Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I am currently planning my second cruise. I am leaning towards the 5 day Eastern Caribbean on the Destiny on 2/23/2009. I want a balcony room and I am thinking about booking room 6336. It has an extended balcony. I am still new to this whole cruising thing so how to you go about booking a "good room"? What defines a good room? I still don't understand all the cruising terms. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

"Good room" (cabin) is purely subjective. To some the cheapest cabin they can find is "good". My definition of a good cabin is one facing stern with a balcony, because they have the best views and least amount of wind. A larger balcony can be nice but you have to ask yourself if you'll really be using it much. I'm willing to bet that most people are like me and only use their balcony for entering or leaving a port, or for an hour here and there over the course of the cruise. But then again there are those cabins within the same category which have a larger balcony and a bit more cabin space - such as 6336 on the Destiny. Just note that this cabin also has a drawback because it is wrapped around a stairway. Noise might be an issue every so often, although probably not enough to be a deal breaker.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Well I had been on a Carnival Destiny balcony room (cabin 6321), last summer (cabin 8201) and this summer I will be again on a balcony cabin on the same ship...I don't like interior cabin

As for the cabin you just point out, cabin 6336, I don't recomend it, as I remember that's on the back of the ship
the engine the noise is a little to loud for my taste, Also Carnival Destiny sometimes can get SHACKY and very difficult during those days at sea so you will like a cabin in the middle of the ship not in the back...
Ok the balcony is bigger but with all the problems it have it will not be a good deal, you will be better if you can book a cabin in the middle of the ship and the higher you can the better like I do on my trips with carnival Destiny but that's just my opinion...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM

As a rule of thumb i would suggest port side, middle of the ship away from elevators and stairs. Also look out how close the stateroom is to LIDO (music) or galley (Food prep)
A good cruise TA should have all the brochures and can point to the pro's and con's.

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM

The cabin mentioned, 6336 does have a longer balcony length wise (along the ship's side). Another oddity about this cabin is that it has a Queen bed, instead of the typical twin/king.

I like the middle of ship personally, less motion, and quicker to get to places.

Dwayne
Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

I have the cabin right next door booked(6344) for my so carib, on 4/20. It has a king bed,and my PVP said it's a very nice room. He has never steered me wrong yet. I think the extra space will make up for any complaints I might have as far as being too far from things or noise from engines. Being that high up I don't believe the engines could be that noisey. The only thing that might be a concern is motion....I don't know what it's like on the back,always had a middle room. I guess we'll find out in 80 days!!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Like I said is a "personal thing" with the engine noise.
In my case it was to loud for me and remember I had travel on this ship, Carnival Destiny, before (During summer 2006 and summer 2007)
I am telling this because this is my perception,maybe you will not know it's there...

As for the motion sickness that depends,
In my last trip we were on caribbean waters most of the time and I hardly felt the motion but as soon as she touch the atlantic ocean that's other story, she's get shacky during those days...

PD: just a note if you want a balcony with a view of the island port
Book a cabin on the other side, the side were cabin 6321 and 8201 are,
this side of the ship, most of the time face toward the island when you are on port, so if you want to enjoy views of the islands this is your kind of cabin...
if you like a sea view, even on days at port, just book the other side of the ship, the side for the cabin you already have 6336..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Doesn't the Destiny have traditional screws while later ships of the same class have azipod propulsion? That can make a difference on perceived noise in aft cabins.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I had an extended balcony cabin on the Legend. It was a wheelchair accessible room ( didn't know that when I booked). I really liked the extra room on the balcony.

As far as location I like to be on or close to the Lido deck.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Doesn't the Destiny have traditional screws while later ships of the same class have azipod propulsion? That can make a difference on perceived noise in aft cabins.
Well for what I have read on the net
that's exactly the truth Carnival Destiny does not have azipod propulsion, I even believe that her sister's ships Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory have the same propulsion but I am not really sure about the last...

I think the spirit class ships (2001) were the first class to use azipod propulsion.

Closed Thread

Tags
6336, aft, cabin, carnival, cruise, destiny, freedom, good, liberty, pick, room, rooms, seas, senior, valor