Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 AM

I'm going in August for a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas on the cruise liner Sensation. We will be stoping at Freeport & Nassau. Since I have no idea what to expect or what happens on these ships. I'm looking for a little input on anything like what to expect on the ship & even what is fun to do & what isnt. What Shore Excursions are fun & which are a waste of money. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks For Your Help

Dream Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 AM

I'm going in August for a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas on the cruise liner Sensation. We will be stoping at Freeport & Nassau. Since I have no idea what to expect or what happens on these ships. I'm looking for a little input on anything like what to expect on the ship & even what is fun to do & what isnt. What Shore Excursions are fun & which are a waste of money. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks For Your Help

Dream Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 05-24-2006, 06:28 AM

Where to begin on what's fun, ummmmmm, everything. Depending on what you like, shipboard activities range from bingo to pool games. You can eat 24/7, the food and presentations are amazing. The crew and staff work hard to make sure everything is a positive experience. I haven't been to Freeport in years, but the Kings Inn (if it is still there) had a great beach. In Nassau, do Paradise Island (which is across the bridge) and the Queen's staircase is neat. Relax and enjoy your time, it will fly by. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 AM

WE WENT TO FREEPORT AND NASSAU A YEAR AGO CHECK OUT THE STINGRAY ENCOUNTER, DISCOVER ATLANTIS, THE BEACHES OF COURSE, WE DID THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT TOUR IT WAS FUN MY WIFE WAS THE FIRST ONE TO SEE A SHARK THROUGH THE BOAT IT WAS GOOD SIZE THE LOOK ON HER FACE WAS GREAT YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF FUN BE CAREFUL WITH THE LOCAL PEOPLE IN FREEPORT THEY TRY TO SEEL YOU EVERYTHING
Old 05-24-2006, 08:08 AM

My advice- Don't get off the ship in Freeport. They charge you for a Taxi ride to the other end of the island where they dump you off in their shopping area. That's about it. Unless they have added some tours since (this was a very long time ago, but I have heard it has not changed)

Nassau is great, if you can get on a stingray encounter tour, those are fun.

On the "short" cruises, its more about the cruise than the ports, but Nassau is a good port. Have fun while on the ship.. don't try to do everything they offer (they try to put a seven day cruise worth of activities into the 4 days) Pick things you really want to do and the other stuff is a "if you can go you go".

Have fun
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Stay on the boat in Freeport, I do this cruise every year in october for my birthday by myself. Freeport $8.00 cab fair to get to the town. Harrased by drug dealers and hair braiders.
I stay on the boat after my first visit there. The day on the boat is more rewarding, most new cruiser's are getting off for the day, so you have plenty of uncrowded time to hang by the pool or get to know your way around the ship.

I usually am on the Fantasy for this cruise but this year they switched ships for this route.

Im hoping the Ship isnt too messed up from the Katrina Victims.

In Nassau I take a napsac with a towel and some water. wearing my swim suit.

get a taxi for $8.00 to atlantis.

the boat ride they have there to atlantis is $10.00 round trip however you have to wait till it's just about a little more than shoulder to shoulder jam packed and smokin hot with people before they take off.
then it's a slow ride with some guy telling you about the people and culture of the bahamas then they pass around a hat for donations for the dude.
the boat drops you off at Paradise Island then it's like a mile walk to Atlantis.
I learned this on my first visit there. ( a hot sweaty walk)
Take a cab. they drop you off at the door of atlantis then you look over to the water and see the packed , nearly capsizing boat making it's way around the bend in the canal..lol it will be anothr 45 min before those people get to where your at.

people have fun doing different thing's
I pack my own snorkel and mask.
I have my own excursion on the beach next to atlantis. (for free). snorkel till I feel like gambeling then dry off and head for atlantis a few 100 yards away.

This has just been my own 2 cents on my trips to The Bahamas.
Ya learn something new everytime.

Fantasy: October 2003
Fantasy: Feb 2004
Fantasy: October 2004
Soverigen of the Seas: May 2005
Fantasy: October 2005

Scheduled Sensation October 2006
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 AM

AGREE with Mr. October.
Or you can take a cab to the beach by the Atlantis and sunbathe and have some drinks in a coconut from the locals.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Yes the beach is right next door. on the trail to the beach you will be asked if you would like to buy some smoke.
And they do not mean cigarettes....Do not buy the smoke even if you do smoke.

I saw a passenger get busted after buying from these guy's and it looked as if the police gave the guy (seller) back the smoke. and took the cruise passenger away.
Dont know what ever became of the passenger but Im sure his Cruise time wasnt a good memory.

Just say NO ..lol

My 2 Cents

Fantasy: October 2003
Fantasy: Feb 2004
Fantasy: October 2004
Soverigen of the Seas: May 2005
Fantasy: October 2005

Scheduled Sensation October 2006
Old 05-27-2006, 12:25 PM

and if you are doing an overnight in Nassau and you are wanting somewhere to go out and about in the evening then Senor Frogs is always popular, followed by Bambu (my favourite place having spent 6 months working on the Fantasy), highly recommend it.

Enjoy your first cruise :

Closed Thread

Tags
bahama, bahamas, bring, carnival, cruise, cruises, day, expect, freeport, im, june, review, reviews, sensation, ship, thing