Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Well I never thought I would ever have anything really bad to say about Carnival, but this cruise did it, we were amazed at the service and the crew< I had heard that they were training new staff but I think they should all go back and get a refresher course.

1. we were 5 adults 2 children I am maternal grandparent of the children, I went to sign the 8 year old and 14 year old for camp Carnival at the orientation was told only a parent has that right but I could be listed as 2nd adult only to pick up the children after the events of the day, seems a little backwards to me, but I could not drop them off and sign them in, but could pick them up duh!!! good thing my daughter was on the trip with me or the kids would be very disappointed, also they do not let you in on activies for the day unless you ask whats going on, there was a talent show and the two children, that were 8 years old wanted to join but did not know they had to sign up we all got dressed and and marched down to the club for the show the 2 children were excited as they praticed thier song on the lido stage all afternoon, when we got there counsuler said they could not join the talent show as they did not sign up for it, or had a rehersal, which none of us knew about, there were 3 children signed up and they would not let the kids, do thier song. anyway, it was not like there were 50 kids in the talent show there were about 16 people that were in the club watching. 3 of which were the talent show singers. more disapointment on the litlle ones.

2. I was sitting in the lido buffet, with the kids having breakfast when a little girl about 4 tables down dropped a chunk of catalope in the middle of the buffet area, I watched as 4 crew service waiters walked over the melon, no one bent to pick it up, I stopped a supervisor pointed it out and told her 4 of her people just walk by it, and someone would slip and fall on that marble/slate floor, dirty dishes filled the tables out by the pool no one was there to bus and pick up glasses we were constantly clearing off tables of beer bottles dishes glasses, full ash trays, before we could sit and eat where were the service people I seen them all over the place but they never lifted any thing off the tables we cleaned them or we had the beverage seller take everything away, when ever he walked by, when we could get his or her attention.

3. we rented tuxes for the dinner and they were delivered to the room $132.00 tolal for what we rented the one Jacket and the mens shirt was all wrinkled, so we asked the steward on our floor to send it to be press, it came back just before Dinner with a Bill, we had to pay to get it pressed, I went down an confronted purser on that one, did get our money back for the pressing, but that was beside the point it should have been pressed and ready to go for 132 buckeroos, you think!!

4. the 3 girls went to the salon to have updos for Captains Dinner as it was formal nite, the salon people, put fancy hairpins and boubles in your hair with out asking you if you want them or if you are willing to spend the xtra 20.00 or more till after they are done, and then low and behold you look in the mirror and are embarassed to ask them to remove them as you did not ask for them or were told there was a additional charge BEWARE!!!! a 45.00 updo now was 65.00 to 80.00 depending on what they placed in your hair.

5. Dinner what a mess, we only went the first 2 nights we waited as the waitress came back 3 times with wrong drink order, waiter got the dinners wrong, second night we brought 2 bottle of wine to table they brought an ice bucket and placed the wines in bucket we finaly flagged down someone halfway through dinner to open and pour the wine. second night also dinners were serve wrong , we had enough we did the Buffet the remaining nights, we just did not think it was worth the effort to go back.

6. Our Room Steward was more then ok he was there when ever we need him, he answered all our pages and was a great service person, and went the full nine yards with us, thank you.Rico

7. dj Eddy we told sam Hi for you!!

8. we did leave all the tips on the bill 350.00 all tho we did toss around the idea of taking them off, except for our room steward, which now I wish we had, because I would have rather seen Rico and his helpers get the full 350.00
8. the lido deck was filthy dirty trash was blowing all over no one picked it up, I was just amazed at how the staff ran this ship, NEW or not, it was a disgrace to Carnival, I have other issues but it is from other family members that were on the cruise, I would be here all nite writing if I listed everything, again I am not a Carnivasl basher I love there ships but this was by far the worst, I have been on in the last 8 cruises
9. the topper was an eldery guest was totally drunk and incoherent and slid down the wall on the lido deck and was babbling and could not move the crew walked past him for over a half hour before some one told security that the man was in distress, he was served at the bar on lido and not cut off they just kept giving him drinks and charging him He could not even say NO!!! thats how drunk he was they took him away in a wheel chair, and this was at 3 in the afternoon with children running all over the place, the bar tender should have known when to stop serving him, there was no excuse for that. the man could not even talk he was sitting 2 stools away from me and he was babbling, I knew he had had enough cut him off already!!!
10. tender departure big joke they request your family member all be there in the morning to get number, we went at 8:30 we left the othe 5 at the dining room to wait for the 2 8 year olds to finish eating, I went up to get 11 stickers for the 2 families as we were all going ashore together was told that they all had to be present to get sticker, so we had to go down and rush them mean while after we all got stickers , I watched as 3 different passengers went in an got 10- 13 stickers for thier family members who were not even in the room after I was told NO!! all would have to be present, which I followed the rule and we got all our stickers together, I confronted the women in charge and told her Why was it ok for other 3 passengers to get tender ticket while thier families were not even in the starlight room, if you are going to change the rules do not do in the middle of the thing, whats fair is fair, make everyone follow the rules we were there early and could have gotten the #1 tender ticket, it really did not matter, as we were all on the same tender, its just the idea that they broke thier own rules, constantly!!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Oh My God!!!! That sounds horrible! Each and every thing you listed is just awful. My kids would be so upset if they had seen that old man- believe me, they would have been in tears later that night.

I know you were so looking forward to that cruise and I'm so sorry Carnival let you down. You should send them a letter- if not for you then for the future cruisers on that ship that might be helped.

Yikes!!!!!

