Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 AM

is it better to let them take it off my sail and sign or do tip myself or both?

Palace All Inclusive Resorts
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 AM

i second that question

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 AM

It is all a matter of your personal preference. Personally, I go with the automatic tips added to my bill..so every crew member down in the laundry, etc.. gets their share. We only come in direct contact with a few crew members..there are many doing jobs elsewhere that do need the tips. Then, if any particular crew (waiter/steward/etc) is exceptional, I will give a tip directly to them in person..either before, during, or after the cruise depending on the situation.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM

ok thats what im gonna do then im going to do automatic then tip seperate if i see fit! thanks trey see you soon

Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 AM

Triumph, ONE day till your cruise!!!

I hope you have a great time and enjoy everything. I will be eager to hear all about your trip when you return.

Happy Cruising!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Oh you know i will be telling you guys about every little thing when i get home well actually when i get to the office the following mon. i never have time to be online at home , with the kids and the man and the mess they leave. But when im at work sometimes it get slow here at the office.that and they all go to lunch with out me like they did today whatever im going on a cruise and they suck!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I've never had a problem with the auto-tipping on Carnival. Service seems just as good. But I do hand out separate "extra" cash tips to those who went above and beyond.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM

We pay the auto tips, also after the first day if the room steward is doing good we kick him 20 or so and it seems to assure a little special attention.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM

I left the general and steward tips on this time and gave the steward extra for the extra service with ice and a free big blue towel.

I did remove the dining room tip as we never went to our dining room or even met the waiter or assistant. We went to the formal dinner night with our friends at a different dining room and time. So I sent an envelope with tips for them. They were super to let us sit with our friends, and gave excellent service.

I never liked the auto tips concept, but I am adjusting to it. And I think is a good thing in some ways.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

I am one of those horrible people who campaigned for the automatic tips to be put on the Sail and Sign cards ( I know, where is that wet noodle!!) But I had a very good reason...
(actually a couple of good reasons) but the main one was that to many hardworking cabin stewards and wait staff were getting stiffed.
And it really wasn't always deliberate. You just get a bunch of young 20 somethings that drank up all their money before the tips came around.

All you had to do was look around at the number of empty tables on the last formal night. Now not all of those were folks ducking their wait staff...but it happened a lot more than it should.

Another reason was so that I did not have to carry so much cash with me and get it in the envelopes and hand it out....it was just to much work for someone who is suppose to be on vacation.

So now, I just give out the "bonus" on an 'as earned' basis. Like when I send my clothes to the free wash and fold 3 times in a week! I just love that Platinum perk!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
attention, automatic, carnival, crew, cruise, dining, formal, magic, remove, removing, special, tip, tipping, triumph, yahoo