Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I have to say NO to taking the little ones on a cruise unless Grandma and Grandpa are going with:-)....I've seen too many parents with very you children NOT having a good time...with tempers even flairing up....after 7 days with tight quarters and lots of people, mom and dad are not in the happiest mood. Take the kids when they can enjoy the cruise too....Leave the kids this time with the grandparents and go have a smashing good time.

Bob E
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator

I'm going to approach this from the other side, as one who's done this. Not that the above reasons aren't valid... a lot still depends on the itinerary, ship, parents and kids.

Our son's first cruise was at 11 months, and his second at 20 months. We were fortunate in that both cruises left from nearby ports (no long flying or driving days), and were not port-intensive (we went to Bermuda). That worked out very well as we didn't have to be concerned about car seats in Bermuda, as the places we went were all walkable and stroller-friendly. We made sure to request a table for just our family so that others would not have to put up with the eating habits of a 1-year-old. We sat in the back of the show lounge during shows to make a quick escape, if needed.

The ship is actually the easy part. Sure... you'll still have to take care of the kids 24/7 (unless you opt for the late night babysitting in Camp Carnival), yet many of your daily chores will be taken care of for you. No cooking, no major cleaning, no deciding where to spend a day. My husband and I took turns with our son to give the other a break. Come to think of it, we still do 16 years later.

On the down side, kids who are not toilet trained are not allowed in the pools... health reasons. I don't recall Carnival Victory having a splash area for kids, but I could be wrong as I wasn't looking for it.

Also, the itinerary, as Cas mentioned, may be tough. My main concern was the safety of traveling in local vehicles. Even if you lugged two carseats along, there might not be seat belts to secure them. Plus, port after port can be tiring even for adults.

So, for all of those reasons, I wouldn't rule out taking a cruise with kids who are nearly two years old, although I'd look at other options for ship and itinerary. Cruising with young kids can definitely be a vacation, it just takes some initial legwork to determine the one(s) that are right for your family.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Well, my wife and I have decided we are not going to take the boys with us. This last Thursday was the first night they stayed away from home, minus their initial stay in the hospital, and it went great. We'll probably be able to go by ourselves in April. With twin boys we need to get away from the everyday stresses that go along with that. We just need to figure out the logistics for the week we are gone and who's going to be watching them when. Schedule for them is huge so the grandparents and aunts and uncles need to understand that.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
A second honeymoon coming up:-) and who knows what will happen.....You will love the time away and the grandparents get to really spoil the little ones....Peace and Joy for your cruise and have a wonderful time.....

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
3rd, 4th, children, cruise, lines, passenger, rate, rates, reduced, seasick, whiche, young