Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 AM

Does dramamine work?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 AM

Hi Nipper,
According to my opinion the combination of medicines with the contents materials
Dimenhydrinat and Metoclopramid is the best solution against seasickness.
But ask your doctor
Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Well, yes it does, but it can also cause drowsiness and other un desirable side affects. Unless you KNOW you will get sea sick, I would try to go without medication. The bigger ships are much more stable than you might think. Another possible solution is taking Ginger pills (you can get them from health food stores and probably your local drug store). My mother gets seasick, and on our last cruise, she started taking the ginger pills a couple days before and during and had no problems until about the 3rd day of the cruise when she had "forgot" to take them. She started fealing bad and rememebered that she did not have her pills and went back to her cabin and took them. She had to take a short nap, but afterwards she felt normal again.. So, you can try them if you don't want to "risk it" and don't want to take the chance on the Dramamine causing you to be sleepy (you could do the non-drowsy formula but I always seems to find the non-drowsy versions of medicines to also be "less effective" too.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM

We used non-drowsy Bonine (meclazine) which is free on the ship. Go down to the medical station and there are free samples of bonine, tylenol, etc. Didn't bother us a bit. Good luck, and bon voyage!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 PM

They have the meclizine at the Purser desk also.
I have read these still have a drowsy effect but less than regular dramamine. Alcohol increses the drowsiness. My sister gets motion sickness and used the wrist bands on the Trocicale which is a much smaller ship and had no problems. Unless you get behind a storm and rough seas, the ships are pretty stable. I started getting "the feeling" during very rough seas and took half dose of the meclizine and had a beer and felt better and didn't get sleepy. Most people that get sick on small boats don't get sick on the ships. And as Jim mentioned the Ginger. I have read countless posts from people that swear by it.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 PM

The key is to take something before you feel nauseated. If you know the seas are going to be rough, take something before you sail. My wife wears a patch behind her ear though the entire cruise. She is prone to motion sickness and never has been sick wearing the patch.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 AM

my wife and i both had the patch on our last cruise never had any problems and my wife gets sea sick just got them again for the up coming cruise
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 PM

What are the patches called? Will see if I can get them in UK before I leave. Thank you all for advice.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM

Hi Nipper,

Is called Scopolamine Transderm Patch, Here is a link for you.

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/

I think in the US you need a prescription for them. But I hear from friends they just call their Doctor and they just call it in for them to the Pharmacy without an office visit.

I bet being from UK you have to translate what we are typing, even though is supposed to be English..just thought of that

Best to you,
IslandCruz
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 AM

Better explain last comment.

I managed a restuarant for several years, and in the summer we would hire the visiting students from England and Scotland.

When I questioned one of them as to where they were. Was told " I was doing a fag out back".

I asked one of them to sweep the kitchen, well 5 minutes later She is asking another employee for a "brush". The other employee got one out of her purse and gave to her. That did not end well.

I got it all figured out and calmed down the gay employee that was offended, and the ER patched up the other employee that got hit with the hair brush

Just some true things that happened between English speaking people

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, sea, sickness, solution