Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

In Mobile in March, our officer didn't ask about booze or sea shells. She did ask each of us more than one question about if we had been around livestock or on a farm. I thought it may be a customized question for us rednecks - you know, we go on a cruise just to visit farms and check out the cattle in foreign lands.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:25 PM

dave...you mean sheep don't you? They asked us a bunch of silly questions like that too!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

For those of you who are traveling with your family, the duty free limits on Alchol (1 liter?) can be totalled for the head of household. i.e. if there are four of you, the head of household (the person that filled out the customs clearance form) can declare 4 liters before duty is collected.

The sea shell thing blew my mind too. We went to Cozumel and started bartering for a shell from one of the vendors. We argued over price for a while and he would not budge nor I. So I gave up thinking the shell was not worth the price he wanted. Luckily I guess because I found out after we were leaving port that shells were a forbiddened thing in customs. I would have been really cheezed off if I had paid the high price to find out it gets taken from me. The vendor failed to mention that. Buyer beware I guess. It explains why there were not too many shells to be found in the stores.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Steve Rocky Mount:
and ZERO Cuban cigars!!!
I was really ****ed about that. Our CD did not tell us until disembarkation talk that Cubans are not allowed. Even if you fly direct to Canada after your cruise you're not allowed to bring them into the US. They should have told me in the beginning, so i dont go out and buy any. So stupid. Sorry just venting.

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 AM

About the livestock that was mentioned above: Last year I was in Croatia and Bosnia (not a cruise), and when I came back to the states they asked the same question about whether or not I had been near livestock or a farm. I told them I had, and they asked to see the soles of my shoes. Seems like they are just checking for contaminated soil or animal "waste" that could cause problems for the local animals/plants/people.

Not that it really mattered - I showed him my shoes, which did have some dirt on them, but he didn't question it any further.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joergr:
quote:
Originally posted by PA Steve Rocky Mount:
and ZERO Cuban cigars!!!
I was really ****ed about that. Our CD did not tell us until disembarkation talk that Cubans are not allowed. Even if you fly direct to Canada after your cruise you're not allowed to bring them into the US. They should have told me in the beginning, so i dont go out and buy any. So stupid. Sorry just venting.

I'm not Canadian but I got a kick out of our CD on Liberty when he said Canadians could have Cuban Cigars, but followed up with they can't bring them thru the US even through an Airport. So bottom line was no. I was tempted however to get just one out for a cigar smoking friend, but I'm really a chicken.

The other limits were different on alcohol and purchases. Seemed unusual to have different levels for different nationalities. And then if the Booze was from St Thomas you could have more. Worse than golf rules in some ways
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I have never been on a ship where the CD didn't specifically mention in the debarkation talk about Cuban cigars!! And they usually say something about Canadians being able to take me back...except for the fact that to GET em back, you have to go through the USA. Bit of a problem huh???

Dave...your story is the best!! I am so jazzed about our upcoming fling on Holiday. Best bar on board??
Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

On the Holiday there aren't too many bars open in the daytime - either the Wharf, the Pool, or the Bus Stop. My favorite during the day is the outside part of the Wharf. Quiet, nice music playing in the background, etc. The Pool Bar is too noisy and small.

At night my favorite place for early evening was the Bus Stop. After that I like the Tahiti Bar.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM
You want Cubans cigars??
There is easy way to do it,
just buy a Cuban cigar, then buy a similar cheaper cigar that you know they sell in USA, take off all the decals, Even better if they come in a case, and throw away the USA cigar or smoke it if you want to,
Then use the decals or case from USA cigar and put it on the Cuban cigar,
After that save the decals from the Cuban cigar and put them in your bags.
If they ask why you are holding Cubans cigar decals, just tell them you smoke them during the cruise and wanted a souvenirů
I know many of you know this trick but it was new to me... maybe some day I will not be the chicken I am and will try it...
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

It probably should be noted here that Customs has a policy of assuming unbanded cigars being brought in are Cuban unless you can absolutely prove otherwise. They also are quite good at detecting any tampering.

My advice is to not break the law. Frankly I have found Cuban cigars to be overrated and overpriced anyway. I much prefer a nice, legal, Dominican or Honduran cigar any day.

Closed Thread

Tags
canadian, carnival, carribean, confiscate, confiscated, cruise, cuise, customs, debarkation, process, seashells, ship, ships, st, taking, thomas