Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Hi! I'll be taking my first cruise on Carnival Valor in April 2009. I've found this site very helpful, but still have a few questions.

When you go ashore at the ports, if you haven't booked an excursion and just want to go ashore, does it cost anything?

How much is the drink ticket for unlimited soft drinks?

Is there an age requirement to attend the shows after dinner? I'm traveling with my daughters, ages 15 and 13.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later. I'm so excited about this cruise! I had actually booked on Carnival Victory, but had to change to the Valor because the Victory had been booked by a company for that week. My girls were disappointed in the change of ports (had been going to Antigua, Dominica, San Juan, etc.), but I hardly think we'll be disappointed with Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM

Hi debdo, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your upcoming cruise, you're going to become a cruise addict like the rest of us. You can come and go in ports as often as you like, free of charge. The shows are usually family oriented, there are some that will be adults only, but they are late at night and will state that it is adults only on your Canival Capers. Here is a link to our FAQ section (at the bottom of the main page), that should answer most of your questions. You have a wonderful itinerary and will be on a great ship! Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat. It is always exciting to look forward to your first cruise! You've come to the right place to get your answers.

It doesn't cost anything to leave the ship. You don't have to be on a tour. In fact many people book their own tours and don't use the ship's tour desk. But many of us just go ashore and bum around on our own. It's your choice!

They have two prices for the Fountain Fun Card. I believe it is $4 per day for kids and $6 for adults. That could change between now and next April. You buy it for the whole cruise so it would be $42 for you and $28 each for the girls. You can't share so each person needs their own card. They will also add 15% gratuity to the purchase price. This is true for any bar purchase.

The main shows have no age limit. Carnival often has an adult comedian show once or twice on a cruise, but it is later at night and they will ensure you know it is adult themed.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks, Penny and Dave! You would not believe the amount of info I have printed out (lists, dos & don'ts, etc.). I'll check out the FAQ section for more info., too. I'm sure I will become a cruise addict. I've wanted to go on one for many years (okay, really, I went on one when I was 6), but my husband isn't interested. We usually ski over Spring Break, but not this year! My daughters' Spring Break is pretty late in the ski season and they mentioned a cruise before I did. So, he's going skiing (earlier in the spring) and we're going tropical. Can't wait.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

You need to use BB Code as your ticker option. HTML doesn't work.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks. Hope it works this time!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM

It worked like a charm, and I'll take tropical to snow any day of the week I paid my dues already, we lived in Colorado for 12 years. I don't care if I never see a snow flake again!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat, Debdo! I have little to add to the responses you've already received. This sounds like a great getaway for you and your girls. As much as I like snow (and I like it a lot), cruising beats it any day.

We're happy to answer any questions. As I say frequently, if I'm not cruising, I love to talk about cruising!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Debdo you are going to some of my favorite ports. You will not be dissapointed.
In Belize I suggest cave tubing. It is an awsome experiance. I would book on my own. Just do a search for cave tubing on the internet. We did ours through Reggie's Tours. He was great! Check out his website. This is an experiance of a lifetime. In Grand Cayman swimming with the stingrays is the best. We used Captain marvins. Again you can find them on the internet. In Roatan we did a city tour with a stop at the Iguana farm and to see and hold Monkeys. Can't remember the name of the place and then a beach break. This too we booked over the internet. Just do a search of Roatan tours. In Cozumel we have gone to Chaukanab(sp?)Beach to swim with the Dolfins. The beach is nice if you choose to just do that. This last time we went to Passion Island and that was the best beach break ever. A complete private island which will include all your drinks, buffet lunch, full use of the beach and chairs. There are a few little gift shops but things are cheaper at the stores by the pier. We were on the Valor last November. She is a beautiful ship dedicated to people of Valor. Your daughter will love it. There is a little coffee/sweets shop and they have the best chocolate covered strawberries. They are very reasonable too. 5 for $3.00. It was a daily ritual of mine to bring back with a cup of tea for my husband and I to enjoy on our balcony. I absolutely love the fitness center and the hydro pool then off to the dry and wet saunas with a view of the ocean. Heaven! Youw ill all have a blast.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:52 AM

Hi Debdo, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Another good thing about the Valor is it was recently refurbished. They added the Seaside Theater to the lido deck. I can highly recommend Chankanaab Park as well for you and the girls. Here is a link.

Here is also a link to a sample Carnival Capers, that Penny mentioned.

Glad to have you with us, and Welcome Aboard,

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
book, excursion, island, kneed, passion