Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Actually there is much to be said about being able to see the horizon - which means a higher deck. Part of motion sickness is that the person has no sense of balance. Sort of the same thing that afflicts those with inner ear infections. Being able to have the horizon as a reference point can help.

Although it is true the keel of the ship is still moving around, it's motion relative to the highest deck is less. You also have the friction of the water against the hull to ****** motion.

I know for a fact that during my Navy years, when in rough seas, we looked forward to going back on watch in the engine room because it was below the waterline and the ride was much more stable than what we had to deal with in the berthing area. In the same sea conditions - with blue water crashing over the bridge and 40 degree rolls - I had to strap myself into my rack in berthing, but could walk around with a cup of coffee in the engine room.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello C.F.; physics aside, from personal experience I would have to disagree with you. My wife and I never use the elevators on ships and we have a favorite cabin on Island and Coral Princess that is up high and all the way forward. When going from, say, the dining room on deck 5 to the cabin on deck 11 in rough weather, you can feel the motion increase with each successive deck; which is another way of repeating what Sandy already said.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:36 PM

after 6 cruises and the 7th coming up...give me a lower deck and my patches. never had a problem. take a clear glass fill it with water. tip it side to side and see where the motion is. lower is better.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

I believe this was also the reason the classic ocean liners had their dining rooms set low in the ship.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Ginger is supposed to work well for queasiness. You can buy ginger tablets in any store that sells vitamins, but getting candied ginger is even better.

Dave has a good point about looking at the horizon. That is supposed to coordinate what you're feeling in your inner ear with what you're seeing, which is supposed to make you feel better.

I hear eating a green apple works well, too.

As for choosing a cabin, don't forget that most of the day you'll be out of your cabin. And at night, gentle rocking may help you fall asleep!

Sandy
Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM

I recommended the eating green apples to two of my friends and it worked for them.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM

My daughter went on a cruise in Dec. our family Christmas cruise and was sick the entire time. I belive it was more from all the "PREVENTIVE" meds she took. Even the ginger or apples just made her turn greener. We were happy to make land and have fun in the Bahammas.good luck with whatever you try. But don't try them all at once like she did..Silly girl.

Aruba Reviews
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 AM

The lower passenger decks in the middle to middle aft seem to have less movement to me. It really will depend on sea conditions on how the ship moves.

A half of a Bonine (meclizine hydrochloride) the night before sea days and the other half in the morning seems to help without too much drowsiness.

Dwayne
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 AM
ok I can prove my point but will have to link to other site and that's against the rules, but if you want to just send me a PM.

check this info:

"How Can I Avoid Seasickness?

Staying busy and keeping your mind occupied are the best ways to avoid seasickness. Try to stay on deck in the fresh air and focus on anything other than the moving ship. Take deep breaths and drink plenty of water. When on deck, facing forward (rather than to the side) seems to help most people. Remember that you need to let your brain adjust to this new unstable environment by allowing the horizon to act as the true point of reference.

Although drinking plenty of water is important, you also need to keep something in your stomach (although spicy or fatty food is not recommended). Lying down in a deck chair in the fresh air often helps many people; it's almost like you can sleep it off! Most modern cruise ships are equipped with stabilizers that eliminate much of the motion that causes seasickness. This is one time when bigger might be better-the larger the ship, the less it will rock! If you know you are prone to seasickness, try to get a cabin on the outside (with a window) and mid-ship where there is less motion"

Also I don't want to start a fight about this so like I said before I give up...
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 AM

Hi I have had 2 occassions when I have needed an injection whilst on a ship.
I tend to take Sea Legs with me now and generally take on before we set sail and if the sea gets choppy. They dont make me drowsy but I know we are all different.
Dramamine (I think its called) is also a good chewy tablet which has an instant effect. Hapy cruising. Cruse qween

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, cruise, dcl, deck, location, monarch, patch, prevention, scopamine, sea, seas, seasick, seasickness, ships, sick