Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi Denem916,
How much time will you have in San Juan before the cruise? If you are there the day before, it's absolutely a better idea to buy it there, my friend said there is a liquor store right at the pier when you board. Maybe there is more than one pier, I don't know, haven't done my southern cruise yet. Somebody here will know, I'm sure. If you won't have time, wine well packed would probably make it. Emphasis on well packed. Either way have a great time.

B
Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Dave, no special vintage...there is actually no need for us to carry it with us on the plane except for the fact that we are arriving the same day as the cruise leaves. We are staying a bit after the cruise in San Juan but obviously that doesn't help me in this situation

If we get the Carnival shuttle from the airport to the ship, will there be time/availability to go and purchase the wine?

It would be a great savings but if it ends up being more of a hassle, oh well. It is great that bringing a bottle each is an option though! If you have more info on where and how I could buy the wine before going on board, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Has anyone had success with transporting wine in luggage that is checked?
My sister sure didn't have much success transporting a bottle of Cabernet via American Airlines from Raleigh to Tampa in her checked luggage several years ago. Her clothes were ruined.

As Bub suggested, I'd check at the pier for the wine especially considering the weight restrictions the airlines have on luggage now a days.

Carnival does say they "will" charge a $10 corkage fee for the Main Dining Room and $14 for the Steakhouse to bring a bottle in. I think it is pretty much up to the waiter's discretion as I have never been charged for taking a bottle of wine to dinner. They even keep it for me until I ask for it again.

I can't answer if there will be enough time because I don't know your flight and cruise info.

Dwayne
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mizzgee65:
Leaving on Carnival Victory July 4th, as a part of a large group.
I will be also in the carnival victory on july 4

I also live on Puerto Rico and had been on this route a few times if you need any info please let me know
ALso did they charter the ship or something like that??
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Hi Casanova,

Is there a wine/liquor store at the pier where you can purchase just before boarding? We are thinking of doing this cruise in March and are wondering the same as Denem916. Is there more than one place to board and is there a wine store at all of them? Thanks if you can help.

B
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Actually let me explain you how this works in the PR Pier

During boarding when you are in line to board ship literally there is a duty free store where you can buy many of the usual RUMS you can find in USA since Bacardi, Captain Morgan and their subsidiaries are made here in the island. During your waiting time, before boarding ship, they will gave you a few "cup Samples" free of charge so you will have the oportunity to taste it before buying it.
HERE is the deal, remember I will confirm after I take my cruise this summer, but in the past they let you bring this RUM with you no problem what so ever and the port authorities let you board with it to the ship without asking about it, and without the normal problems you have in the Florida port

Why they do that?

I DON'T REALLY KNOW but for some reason Carnival is not as hard enforcing this law in Puerto Rico probably there is some arrangenment between local RUMS and the company...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks Casanova,

Sorry to keep bugging you but what about wine?Does the duty free store just have liquor or is there wine there as well?
Thanks again,

B
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Denem916 - I'll let you know more once we return from our cruise.

Casanova - this is a group of 26 of us. We book as a group to get a good price (planned a full year in advance) This time we have portside lido deck balacony cabins!

Casanova - does the duty free shop at the port sell cola and/or water?

If my memory is correct there is a drug/grocery store across from the port?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

If you google "san juan cruise port duty free" you'll find a lot of information in your top hit. We can't link to it since it would violate our forum rules.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Quote:
One bottle of wine per adult (750ml) is allowed by Carnival at embarkation only. And it must be carried on. No wine is allowed in checked luggage.
On the Imagination and Holiday - they did not enforce the "Embarkation Only" Rule when I went to Cozumel.

On my Imagination Cruise, I purchased 2 bottles of Mexican Wine in Cozumel, and then dutifully reported to the liquor collection point - they told me they did not need to collect wine.

On my Holiday cruise, I repeated the process because there was a bottle I wanted to buy so I could drink it in the dining room - they did not even stop me so I went to my room. I took the bottle to the dining room - there was a $10.00 fee to open the bottle of course.

Closed Thread

Tags
bon, bringing, carnival, checked, crown, including, juan, liquor, luggage, menu, number, phone, royal, san, voyage, wine