Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 02:49 PM

I just came back from a wonderful cruise to Alaska on Carnival Spirit. They were offering a vacation package for the Carnival Vacation Club. I had my husband check it out at home and he came to this site, I just want to say thank you, because it saved me from being scammed. I called my credit card company and the charges had been reversed. It's run by a company called Ice Gallery. I advise you to cruise Carnival and have a great time, but check out very throughly the vacation club before you decide to buy into it. Again, because of this website I was very lucky.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 PM

Welcome to cruise chat and thank goodness you didn't buy into the club!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

We were on the Spirit the first week of July last year and got a "Readers Digest Condensed Version" ( we are very "just get to the bottom line" folks). It wasn't for us.

ICE is a very well trained organization who has made their living selling and managing time share units. So don't feel bad that you were "taken in". You were up against pros!!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

Btw, there is some guy on another board that swears this is the best thing since slided bread. He claims that he spent $5,000.00 on a Silver package and saved $7,000.00???

However, a little investigation has found that he blows everything way out of proportion. He boasted that he was getting a "resort" stay in Florida that was worth over $2,000.00 for $299.00. Well, I looked up that same "resort" and for 4 day was $199.00. Now the "retail" value can be whatever you want to say it is.

He also said he was paying $900.00 a person for a 1A GTY before CVC. He used the Mexican Riveria as an example. As it turned out, our family of four had just sailed on the Pride for $2,200.00 for a 5A (the french doors - outside cabin). So I told him just because he had been spending to much for his cruises to begin with, does not mean he can make claims that will lead folks to believe that they will save that much.

But the bottom line was that any joe blow off the street could get his deal, without paying thousands of dollars for the priviledge.

I don't care what folks do with their money. But to mislead people like that who are coming to the Internet for solid honest facts so they can make an informed decision, just burns me up.

Forget the land resorts that are difficult (if not impossible to book). Forget the companion airfare that everyone knows is basically worthless.

At 25 cents per point, you are going to pay about 10% more for your cruise than you would if you just booked it off the internet. Now to some people, the VIP Check In is worth the 10% more. And that is fine. It is cheaper than booking a Cat 11 or 12 for the priviledge.

But that is a much more honest way to sell these packages then using all the smoke and mirrors.

I am most disappointed in Carnival for putting their passengers in "harms way"....just to make a buck off the use of their name and some office space.

ICE should also be required to put a large sign up that says Residents of (South Carolina ) are not allowed to purchase these packages. (Their State Attorney General declared it a scam) And 18 States won't allow their citizens to "rent" extra points. Those 2 red flags might stop some folks from being taken in.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:30 AM

LHP- Sounds like the guy you are talking about is a CVC salesperson trying to drum up business.

NO ONE spends $900 a person for a 1A GTY...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
LHP- Sounds like the guy you are talking about is a CVC salesperson trying to drum up business.

NO ONE spends $900 a person for a 1A GTY...
He claims he is not...but who knows.

The saddest thing is that CVC would probably sell plenty of packages doing it honestly.

VIP Check In and Debarkation is the biggest draw for folks and I believe lots of folks would pay an extra 10% for their cruise to get that along with the parties ( which only happen in ships with CVC offices) and the little goodies they sent to the room that make folks feel special.

Our family of four are all Platinum members, so we already get all those perks. But for someone who is elderly, has health issues or just wants a little TLC at embarkation and debarkation....this can be an option. As I said earlier, 10% more for a cruise is cheaper than a Cat 11 or 12 to get those priviledges.

Oddly enough, I did an "unoffical" survey of posts from various boards and found that of some 80+ individuals, only 25% felt that they think they did "OK" on these packages.

And even of that 25% that were "ok" (not overly positive but think they will make out alright)...only one person (guess who) has said he will buy another package when his points run out. Most have not said publicly whether they would do it again, but several have said they will not renew.

In my mind, the "success" of any program like this should be judged by those who would renew...not by those who bought it one time.

My goal in all of this is to arm folks with as much information as possible before they step on that ship, so that they can make an informed decision based on honest facts!!

