Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM

This is my husband and first cruise and we both have no idea what to expect. We leave on March 16, 08 on the Conquest. I have no idea how to dress? Because I would be honest I don't own not one ball gown for formal night. I have nice casual dress. Please can someone help me?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi Ms. J,

Welcome to cruise-chat! First, you can expect to have a great time and be treated like royalty by the staff. Endless food and very good food and service for a week. Some great ports to visit and good entertainment between the port stops. Bring casual clothing, shorts and t-shirts, sandals or flip flops, swimwear and the like. For the dining nights just bring things you'd wear to a nice resteraunt in the evening. For formal night you won't need a gown on Carnival. A dress will be fine or even nice slacks and a dressy top. There will be some gowns but there will be enough people dressed just like you that you won't feel uncomfortable or out of place. Hubby will want a suit, blazer or sport coat with a couple of pairs of dress slacks and ties for the formals. If either of you decide not to attend you don't have to go to formal nights, you could hit the buffet instead. I encourage you to not pass on them, they're really fun and you'll enjoy the dining room experience nightly. First time cruisers are always a little apprehensive but there is no need to be. You're in for a very memorable vacation and a great time! Not a dish to wash or a bed to make. No meals to prepare or clean up after. It's an experience as close to heaven as I know of without actually dying.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Neil said it all...

Go, have a Grand time and then book another cruise....and then another....:-)...Happy Sailing....

Bob E
Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Well when I went on my cruise to mexico on the elation, for formal night i didnt see one person wearing a ball gown, but i also didnt see people wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Just dont dress casual, dress formal, a nice dress or a skirt will do.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM

You don't need a ball gown for formal nights. My formal night attire consists of a long black velvet skirt and 2 different tops and low heel shoes. It works and I fit in good.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM

I just got back from my first cruise and I had the same thoughts as you on formal nite. I wore a skirt and blouse and fit in just fine. There were no ball gowns, and I did see a couple people wearing jeans with fancy tops, but they looked out of place compared to rest of us. A dress should be fine I would think. Have fun and don't sweat it!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Everyone is spot on for what you will feel comfortable in on formal night. But let me put a few cents in here also. My wife wears a gown and I wear a Tux or Full Battle Array Kilt(less the dagger). Why? Because it is fun to do it. We have only a few times a year we can dress to the nines and not feel out of place. And the Photos, real professional photography that will pose you and your husband for a really nice picture suitable for framing. At no risk if you don't buy the print. I encourage you to bring top end stuff, I believe it adds to the fun.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi Ms.J, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your first cruise, just be warned that cruising is addictive Anything you'd wear to a nice restaurant or to church will be fine. Be sure to have a nice picture taken, the ship's photographers do a great job. It's a great way to have a wonderful memory captured. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM

I've cruised only once - this past October 07. I fretted over the whole formal night attire. Cruisecritic dot com is much more opinionated about attire and I got all worked up because I did not own a gown either. Well, I went to the local thrift store and bought a Jessica McClintock long gown for $12. Had it dry cleaned and wore strappy black sandals with it. Then, I had to figure out what my 2 DD's were going to wear. 17 yr old borrowed a friends prom dress and I bought 11 yr old formal gown from ebay for about $25-30. We did have fun getting all gussied up - but I saw everything from slacks and glitter tops to cocktail dresses, to formal gowns. Bottom line, my mother was much more comfortable in her black velvet slacks and glitter top than I was in my formal dress. The second formal night we just went with nice shorter dresses. On all other evenings I wore either black or white capris with summer sweaters or nice tops. My Dad and DH wore suits, not tuxes, on the formal nights. They both just brought a change of shirt and tie to go with same suit both nights. Lighter packing. Enjoy and wear what's comfortable....just try to avoid jeans and tees in the dining room. Have fun and enjoy!! You'll become as addicted as I have I'm sure. My girls and I are wondering when we can book our next cruise!! We loved it!! I gained 7 pounds!!!! mmmmmm, good food and endless amounts of it!!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 PM

I would like to thank you all for replying to my post. All your post help me out, because i was seriouly lost. Thank you

Closed Thread