Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM

So my wife and I would love to go on the Victory in April and in fact I almost booked it the other day. We have a bit of an issue, if you will. We have twin 13 month boys and not alot of options for leaving them with family. The issue we are having is it's going to take an army of people to do what we do on a daily basis to take care of the boys. By the time this cruise comes up the boys will be 21 months. Would Carnival charge us full price for each boy to cruise with us? I'm curious because giving their age I wouldn't agree with that and it may end up being the nail in the coffin for this cruise.....

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 PM

They will be charged the 3rd and 4th passenger rate which can vary by sail date and by cabin category. It can be as much as half off the 1st and 2nd passenger price. The Victory has some 3rd and 4th passenger promotions but you have to compare with other promotions to see which is best. Gratuities will be the same for everyone regardless of age.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
The issue we are having is it's going to take an army of people to do what we do on a daily basis to take care of the boys.
They have babysitting from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am. I think the charge is $6 per hour for the first child and $4 for the second.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

Personally, I would wait until they are 2 years old and can use Camp Carnival.

Carnival is VERY strict on that age....23 months and 3 weeks won't even do it. They must be 24 months or older.

Every 3rd and 4th person in a cabin pays a reduced rate (regardless of age). But it is my understanding (unless something has changed) that Carnival does not charge tips for passengers under the age of two. So that is $20 a day that you would not be paying....

At this age, the only time you would not have the children with you is if you decide to take advantage of their babysitting service (which is IN Camp Carnival, not your cabin) from 10PM - 3AM.

Since you describe the efforts needed for the twins on a daily basis as being so tremendous...I personally do not think you would get your money's worth at this time.

I would wait until they are at least two years old and then you can enjoy some alone time....
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM

LHP,

We may end up doing that instead. The boys will be two on July 9th so we could wait a few more months and go then. Maybe then they won't be so hard to watch and it'll be easier for people to help us out so they won't have to go with us at all. We are still not ruling out going on this cruise in April, but I have my doubts.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM
I would leave the boys home.. Momma and daddy need a break.. Taking young children on a cruise can be a real job..My opinon,enless they are 7 and older leave them home.. They wont remember anything..Relax on vacation, If you have family that will take them, take advantage of that..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM

I agree on waiting until they are 2. I see so many parents with very young children on cruises and wonder how they manage it. If you can't send them to camp carnival for some "down time" for yourselves then it won't be much of a vacation.

Timc makes a good point but I know its not always practical to leave young ones with family for a long period of time. We did it with our nearly 2 year old and my wife was a wreck the whole cruise worrying about her. So even if possible it is still not a good solution. I say wait until they are 2 and then go and enjoy yourselves the best you can.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Took our daughter on her first cruise at the age of 5 & she loved every minute of it. Camp Carnival was so wonderful for her that she never wanted to leave it. Now she will be 10 in Sept and a VIP Plantium guest on our next cruise in Nov.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Dear TRM7050,

We have travelled extensively with our boys (now in teens). However, we did not take them on cruises with us until they were 5 years old. At that point, they could tell us if there was any untoward treatment, abuse (never was) by caregivers. You really never know. I would not leave little children in kids clubs until at least 5. Our boys are accustomed to child caregivers as they grew up with nannies. You also want to enjoy yourselves and as much as I adore my kids and want to be with them and I AM SURE you do too, you really cannot relax with them at your feet. They get tired at 13 months and at 2 years old too and you really do not know how they will fare on the ship. Will they get sea sick. We went on our first cruise and left our oldest son at home at the age of 10 months with his gramma and his live in nanny. We had a blast.o
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM
well what I am going to tell you is my opinion as a father.

In order to understand my opinion I can tell you this I live in Puerto Rico and I already took this cruise 3 times already and I took the same route you will have on april on the carnival victory during this past summer.

NO DON'T TAKE YOUR KIDS WITH YOU,

this an active cruise 7 islands on 7 days they will not enjoy a cruise like this one

Why??
well here are a few reasons:

1. As I remember kids at that age don't tell you how they feel if they are sea sick they will keep suffering and you will not know what's going one and remember that if you use their medical service at the ship the price $$$ is really high. Besides the caribbean weather is not something your kids will enjoy if they get bitten by a mosquito or something kids can get really sick and really fast at that age.

2. If they don't have sea legs, even a lot of adults don't have them, they will get sea sick on the third day of your cruise when you will be on route to Barbados and on the 4th day. I tell you this, on my last cruise on carnival victory I saw a little kid around 2 years old on the same situation even the waiter told me
"I have been on this route a few months now and I can't understand why they bring kids at that little age they are just going to suffer in this trip with this sea"

3. Think about the people on the cabin next door
,I got kids don't get me wrong, but I don't take them on a cruise until they are ready to enjoy it, also a baby crying during nights is something only a father understand but if the people on the next cabin want to sleep they don't have to, they will just call Guest relations and the system will do the work.

my advice leave them with some responsable adult at home if you can and go to the cruise but use the time to enjoy it with your wife...

Closed Thread

Tags
3rd, 4th, children, cruise, lines, passenger, rate, rates, reduced, seasick, whiche, young