can purchase water once you go through security at the airport. I don't know if you can buy a "package" of bottled water after security. Probably just singles is my guess. Can you buy your water after you land and before you board the ship? That would work out better.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM

Whoops! I should have specified that I'm DRIVING to the port! Sorry! Anyway, just wondering if the water will make my "checked" (at the ship) luggage too heavy. Know what I mean?

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Kerri, no, you should be okay. Our Airline allowed 50 pounds per each piece of luggage last month going on Pride. Three of our eight bags were over. When we got to Long Beach the men moving the bags couldn't lift up 3 of our bags. Pretty embarrassing, but they didn't say a word. Just make sure that you bury the water deep inside your luggage. They shouldn't give you a problem with water. I do have to say, the water on the ship is sea water that's been purified through the ship's system. I enjoy drinking it.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Kerri, I might also add, at our home we have a drilled artisian well for our drinking water. The ship's water ranks right up there with our well water. Good luck and have fun.

Closed Thread

Tags
baggage, bottled, bring, carnival, check, cruise, lock, locks, luggage, requirements, review, rules, ship, triumph, tsa, valor, water