Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Passports??? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/191-passports.html)

vietvet 04-17-2009 04:51 PM

Please set me straight. Are passports required to leave and re-enter this country? I have been told they were and now my sister in-law is going on a cruise and they say Carnival told them they do not need one. Who is correct?

LisaP 04-17-2009 06:17 PM

Click here for current information.

daisey 04-18-2009 06:50 PM

Even if you are not required to have a passport on the cruise you are going on, it is a good idea to get one. If someone becomes ill or has an accident while on shore, you will need a passport to fly back to the USA. It always gives me peace of mind to know I have mine in case of an emergancy.

Dave 04-18-2009 07:15 PM

Daisy, you speak the truth. People need to stop their whining and moaning and simply get a passport...and I mean the book version and not the passport card. The passport card is a waste for most people since it is not valid for air transport.

Dwayne 04-18-2009 07:33 PM

I 100% totally agree. I came very close to missing the ship last year on Roatan. I didn't have a Passport and vowed never again!

Dwayne

gdjoslin 04-18-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Daisy, you speak the truth. People need to stop their whining and moaning and simply get a passport...and I mean the book version and not the passport card. The passport card is a waste for most people since it is not valid for air transport.
At least on HAL you can not pre register if you have a passport card, or whatever it is called. They are not setup to accept the cards numbers... go figure. Our friends are cruising with us in July and I guess they will have to wait until Vancouver to sign in.

People spend$$$$$ on a vacation and then worry about a few extra dollars for a passport.

tim c 04-19-2009 08:40 AM

passport cards are ok.but get a passport.who knows you may want to fly to foriegn country one day.its worth the extra $55.00 and it easier in ports

vietvet 04-19-2009 08:57 AM

Thank you for all the help. I now understand the passport question. I have one as does my wife so we really didn't know the correct answer. Thanks again VietVet

vietvet 04-29-2009 08:15 AM

All of my travel partners are in the process of getting thier passports except my brother in law. He says Carnival told him he did not need one so he is not getting one. The same guy does not have a birth certificate. It will be in teresting to see what happens.

LisaP 04-29-2009 09:04 AM

Not to sound crass, yet what will happen is that your brother-in-law will watch from the pier as you all wave good-bye to him from onboard the ship. Insurance will not cover this situation, either.

Let him know that the person checking him in at the pier will NOT be the same person to whom he spoke on the phone. The rules are very strict for boarding a cruise ship, and are governed by the State Department, not the cruise lines. (I know you know this -- this message is for him.)