BTW, those 80+ individuals were only folks who had actually purchased the packages. I did not count people who sat through the spill and said "no way".
Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 PM

LHP,

The VIP Check In and Debarkation is the only benefit that I think is worthwhile. We purchased a package last year and when buying our cruise for this past April I found I could do much better on my own. I decided to just blow the entire point bank on my next cruise which is next April. The good thing is that I can use the privileges for the entire 5 years and intend to do so. By the time I get done I will not need to be a member to get those privileges any longer. I doo not think that CVC is as much of a rip off as some make it to be but you surley are not getting the deal they want you to beleive you are getting.

RC Viking Serenade 1994
CCL Elation 2000
CCL Ecstasy 2001
CCL Elation 2003
CCL Spirit 2004
CCL Glory 2006

Spirit to Hawaii 4/2007 booked
Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM

Hi there, my partner and I have both just recieved employment on Carnival Cruise lines as CVC representitives. I come from a background in Gym membership sales and am a very honest person. My partner and I were so excited for this opportunity, but now after reading his website I don't know what to think. I'm not going to ever try to SCAM anyone into anything, ever in my life, thats just not me. But in saying this i've already paid for my plane tickets and medicals to get on the ship. Does anyone have anything good to say about this or should i just cut my losses and find a new job???
Old 07-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by b_rent22:
Hi there, my partner and I have both just recieved employment on Carnival Cruise lines as CVC representitives. I come from a background in Gym membership sales and am a very honest person. My partner and I were so excited for this opportunity, but now after reading his website I don't know what to think. I'm not going to ever try to SCAM anyone into anything, ever in my life, thats just not me. But in saying this i've already paid for my plane tickets and medicals to get on the ship. Does anyone have anything good to say about this or should i just cut my losses and find a new job???
I would not look for other employment. I think folks feel "scammed", because of the way these packages are represented. Unless CVC makes you present it this way, you have the option to present it honestly.

First of all, don't do all the smoke and mirrors with the 25 cents per point...but you are buying the cruise for 17 cents per point mess. Just be honest and tell them that at the 25 cents per point they are spending, the cruise will run about 10% above what the internet is running them for. HOWEVER, they are getting perks usually reserved for Platinum members. This is a way for them to get the perks of Cat 11 or 12 suites for a lot less money. VIP Check In and Debarkation, Cocktail Parties (on the ships that have offices), a Concierge (on the ships that have offices) and the canapes etc in their room.
And the good news is, if they take the 25 cents per point into consideration when they are booking their cruises...then the discounted land resorts are actually a "perk". Tell them that 7 days MAY be avaiable, but that it could be more like a 4 day since it is based on availability.

Be up front about the land resorts. Ask your bosses specifically about the difficulty in booking these land resorts, so that you can provide honest facts.

I think CVC would be shocked at the amount of business they can do honestly if they give it a chance. I think people will appreciate an honest approach to this.

We were just on the Pride and the manager of that office said they were using a different approach. We never got to talk any further about it...but perhaps this honest approach is what he meant. I hope so.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bdog:
LHP,

The VIP Check In and Debarkation is the only benefit that I think is worthwhile. We purchased a package last year and when buying our cruise for this past April I found I could do much better on my own. I decided to just blow the entire point bank on my next cruise which is next April. The good thing is that I can use the privileges for the entire 5 years and intend to do so. By the time I get done I will not need to be a member to get those privileges any longer. I doo not think that CVC is as much of a rip off as some make it to be but you surley are not getting the deal they want you to beleive you are getting.
I agree that is not actually as big a "rip off" as some say. However, you have to remember that these folks are speaking from great disappointment.

They have been told things like "it will save them 30% to 60% off their cruise cost". One couple was told that they would do 4 cruises in the same level of cabin that they were currently in...an 8 C - balcony on a Bronze package. Both of which are completely and totally false. And when folks feel like they have been "scammed", their anger deters them from seeing any good in the product. No matter how good the product could be, no one wants to be lied to. They feel embarrased that they were take advantage of which fuels their anger even more. Nothing is worse than a cruiser that is scorned. They will get on every cruise board forum around and shout it at the top of their lungs.

For folks who are past the cancellation period, I have tried to calm them down where they can decide rationally how to use their points and get the most bang for the buck. Then they do feel better. How great would it be for CVC to be honest so they could skip the anger phase!!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, charge, club, cruise, cruises, gallery, ice, paradise, perks, review, scammed, scams, skippers, skyauction, vacation