Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Im gonna have a rear balcony (the larger ones)on the verandah deck on Valor.... will the engine sound be overwhelming? should i switch my room?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Im gonna have a rear balcony (the larger ones)on the verandah deck on Valor.... will the engine sound be overwhelming? should i switch my room?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM

If you have your door open you will hear the sound of the water comming out of the props however I don't think it will be any worse then any other part of the ship. I have never had a problem with any noise on any of the five cruises that I have been on.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Thats good to know.... I wouldnt at all mind the sound of just the water being expelled, was more concerned with the actual motor noise!

Now see I have another issue. I bought a 8a cat. on my cruise and for that price can go all the way up to 8e if i choose.... i have friends on deck 8 (verandah) in the rear of the boat... but i can take the balcony room up deck 10 (panarama) on the side of the boat.... does the deck or position even matter? or am i overanalyzing this?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
I had a balcony stateroom on the Victory last year (Veranda Deck Aft, room 8402) I was directly below the lido restaruant which had slate tiles on the floor. During the daytime I could always hear footsteps or the dish cart that the staff use to clean up the dishes - only a minor inconvenience if I wanted to have a nap in the afternoon. I had no trouble with noise after bed time. If I get a balcony room again, I will make sure I have cabins above and below me! It might be more enjoyable to be near your friends that to be on the other side of the ship
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 PM

The engines are not at the rear of the ship anyways. And its not like there are huge outboard motors strapped to the ship! Modern cruise liners are diesel electric. They use giant diesel powered generators to power electric motors (isopods) that turn the props. So being on the rear of the ship is no more noisy than anywhere else. If you stand up on the very top deck under the funnel you can hear the ventilation fans running and you may hear some vibration noise but that's about it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Maybe that rumbling I heard on my last cruise was just that big guy snoring...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:22 AM

goin' crusin'

What you guys do in your cabin is no one's business.

Only time I hear the engines is at Port if the side thrusters get used and make a vibration.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 AM

Great insight! Thanks everyone!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fell2thetop:
Great insight! Thanks everyone!

If you take the rear balcony I'd like to hear what you think when you come back. We were to have one and then changed for other reasons but I was looking forward to it. I've never been bothered by engine noise, but I was bothered by people noise once on the balcony. Be aware that what you talk about can be heard in the neighboring balconys . We heard some very interesting conversations, nothing illegal or racy but personnal none the less.

I was on a ship where one engine was not running well, my daughter could tell but I couldn't until she pointed out what to listen for. They had it fixed by the next day. I bet almost no one noticed.

Closed Thread

Tags
8402, 8a, aft, back, balcony, carnival, cruise, engine, fell2thetop, hear, imagination, motors, room, rooms, ship, triumph, verandah