Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM

I have been invited to dine with the captain on several occasions. I did it once and didn't necessarily find it nearly as enjoyable as sitting with my regular assigned tablemates. One of my favorite aspects of cruising it getting to know the people at your table and sharing a little of your life for a few days. That being said, I understand the anniversary request. I arranged a table for two on a recent trip by going straight to the maitre'd or the person in charge upon embarking. Do this before the goofy lifevest muster station talk and be prepared to have a little "gratuity" in the palm of your hand to make it worth his/her effort.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrealovescruising:
Ken, If "cappy" is a hit, how do you think they react to "skipper"?
I guess we are back to Ginger and MaryAnn. Many of these captains are Greek, Italian, and Scandinavian. I have a feeling they might not appreciate the title, skipper.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

I have tremendous amounts of respect for the Captain's of these vessels. I am always amazed when we are pulling into a port very early in the morning, and the Captain and his crew are maneuvering the ship into the pier. It is so intriguing to watch the entire process unfold. I'm captivated by it. The Captain can probably do it blindfolded with his experience.

A'ndrea
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I know one Captain that I would have been aghast at having dinner with....it was on our first cruise. He had no demeanor worth mentioning. The crew trembled at his presence. I walked up behind him at the burger line one day and cordially said "Good Afternoon Captain!". He icily looked at me and muttered a "good afternoon". Eating dinner with this guy would have been like eating with a Gestapo officer. I still remember his order to the grill cook..."one hamburger, well done, do you understand me?...steward...." The poor cook was shaking. Later on in the cruise I found out the replacement Captain was aboard and getting turnover. When I asked some crew about the new guy, they were almost ready to cry with glee. They knew the replacement and loved him. I eventually met the new Captain and he was 180 out from the then current Captain. The new guy was gregarious, loved to chat up the guests, etc.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

I'm sure the personality and likeability factor of a Captain sets the entire tone for the crew.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrealovescruising:
I have tremendous amounts of respect for the Captain's of these vessels. I am always amazed when we are pulling into a port very early in the morning, and the Captain and his crew are maneuvering the ship into the pier. It is so intriguing to watch the entire process unfold. I'm captivated by it. The Captain can probably do it blindfolded with his experience.

A'ndrea
Actually most ports send their own pilot onboard to bring the ship into port. The captain is not allowed to do that.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I never saw the captain on the Triumph. He was a "no show" at the cocktail party.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Larry, I did not know that. Learn something new every day. Thanks for enlightening me.

A'ndrea
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM

I thought the pilot stands on the bridge giving directions. I can't imagine a captain actually handing over controls to someone who doesn't know the nuances of each ship.

Maybe Dave could bring some light to this.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I'm with Ken...I''ve never had an invitation to the Captain's table and I really don't care if I ever get one. To me it would be one of those awkward events where you can't wait for it to be over. I'd prefer to be left alone, although I am not sure what I'll do if I ever do get invited. I'd hate to be rude.
I had a hint of this. Everything Ken says is Dave this and Dave that, and what do you think Dave?

I would say go together and hold your heads up and be proud you are together. I would not suggest skipping while you both enter though.

Closed Thread

Tags
captain, captains, captians, carnival, cruise, destiny, dinner, elation, imagination, night, pam, paradise, petcash, sit, triumph