Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 PM

Anyone know anything about getting free cabin upgrades? I currently have an inside stateroom. I was told by a seasoned cruiser that if I call Carnival and ask about available upgrades, they might give me one. He said I might need to say that a "friend" tried the same thing and was successful. I don't really want to lie to them, but if someone could confirm that this has happened, I wouldn't feel quite as guilty.

On the other hand, my friend likes to talk, and this could all just be a load of BS.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Ahh, the upgrade legends! Your friend obviously doesn't need to buy fertilizer for his lawn. Calling Carnival directly and boasting of a friend who got an upgrade will not accomplish anything. Upgrades are really overrated in my opinion. I expect you'll have some more responses, but the bottom line is don't expect to be upgraded from an inside cabin to a suite, or even an outside cabin. A usual upgrade may be from your inside cabin on X deck, to another inside cabin on Y deck. Oh, you got an upgrade - since the inside cabin on Y deck costs more than the one on X deck. But the cabins are identical, just on a different deck. I don't like to gamble with these things. If you want an outside cabin or a suite, then book one and just stick with it. The cruise lines don't make a habit of moving people who paid for an inside cabin into a truly higher level accomodation. It happens, but not often and typically to loyal customers.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:15 AM

Dave's right (as per usual). I have been upgraded before on Carnival. But if I had an inside cabin...I was just upgraded to an inside cabin on a higher floor.

If I have booked a balcony, I have been upgraded to a higher floor. I have even been upgraded from a standard balcony to an 8C aft double balcony.

I have never been upgraded to a suite
I have never been upgraded to a balcony from an inside stateroom.

I book ALL my Carnival Cruises directly with Carnival.

Hope this help!

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Banned

Dave's right. As usual.
Although, on Pride, our Carnival Rep., called us and upgraded us from a stateroom to a balcony. Like Chris, we've also only booked directly through the same Carnival Rep. We've cruised solely with Carnival for 10 years. Loyalty, like Dave stated, might have something to do with it.
I believe the whole... "call Carnival and tell them a friend was upgraded" story is urban legend.
It just means you're going to do a lot more cruising with Carnival, Mike. And, that's not such a bad gig.
Good luck.
A'ndrea
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 AM

I agree 100% with everything that's been said. But I'll add one thing. No, you cannot call Carnival and upgrade, but on certain cruises (non Caribbean) you can call and ASK about geting on a higher floor. BUT...I think it all depends on your cruise history. First or second time cruisers paying minimum for their cruise get minimum upgrades. If you pay a BIT more and you have cruised more than 2 or 3 times AND you booked with Carnival, they are more willing to "wheel and deal". This is just my experience.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Unfortunately, thatís what I expected you all to say. But at least that saves me the embarrassment of calling them up and giving them the "friend" story. Plus, I went for the cheap rate, through a TA, and itís my first on Carnival - three strikes. I guess my striking good looks and incredible personality will only get me so far and that I need to start cruising more.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Since you booked with a TA, have them call the cruise line & see if an upgrade is avail. My TA did that one year & got us a balcony from an ocean view. I also had my b-day that week so that might have been a factor. And that was with Royal Car. not Carnival. You never know unless you ask & the worst that can happen is that you get the room you booked! Good Luck

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Mikethekid,

Based on that mug shot under your name I agree with your comment about your striking good looks.

Allygirl, the most likely senario on your upgrade from your T/A is that the rates had changed since your original booking. When this happens, RCI is great about moving you up. It saves them having to refund difference. Don't bet that it was because it was your birthday, about 3 out of evry four client I book, when I get to the question about "Any celebrations during your cruise?" come up with either a birthday or anniversay or something. The ones who tell me it's for their birthday and then I get to where I have to ask for DOB for their booking and it's nowhere near the sailing date crack me up. Everybody thinks if they're celebrating something the cruiseline will do something special for them. They do, they normally give them a piece of cake and sing (since all the deserts are free, not so special huh?). Some decorate your door or give champaigne, ballon bouquet or something nicer. Carnival has quit allowing celebrations to be posted at the time of the booking all together. You have to notify the Maitre'd onboard.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Once on Carnival we were shocked when we had booked an inside cabin and we ended up with an ocean view.
The last time we were on Carnival Glory we went through a T/A and our friends booked an inside room and got an ocean view.
I think out of all our Carnival cruises we only booked once through Carnival.
Sandy p
Costa Atlantica 2/2002-- 2/2005----Magica 2/2006
Concordia 1/2008
HAL MS Zuiderdam 9/03
MS Zaandam 1/04
Sun Princess 9/05
Royal Caribbean :
Majesty of the Seas 11/01
Sovereign of the Seas 12/02
MSC Orchestra 1/09
Ru** Princess 10/09

Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I donít know much about cruising
I am cruising with carnival this summer (second cruise with them). When I was making my booking I called carnival give them my past guest number and ask them if they can upgrade my room they just told me that I can upgrade in the same category of cabin the only change was the floor, so I paid for a balcony room in level 6 and they changed to the level 9 for the same price. I really know a person that paid for a balcony and they gave him the mini suit on other cruise line but it was his 10 cruise with them so maybe was a rare case.

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, cabin, calling, carnival, cruise, free, fress, glory, honeymoon, inside, miracle, suite, upgrade, upgraded, upgrades