I see you are going on the Spirit soon. I just got off of her and it was a fantastic cruise.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 PM

OK Peach, I had to add few more problems you forgot. LOL
Don't forget we were also stuck in Progreso for most of the night and put us back into Galveston late. It was almost 2:30 p.m. by the time we made it to our car as we were in the last group to be called to leave. There were people in the parking lot mad that couldn't get on the ship yet. They came up to us to find out what happened while we were loading our car. Also the ship tried to make up time getting back so the whole last day and night of our cruise was pretty rough. Lots of rocking. We ended up putting on our patches the morning of the last whole day.
Also, the pools were leaking into the Lido Deck Buffet area and some of the restrooms.
I agree about all the drunks on board. It was awful especially with so many kids on the ship. We even saw some teenagers that were drunk. There was no way they could have been old enough to drink. Maybe someone older was buying it for them?
I was diapointed in the cruise because of all the drunks (even in the early morning hours). But all in all we had a pretty good time. We did have good waiters in the dining room but we were a little disapointed in the quality of the food. The prime rib (I had) and the lobster (my sister had) were great! The rest of the food was just so so. The deserts were great especially the tiramasu and baked alaska. Our cabin steward was also the best! He made sure we had 3 capers in our room every night so we could each bring one home. Thanks Jun. He was also there any time we needed him for anything. He would say good morning every morning and ask how our day had been every afternoon. I know he had a lot of other cabins he worked for but it felt as if he was our personal steward!
I never ran into Sam to say hi for you DJ so I am glad Peach did.
We were very disapointed in the Corona Beach excursion in Progreso. The water was very dirty not clear as in Cozumel. And it was just another drunken party. We loved the Atlantis Submarine tour in Cozumel. It was like being in a giant aquarium. We saw baracuda, sharks, angel fish, jelly fish, almost any kind of fish you can imagine, coral reefs, ect. It was great and I would recommend it to anyone.
We did lots of shopping and got some great deals. The prices were cheaper in Progreso and we did get better deals there. We bought jewelry, blankets, T-shirts. I got a great deal on a Mystic Topaz bracelet in Progreso.
Well, I've said enough for now. It wasn't the best cruise ever but I'm sure it wasn't the worst either. At least we didn't catch on fire or anything like that.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:39 AM
gosh I forgot about the leak its a wonder the pool did not fall on our heads, glad it missed the the desert table. then captains dinner nite, rest room by the wind song dining room was flooded, I remember rolling my good pants up to my waist so they would not get wet when I went to the ladies room by the starlight lounge, we did not mind the lay over our plane back was at 2:30 and it was 45 min. delayed anyway so we did not get out of the airport till 3:30, to bad we could not have stayed in town in presso for the whole evening as we really could have jumped a bus to cancun for the whole day and evening. there were other thing that happen that were quite annoying our bathroom tolit would not flush a few times the piece fell off behind the wall had to call maitence 2 times for that, our steward was also the best he answered every page and we would call down the hallway and he would be there in minute or so,or call our cabin, right away his name was Rico, nice fellow we gave him extra money beside what was on the sail and sign, I just am kicking myself for not going down and taking the tips off and giving it all to him and his helpers, but we were all cranky that morning and annoyed and just wanted to get off that ship we carried every thing off this time thats how bad we wanted off. well I am looking forward to jan 07 cruise we are on deck 11 cabin 11110, 3 single gals we should have a good time I hope.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 AM

I am surprised to here about the problems as I spoke to Sam on msn and he said the first sailing went fine. I suppose working in the entertainment department you don't see all of the problems elsewhere.

Like I said in the Sensation post, Carnival seriously need to change the dry-dock contractors by the sounds of things.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience - I would certainly write them a letter. I hope that this doesn't stop you from cruising in the future. Just try another line next time. I have a large group - all adults, and we like to cruise toegether. We always went on Carnival until we just started to feel as though we didn't matter, the staff didn't care at all, the drunk people had taken over the ship and the food had gone downhill. So we changed over to Royal Caribbean and are much happier - and still cruising.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I will never stop cruising ater the ecstasy, I am already booked for next jan on ncl spirit, and I have been on the Holiday, victory twice and legend and the Miracle and not to forget the Celebration where I got the cruise BUG, one really bad cruise won"t stop us I am thinking og going to a different line tho since this last vacation, the customer service has rally slipped on Carnival!!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM

I would think you would take into consideration that this ship had been out of service for six months. The crew may have been a little rusty and needed to get back into the swing of things. If anything I have noticed Carnival's service improving alot over the last five years. I have always felt the food was just as good on Carnival as any cruise line I have been on, but they just hired George Blanc, a very prestigious chef to redo their menus. Carnival has changed significantly in the last five years. Things are going to happen, it doesn't mean the cruise line is going down hill. How many times have you had a perfect flight without delays, a mechanically problem, or whatever reason flights are delayed.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:48 AM
I beg to differ no one forgets to pick up dirty dishes and glasses from empty tables , or to pick up flying trash on decks, or to leave drunken patrons lieing on decks so incoherent they do not know who or where they are, that gentlemen was served till he could not walk, I was a bartender for 10 years and you know when to flag someone this poor man probably said no and the bartender did not speak english very well and kept serving him, $$$$ money means every thing to any business, so what I think is my opinion, we were not the only people on the ship there were many more in our bus line that had alot of negative comments. Rusty had nothing to do with it these people were not trained to do the job, properly and should have been better supervised by thier supervisers, oh and since I am complaining so much, I think I go one more the Captain seemed to be on vacation more then us he was in the jacuzzi more then he was on the bridge in his speedos you think he would notice all the crap on the tables and pax removing it so they could sit and eat.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM

ooohhh the captain in a speedo....I sure hope I don't get that nice view when we sail in May..... but we might get a good laugh

Closed Thread

Tags
captains, dinner, updo