Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Connecting Cabins? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/1903-connecting-cabins.html)

BillK 02-07-2005 09:19 AM

Looking for advice. I booked a cabin online for the Oosterdam. Later, I noticed that the cabin is a connecting one (door to the next cabin). I told a friend who said that I should change cabins because the walls between connecting cabins are paper thin and you can hear everthing. Anyone have any experience with this or any opinion? It's not too late for me to change cabins. Thanks-Bill

BillK 02-07-2005 09:19 AM

Looking for advice. I booked a cabin online for the Oosterdam. Later, I noticed that the cabin is a connecting one (door to the next cabin). I told a friend who said that I should change cabins because the walls between connecting cabins are paper thin and you can hear everthing. Anyone have any experience with this or any opinion? It's not too late for me to change cabins. Thanks-Bill

SanDee 02-07-2005 10:05 AM

I on the other hand have the opposite problem. We booked 5 cabins on the Conquest for Feb 13. 2 rooms were to be connecting rooms. Well first of all they put one group in an inside cabin instead of the oceanview they had paid for then said they had no more ocean views. This was booked 9 months ago. Finally they got them changed but not till after the TA went round and round with them. Now we discover that the 2 rooms that were to be connecting rooms are not. This creats a problem as the reason for the adjoining rooms was one room would have older children (teens) who could babysit the younger child in the adjoining room. This would allow the child to sleep in his bed or watch his tv while the older ones were in their room watching their tv. Now the only choice is to put them in one room which means the parents have to go get the child and take him to their cabin late at night. We have addressed rhis to the TA but she just dances around the problem. Possibly she forgot to address this request when she booked out cruise. The only thing I can think of to do is ask the adoining cabin if they would consider changing rooms. It would be the same floor but other side of the ship. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

jbrooks175 02-07-2005 01:33 PM

That's makes me nervous! We are going on Valor 2/13 w/adjoining rooms (same idea traveling with young kids etc) i hope the room is as stated by travel agent.
I do want to mention though, I went on RCCL last year with friends, we had an adjoing room and I do know that the walls were pretty thin. It didnt bother us since they were our friends, but if you arent travelling with your neighbor you may want to look into changing. I know from a group stand point, I hate it when they book someone next to an ajoining room and they're travelling alone? why not keep those open for groups or couples travelling together? good luck!

RIDGID 02-07-2005 02:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SanDee:
I on the other hand have the opposite problem. We booked 5 cabins on the Conquest for Feb 13. 2 rooms were to be connecting rooms. Well first of all they put one group in an inside cabin instead of the oceanview they had paid for then said they had no more ocean views. This was booked 9 months ago. Finally they got them changed but not till after the TA went round and round with them. Now we discover that the 2 rooms that were to be connecting rooms are not. This creats a problem as the reason for the adjoining rooms was one room would have older children (teens) who could babysit the younger child in the adjoining room. This would allow the child to sleep in his bed or watch his tv while the older ones were in their room watching their tv. Now the only choice is to put them in one room which means the parents have to go get the child and take him to their cabin late at night. We have addressed rhis to the TA but she just dances around the problem. Possibly she forgot to address this request when she booked out cruise. The only thing I can think of to do is ask the adoining cabin if they would consider changing rooms. It would be the same floor but other side of the ship. Does anyone have a better suggestion? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't the cruise line require someone over 25 to be occupying a room? Maybe the TA made this request and the cruise line ignored it. When traveling with children you know there will be inconviences. Get a suite. With a suite there are usally 2 TV's. If the TV is the only issue.

NancyN 02-07-2005 02:51 PM

Okay, I am going to interject my 2cents (for what its worth). First, my experience has been that there is a big difference in "residual noise" from connecting cabins and those that are not. If I have a choice, unless I requested connecting cabins, I avoid them.

Now, as for this problem regarding NOT getting the requested connecting cabins. I have to go out on a limb, and unless there were extenuating circumstances, hold the travel agent responsible. When booking cabins you have the choice of guarantees or assigned cabins. If you needed connecting rooms, your travel agent should have booked you in assigned cabins and by the simple deck schematic - known which cabins were connecting. In this case, I wouldn't let the agent "dance around the issue". (JMHO)
Nancy

Oggy Boy 02-07-2005 06:51 PM

I would avoid connecting cabins unless they are for a specific reason. I once had a connecting cabin on the QE2 and got to know the adjoining couple so well that I ran whenever I saw them coming.

Take earplugs, no matter what the case.

Tom

SanDee 02-08-2005 12:15 AM

Ridgid the rooms are going to be occupied by adults over 25 plus their children. "Suite?" Don't I wish! I am getting my first balcony this cruise. Can't see spending the money for a room I do not plan to occupy much. As for the others, the oceanview was a stretch for them.
Nancy, When I addressed this request to the TA 4 months ago she said that would be taken care of "Later". Well later is here and we do not have a connecting room. We used an online TA. I have used them in the past but after this cruise I don't think I will again. At first I could always get a hold of her. For the last 2 months all I ever get is a voicemail. She does not return calls like she should. I even contatcedCarnival last month to see if we really had reservations. I still had a balance that I knew was past due and could not get her to return my calls go get this paid. I was never asked about guaranteed or assigned cabins. We just found out our room numbers last week. I will ask Carnival when we check in if we can get the ajoining rooms. If not, no big deal. We are going to have fun no matter what.