Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Wow! Joan, thanks so much. Loved all the information and appreciate the incentive to get busy figuring out what we should do at each island. The cave-tubing in Belize looks like alot of fun. I was glad to hear about Roatan too. We are looking at Carnival's excursion to Coral Cay Park in Roatan...have you heard of that? My husband and I are more into relaxing excursions at the beach and your description of West Bay Beach sounded wonderful to us. We only have from 11am to 6pm, so not much time to waste. Carnival offers some beach excursions, but we still aren't sure what we want to do. Your experience at Roatan is exactly what we are looking for, preferrably at every port! Can you tell me if there have been any problems with others getting back to the ship on time when booking through other tour companies, or even taking a cab some place, or renting a vehicle for the day? I worry about that.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Sherry

Caribbean Travel Photos
Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Sherry,

This will be our 5th cruise in April, and we have booked all of our shore excursions through private companies....except the very first cruise, we booked them all thru Carnival. And from that first cruise experience, we found that for the money we spent, and the large groups of people that you are packed in with....we now like to find them on our own and have never been dissapointed!! I understand your worrying about getting back to the ship on time, just plan very well and give yourself additional time. In Roatan last year, we waited 45 minutes past the time we were supposed to leave the port for a family of 4 who came running up the dock 45 minutes after the ship was supposed to be gone. I don't believe that this family of 4 was on a Carnival Excursion, and they held the ship just because they were on a Carnival excursion. The ship knows who is on the ship and who is off the ship because each passenger has an ID card that they swipe when getting off and getting back on. We have always planned on getting back on the ship 45 min.- an hour before it is due to sail.
As far as renting a vehicle for the day...have never done that, can't help you there.
In Grand Cayman, our private catamaran pulled up beside one of the tours that was from Carnival, and the people were packed on those boats like sardines....our private catamaran only held 30 people, and we all had room to lay down and catch some sun rays on our way out to the sandbar to see the stingrays., plus we also did 2 additional stops to snorkel on our way back. I have actually done this same excursion thru Island Marketing on the buccaneer stingray excursion 2 times, 2 years in a row!
Our cab ride to West Bay Beach was with another couple that was also looking for a cab to the same beach. The cab driver was amazing...he made many stops along the way to show us his beautiful island. We did not feel unsafe at any point. Our cab driver had us back to the ship by 4:00, and the ship left @ 6:00.
If you want to be safe, and ease your mind since this is your first cruise(?).....go with the carnival excursions, then next time you cruise book on your own, then you will have the comparison of both ways.
I will tell you that the only place were we felt a little unsafe was a private tour in Jamaica (Ocho-Rios)., that was I am sure due to the excursion we chose however. But, since that cruise I pick my itineraries to avoid Jamaica, there was nothing about Jamaica that I would care to go back and see.

Also, I wanted to tell you that Island Marketing is very reputable...did you have a chance to check out their website? They offer excursions in many ports. They also will credit you if by some chance your ship does not port on that specific day. We didn't make it to Costa maya last year, and had an excursion booked thru them...I emailed them when we got home, and they had already credited my CC. They are aware when a cruise ship does not make it into port.
Hope all of this mumbo-jumbo helps
Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM

I sailed the Valor in May 2006. The ship is large and very nice. The Supper Club had the best food. Our room was very nice...we had a balcony room on the 9th Floor (Lido Deck). You'll really enjoy this ship.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 PM

I am interested in the Island Marketing website, if you do not mind. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks again Joan for the great information. I would love the information for the Island Marketing company...phone number...website anything.

Thanks again.

Sherry

Caribbean Travel Photos
Old 03-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Here is the Island Marketing website;

http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com

Go to this site, and you can access any of the other ports that the Valor is going to.
What is also very cool, is that they offer a live chat person to be able to answer any of your questions right away. We have not been dissapointed with their services, we use them often!! We are allready booked for our April 22nd excursions....I would book soon if you are using them, they accept smaller groups to make your excursions more enjoyable, so they book fairly quickly.
Let me know if for some reason this site doesn't work for you.

Joan
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM

POSTING ON JULY 2 -- JUST BACK ON THE VALOR. All shore excursions through Shoretrips.com, which saved money and were very good. Got a longer cave tubing ride in Belize with a great guide, plus lunch. The cruise's excursion is shorter because they have to "launch" their tubes at a bigger beach due to so many people. Booked the canopy tour in Roatan through Roatan Tourist Bureau. Lori and Mario [lorimar@globalnet.hn] can arrange anything that you want. They are dependable and honest. They took us on the canopy tour, Gumbalimba and to the beach --- There were 14 and we spent less than if only 8 had gone (which is what we had originally planned.)

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cayman, excursions, island, lorimar, mario, marketing, valor