Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM

I am taking my first cruise in August on Carnival Inspiration and am trying to gather information so I can be well prepared ahead of time and focus on enjoying my trip. I have several questions but at the moment I have one very important question that while may seem silly really needs an answer. I am noticing on the excursions there are some that include a trip to the beach, food and beverages. Does this mean that if I want to get off the ship just to lay on the beach I have to pay a fee? Or do they allow access to the beach and swimming for free?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM

It's normally the cost of transporting you from the pier to/from one of the nicer beaches that are not always close by that you'd be paying for. Along with paying the operator for providing the lunch you mentioned. Sometimes the best beach spots are at one of the resort locations and they charge for using their section that has chairs and umbrellas and such.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM

BTW, welcome to Cruise-Chat, the sun, sand and swimming are free.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 AM

Hello kristylynn, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Just like TrvlPro said, it is going to depend on what is included with the excursion etc. In some ports one does not need a paid excursion, just grab a taxi to where you want to go.

I want to encourage you to visit our other sections as well. Try the Caribbean Port Chat section for starters.

We have a wealth of information here, and the most friendly and knowlegeable members of any cruise forum.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:

Just like TrvlPro said, it is going to depend on what is included with the excursion etc. In some ports one does not need a paid excursion, just grab a taxi to where you want to go.

I want to encourage you to visit our other sections as well. Try the Caribbean Port Chat section for starters.

We have a wealth of information here, and the most friendly and knowlegeable members of any cruise forum.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Good examples are St Marrten where a beautiful beach is just a short water cab, or a little walk away. The beach is free, you may want to rent a chair and umbrella. And then there is the excursion to Magens Bay in St Thomas, where even if you walked all the way (it is very far) there is still a fee to enter the beach. I enjoyed Magans Bay and it was beautiful but I would not do it again. We did a beach tour on Tortola with lunch. The beach was a bust but the lunch was worth the price all by itself.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Enjoy your self. We went on our first cruise last june. we were also on the inspiration. Anything I can help you with just let me know
I have my pics on webshots. It was a great time for us. The ship was a blast.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Since this is her first cruise i would not encourage to venture out on your own, but take a ships excursion instead. A little more money maybe, but it beats waving to your fellow passengers from the pier - LOL.

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Since this is her first cruise i would not encourage to venture out on your own, but take a ships excursion instead. A little more money maybe, but it beats waving to your fellow passengers from the pier - LOL.
I agree with this completely. After you've been to a port a few times and know the lay of the land it's a better choice than someone unfamilliar with the port, where they are, how to get back, etc.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 AM

I totally agree too. And have said the same many times. At the same time there are (some) ports that even first timers don't really need an excursion. Cozumel is an example in my opinion. I am not encouraging it by any means.

Dwayne
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

hi, okay well thats a very good question..I went on a cruise to Cabo and Ensanada and when we got off the ship, there were little ferry boats to take you to and from the shore. Those ones are free as they are working for the ship...but if you take a "water taxi" then they will make you pay, those do not work for the ship. Laying on the beach is free, its just if you want to do anything else..hope this helps!

Closed Thread