Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi,
Has anyone from the UK booked a cruise via the USA? We are planning our first cruise for Next year and wondered if it was possible to book direct through Carnival, instead of through a UK Travel Agent? Also our friends from Wa are joining us on our cruise, and I wondered if it was possible or if they were allowed to book us from there. I don't want to approach them about it until we know its possible. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we asked them.
Has anyone else done this?

Also, when would the best time to book our cruise for November 2008??
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Banned

The fellow in the below listed website is Welsh and cruises a lot. He is a really nice guy and I am sure he would not mind answering your question....since none of us seem to be able to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=551272
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Hi yes I booked a cruise with Royal Carrib, on the net using an American Travel Agent,in Jan, I have just booked with carnival miami over the phone, because the carnival web site does not allow you to use a U K credit card, I then booked my flights separately, my credit card company gives good exchange rates, so the savings against U K travel agents were very good. The second part of your question I have never done but sounds O K Kalo Taxidi
Quote:
Originally posted by MoJ0Max7:
Hi,
Has anyone from the UK booked a cruise via the USA? We are planning our first cruise for Next year and wondered if it was possible to book direct through Carnival, instead of through a UK Travel Agent? Also our friends from Wa are joining us on our cruise, and I wondered if it was possible or if they were allowed to book us from there. I don't want to approach them about it until we know its possible. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we asked them.
Has anyone else done this?

Also, when would the best time to book our cruise for November 2008??
Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Hi Thank you for your replies.

Steve, were you able to choose your cabin number? When they say a cabin is guaranteed next to a cabin number, does that mean your guaranteed that cabin, or just a stateroom cabin on that deck you choose? If you know which stateroom you want can you book it?
Also when you booked direct with Carnival did they want the full payment or a deposit? I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Hey MoJOMax7,

Carnival and RCI don't have restrictions on UK or any other international passengers, some lines do. One thing you'll wnat to check is your friends in WA. Have them call to see if there are any regional rates you can take advantage of. Also, if you or they have sailed before check past pax rates. If any of the specialty rates apply to some in your party you can go further to maximize the savings. For booking purposes, lets say there is a regional rate. Book husbands into one cabin to get the rate and wives into the other. That way you have a resident of the state booked into each cabin and the rate applies to both parties in that cabin. When you get on the ship, use the cabins any way you want, there are no bed police to see where you're sleeping.

This can be done with senior rate, regional promos, past pax, and most other promos. It doesn't work with military rates unless they have the friends and family promo going which allows multiple cabins to be booked.

There is one downside to this. Your key card (which has your CC account in the mag strip) is then to the wrong room. Trading key cards doesn't work because when you order a Mango Tango on deck, you're putting it on the other persons account. If the savings is worth the hassle it can be worked out, its just a pain.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-18-2007, 04:42 PM
In November we booked a last minute cruise on the Elation. Our son who lives in London has dual citizenship and his girlfriend has British citizenship were both going with us. We booked directly through Carnival. Our son had no problem making his reservations. His credit card is through the UK. They said that they would have to send his documents to us only because there was not enough time to send them to the UK. As it turned out we did not get them in time either but we did our precheckin on line and that was all we needed to do. They compensated for us not receiving our documents in time with a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and free photos for both rooms. Try booking directly with Carnival over the phone and not on line. I do not think you will have any problems. I have heard Princess is very strict on this though. I know booking in Europe is more expensive than in the US. You are going to love cruising!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM

Hi yes we booked a cat 11 on the port side because you seem to get the sun on that side, the problem I had with there web site was payment, one of the last thing after putting in england as country of residence it will not accept a uk zip or phone numbers, so I phoned them, 5 mins it was done,I payed by c/card for the added protection, I did not take the Insurance because we have a year long travel policy, also if you check insurance cover in the uk it seems to be alot less, for the both of us 12 months world wide cover is £100 or $200 for any number of trips, you can pay the deposit,or in full, I payed in full because of the exchange rate of nearly $2 to £1 I you can surf the american agents for these free add on and gifts etc but for me life is a bit short,I then completed the online form and printed our boarding card, we are doing the same as we did in Jan we stay a week before in miami with friends he has a 37ft boat so we mess around on that I have to go to sawgrass mall with my wife for one day, then a cruise then another wk in miami, last jan I hired a soft top mustang for 3rd week, got carried away and got a $232 citation for speeding, the 4 cops were good fun after they reholstered. Kalo Taxidi
Quote:
Originally posted by MoJ0Max7:
Hi Thank you for your replies.

Steve, were you able to choose your cabin number? When they say a cabin is guaranteed next to a cabin number, does that mean your guaranteed that cabin, or just a stateroom cabin on that deck you choose? If you know which stateroom you want can you book it?
Also when you booked direct with Carnival did they want the full payment or a deposit? I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 12:11 AM

Sorry I forgot to add Credit and Debit cards in the U S A and Carrib Islands, they do not have chip and pin numbers in use, it is all down to signatures,even though we did not let our cards out of our sight, wI had mine copied, and on mothers day, I was in Wales having Lunch which I payed for with my c/card whilst later someone in florida got $6500, in various transactions,luckily my bank saw I was in the uk and because of the unusual transactions contacted me to check then blocked the payment,I have online banking so,when I am away I take my laptop, I list our payment daily, then check, also my bank txts me updates 3 times a wk, and it is a good idear to carry Card Insurance. what area do you live in the U K. kalo taxidi
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 AM

Thanks all for your replies.

TRVLPRO, thats a very interesting reply. Our friends in WA have been on a couple of cruises, but have mainly waited until the last minute to book, and have had a couple of good deals. We don't want to leave it until the last minute as we want to make sure we have evertything in place as we want to spend 3-4 days in Miami pre cruise, and 4-5 day somewhere else, but we're still undecided. We did think of Barbados, or some other Caribbean Island, but it would have to have a safe and busy town? We're still enquiring as the where.
STEVE, What area in Miami is best to stay, and where to avoid?
You were lucky you were contacted about your cc. We had our cc stopped while in Toronto a few years back as we were spending a lot on it, which the cc company picked up on. It was embarrising at the time, but luckily we had another card to use while we sorted it out.

We live in North East England on Newcastle's coast line.
Do you like Greece? I just noticed your signature "Kalo Taxidi" (Have a safe journey)
We spend a lot of time in Cyprus. Have you been there?

Sandee, We can't wait until next year. Its a long way off, but its fun finding out what we need to do. We want to be as prepared as we can.

Ive learut so much already, but I'm sure there will be .more
Old 05-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Hi I am from L/pool but I have lived in Bolton for 10yrs, Kalo taxidi comes from cruising with Greeks I am lucky that when I stay in Miami it is with Greek friends down Kendal Drive in an area that has a lot of Greek and Island people,and has a good feel to it, I was told not to go to Liberty City but being a scouser I found it interesting! be advised that Miami is in the top 5 poorest cities in America, with all the problems social depravation brings, so as a geordie keep your witts about you,if it looks dodgy it is dodgy, but after lots of visits I am still in one piece even though I am a scouser and you know what that intails. Kalo Taxidi

Closed Thread

Tags
book, booking, cards, carnival, credit, cruise, england, family, friends, passenger, past, rates, sailed, time, uk, usa