Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM

Hmmmm, learn something new here every day. I thought QM2 was the only ship with propulsion pods rather than screws. When did the mainstream lines start doing this?

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Not sure of the date but Carnival has had them for quite a while.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacationbound:
I am currently planning my second cruise. I am leaning towards the 5 day Eastern Caribbean on the Destiny on 2/23/2009. I want a balcony room and I am thinking about booking room 6336. It has an extended balcony. I am still new to this whole cruising thing so how to you go about booking a "good room"? What defines a good room? I still don't understand all the cruising terms. Thanks for your help.

I usually look at the deck plans one floor up and down to make sure I am not under or directly above anything that creates noise: near the bow where the shows are, near the galley, over or under a lively bar like the piano bar, or too near the children's areas. Also you may want to watch for stairwells, elevators, etc.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Dave, yes I think the Destiny has traditional screws, while the Triumph and Victory have the azipods.

Neil, I am pretty sure the Carnival Elation was the first passenger ship to use the azipods in 1998.

Dwayne
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I can give you the link to the site where I found the info on their propulsion systems, they have the history of carnival problem is another site maybe I can post this part:

"With Destiny, Carnival began offering an abundance of the now uber-popular balcony cabins in a big way, with sister ships Carnival Triumph (1999) and Carnival Victory (2000) soon to follow. These 2,642 passenger vessels (3,360 total if the upper berths are full) feature three-deck show lounges, 15,000-square-foot spas, four swimming pools with water slides, and plenty of on board shopping. All balcony cabins on Carnival ships built since 1996 have with mini refrigerators, toiletries, hair dryers and bathrobes.

In November 2002, as an improvement to the Destiny-class, Carnival launched Carnival Conquest, the first of five 110,000-ton Conquest-class ships similar in design to the Destiny class, but slightly bigger and able to carry 2974 voyagers. Carnival Glory followed in July 2003, Carnival Valor (the first ship with bow-to-stern wireless Internet access) in December 2004 and Carnival Liberty in July 2005. The last scheduled sister, Carnival Freedom, will enter service in spring 2007.

Somewhere in the seemingly never-ending quest for size (other cruise lines also jumped on the bandwagon to make bigger & bigger ships starting in 1998) Carnival did something different, and very right, by introducing an additional and relatively smaller class of vessel known as the Spirit-class. These 88,500-ton ships carry 2,124 passengers each, and are the longest in the fleet at 963 feet, yet narrow enough to fit through the Panama Canal. These sisters (Spirit, Legend, Pride and Liberty) have a very inviting space-per-passenger ratio, and the technologically advanced Azipod propulsion system. "

If there is any trouble with this please just delete this post...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Just don't make the mistake that a lot of new cruisers make. Never book a lower category room with the expectation of an upgrade. No matter what others have led you to believe, category (note I didn't mention cabin) upgrades, are about as rare as honest politicians.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
"Good room" (cabin) is purely subjective.... I'm willing to bet that most people are like me and only use their balcony for entering or leaving a port, or for an hour here and there over the course of the cruise.
Personally, I would never again settle for a room without a balcony.

On the Caribbean Princess the signs told us that if you leave the balcony door open the ac shuts off. We figured that was a small price to pay for sleeping with the door open and smelling the fresh sea air.

Every night before bed I would stand on the balcony for a bit and enjoy the peace. Even during the night when I got up I would have to sneak a few moments outside. In the morning while my husband showered I would wait outside.
You get the picture. When travelling with others you always seem to spend a great deal of time just waiting. In hotels it always drives me crazy wasting time. On my lovely private balcony these moments are always a special treat.

When you arrive back on ship exhausted from a busy day, it is wonderful to have a peaceful meal on the verandah. No dressing up, no rushing to meet dining room schedule. Bliss!

To me a balcony is our own little piece of heaven. But as you say, it is subjective. When I was young and travelling alone I would not waste a minute in my room. I flew out to be where all action was. The cheapest cabin was best.

Everyone says that a balcony is essential on an Alaskan cruise. I really hate the cold and am thinking that i might just book a room with unobstucted ocean view. You can hear the commentary over the television. What do you people think?

Closed Thread

Tags
6336, aft, cabin, carnival, cruise, destiny, freedom, good, liberty, pick, room, rooms, seas, senior, valor