Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 AM

Will be on Glory from May 7 to 14.

I have a few questions that have been asked before but I might as well ask again. Do you get sea sick? I know everyone is different but what should I expect for this being my first cruise? We are staying in the cabin with no windows, how are those rooms? Do all beds come together to make a king? Does not having a window begin to bother you a few days in to the trip?

I hear from some people that it is better not to book excursions through Carnival because of the money and people doing them...so in that case do you look for things to do when you get off the boat? Will people be waiting off the boat to take you to excursions with less people and less money? Are there Jeeps to rent when you get off the boat? I guess what I am trying to say..is there people waiting near the boat when you get off to take you on excursions, or rent cars, that do not work for Carnival?

I hear that Glory has ping-pong tables..I love playing ping-pong. Does Carnival have a ping-pong tournament? If they don't, can you talk to the workers about having a tournament?

Any information for a first time cruiser will help..I appreciate anything you can tell me...thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 AM

Will be on Glory from May 7 to 14.

I have a few questions that have been asked before but I might as well ask again. Do you get sea sick? I know everyone is different but what should I expect for this being my first cruise? We are staying in the cabin with no windows, how are those rooms? Do all beds come together to make a king? Does not having a window begin to bother you a few days in to the trip?

I hear from some people that it is better not to book excursions through Carnival because of the money and people doing them...so in that case do you look for things to do when you get off the boat? Will people be waiting off the boat to take you to excursions with less people and less money? Are there Jeeps to rent when you get off the boat? I guess what I am trying to say..is there people waiting near the boat when you get off to take you on excursions, or rent cars, that do not work for Carnival?

I hear that Glory has ping-pong tables..I love playing ping-pong. Does Carnival have a ping-pong tournament? If they don't, can you talk to the workers about having a tournament?

Any information for a first time cruiser will help..I appreciate anything you can tell me...thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 PM

I have seen it posted here before and tend to agree that you might Should book excursions through the ship on your first cruise just so you have the assurance of them being able to know where you are, when to get back etc. They are more crowded and a little more expensive but our last two cruises we had our kids and decided to book through ship and we still enjoyed it and had a great time. My advice if you book through the ship is to pick the longest ones (longer than 2 hours) and the ones that include drinks and meals.

I did see ping pong tables on The Glory but I can't remember if there was a tournament.

We have never really gotten sea sick on a cruise. A few times you might feel a little dizzy or like you have a buzz if there are rough seas but my husband and kids took Bonine (over the counter at any drug store) and that worked great. I got a Rx for patches to go behind the ears but no one had to use them.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 PM

I would agree with "swimmersonboard" that, especially for your first cruise, you book shore excursions through the cruise line. If you are not familiar with the ports, the excursion will be a safe way to explore, and even if you are, then if something happens that delays your return to the ship, they will wait for you. If you are on your own, or with an excursion not booked through the ship, they won't wait for you if you get back late.

I don't remember a ping-pong tournament either, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. You can certainly ask - check with the cruise director's staff after you are onboard.

Whether you will enjoy an inside cabin is really a matter of preference. For your first cruise, they're a nice inexpensive way to be introduced to cruising. There will be a TV in your cabin and one channel will show occasional pictures taken from the bridge, so you'll be able to check out the weather. Inside cabins have the advantage of being nice & dark at all times, making those afternoon naps, or sleeping in, a bit easier. (Bring a small nightlight, though - you can plug it in the bathroom or the main part of the cabin so you aren't stumbling around in the dark if/when you get up at night! ) Most cabins have beds that can be made either as twins or as doubles/queens. You can request ahead of time which configuration you want the beds to be, but if you don't get to do that, you can ask your cabin steward to change it. If you don't see him or her before dinnertime that first night, leave a note in a conspicuous place (like on the middle of a bed) requesting what you want.

Best advice: relax and have fun!! Don't sweat the small stuff, as there are usually some small glitches. Have a fantastic cruise!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks to the both of you for your excellent posts. I have an open mind to everything and know I will enjoy this cruise to the fullest. I just wanted to ask a few questions to have a better understanding of a few things. Another question is, how many channels does the TV get? I know you are rarely in your room but still thought I would ask the question. I am used to falling asleep to the TV being on.

Thanks again and I appreciate all your help. Anything else you would like to add for a first time cruiser would be appreciated.

Oh one more question. Are there irons on the ship. That question is coming from my fiance. I would guess that you have to ask the cabin steward for an iron or maybe they even do it for you because of the chance of fire.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, competition, cruise, cruises, expect, freedom, glory, kind, ping, pong, seasick, table, tennis, tournament, tournaments