Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Ken, you had some empty quote blocks on the end of that last note. I deleted them - hence the editing message.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:

For me, I am a serious lounge chair lizard, passing through the karaoke bars on my way to watching sunsets and sunrises. I breathe deep of the salt air and quirky island aromas. I am up with the sun and after a good breakfast linger long on the fantail seating area and watch people, servers, children, the wake of the ship the dolphins breaching along side. Engage in conversation with willing participants and pray that the morning never breaks into afternoon where other pleasure await. To slow down the day and turn the clock back and absorb more of life in the moment so I donít think redundant questions from newbies will ever tire me. My only worry is that I might think I have all the answers! Good thing there are so many other wiser and more experienced posters!
You too? I am a devoted early riser. I like to get up and watch the sun rise while sipping a cup of coffee or tea. The sense of well-being this provides me is immeasurable. It is perhaps my favorite part of the cruise.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Sorry about the goofey looking quote lines, I had to go anwser phone calls and brine a turkey so I think I lost my time limit to edit the page. Sorry
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Dave, You are the man! I knew you could fix it!

Are you going to watch football or snooze?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Brining a turkey......it was a revelation to me when I learned of it. Best bird ever. Good ol' Alton Brown.

Football of course!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:51 PM

hey ken
what did you yhink of the celebration?? a little rocky on the way home huh???
fascination-5/07
miracle-10/07
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Chef Ken and Dave,
you guys crack me up! You follow two of the most beautifully poetic posts I've seen here with talk of brining turkey and football.
Chef ken, that line . . ."and pray that the morning never breaks into afternoon where other pleasure(s) await." Man, that's pure poetry!
Dave, that first cup of coffee and croissant on my balcony with my wife of 41 years, as the sun is breaking the horizon, that's my favorite part of the day.
Boy, if we aren't a sentimental bunch. Ain't it great!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 PM

Last year I took about $700 and had some cash left.My rule of Thumb is $100 a day or port. For larger purchases use your credit card, especially if there is a currrency exchange.
Take a big stack of One's if you do a lot of room service and if want the staff to go above and beyond. I start to tip everyone I come in contact with on the first day/evening.
From the Cabint attendant, Room Service Servers, even favorite bartender ect. you may have to cough out 30 to 40 bucks on the firts day, but the next morning, you'll be surprise the attitudes of the staff. you'll feel like a Jet Setyou'll never have to ask for anything
hope this helps
IceOnWater
Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, and probably step on some toes, but--
I would rather not try to coax good service by tipping right away; I would rather get good service because it's the right thing to do, and then reward it appropriately. I've tried tipping up-front and what I've received is a lot of obsequious, insincere behavior--all designed to get--more tips.
Don't get me wrong; I tip well; probably over-tip because I was in the entertainment business and know how important it is to those who serve us.
But I like to see people who really enjoy their work--whatever it may be, and reward them accordingly.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
From the Cabint attendant, Room Service Servers, even favorite bartender ect. you may have to cough out 30 to 40 bucks on the firts day, but the next morning, you'll be surprise the attitudes of the staff. you'll feel like a Jet Setyou'll never have to ask for anything
hope this helps
IceOnWater
Although I agree with f-mattox I feel more inclined to Use cash as a kind of insurance.
As stated above by IceonWater I too look at tip's as " To Insure Promise of Service

I have seen it work both ways actually. tip em good and they expect more. But (BUT) (Behold the Underlying Truth}...I feel the service is much better from the begining with a nice TIP....maybe just space it out a bit. but the first one should be atleast a Linclon.
just my measley rambelings

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, caribbean, carnival, cash, cruise, day, dream, fantasy, nickel, norwegian, penny, person, slots, spend, spirit