Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And if I understand the Carnailval deal correctly: if the ship does leave they will get you to the first port at their expense.
This is a common belief but it is not based in fact. It's a cruise myth. Even if you book air through the cruiseline, if that ship leaves prior to your arrival at the pier there is no contractual obligation to get you on that ship. If you have insurance and followed the flight guidelines or booked air through the cruiseline you may well be re-imbursed for the flight to catch up to the ship. Also, the airline may provide you asssistance or comp you a flight to catch up but they may not. They nor the cruiseline is under no obligation to do so. Read your doccuments provided with your cruise and on your flight reservations. Your best bet for protecting yourself againt unexpected events is travel insurance. Otherwise the costs above will be at your expense in almost every case.

Annette, I'm shocked that cruiseline air was at competitive rates with what you could find with air booked on your own. If you change the flight to the day before they will charge you a $50. air deviation fee if you book your own hotel. If you add a pre-hotel through the cruiseline there will be no fee to change your flight to match your pre-hotel package.

Whatever you do, have a great vacation!

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
quote:
And if I understand the Carnailval deal correctly: if the ship does leave they will get you to the first port at their expense.
This is a common belief but it is not based in fact. It's a cruise myth. Even if you book air through the cruiseline, if that ship leaves prior to your arrival at the pier there is no contractual obligation to get you on that ship. If you have insurance and followed the flight guidelines or booked air through the cruiseline you may well be re-imbursed for the flight to catch up to the ship. Also, the airline may provide you asssistance or comp you a flight to catch up but they may not. They nor the cruiseline is under any obligation to do so. Read your doccuments provided with your cruise and on your flight reservations. Your best bet for protecting yourself againt unexpected events is travel insurance. Otherwise the costs above will be at your expense in almost every case.

Annette, I'm shocked that cruiseline air was at competitive rates with what you could find with air booked on your own. If you change the flight to the day before they will charge you a $50. air deviation fee if you book your own hotel. If you add a pre-hotel through the cruiseline there will be no fee to change your flight to match your pre-hotel package.

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
quote:
quote:
This is a common belief but it is not based in fact. It's a cruise myth. Even if you book air through the cruiseline, if that ship leaves prior to your arrival at the pier there is no contractual obligation to get you on that ship. If you have insurance and followed the flight guidelines or booked air through the cruiseline you may well be re-imbursed for the flight to catch up to the ship. Also, the airline may provide you asssistance or comp you a flight to catch up but they may not. They nor the cruiseline is under any obligation to do so. Read your doccuments provided with your cruise and on your flight reservations. Your best bet for protecting yourself againt unexpected events is travel insurance. Otherwise the costs above will be at your expense in almost every case.

Cheers, Neil

I stand corrected. Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

jim you are right if it is only one couple that is different,most of the time when coming from the northern states they have atleast 25 to 50 people heading for the ships. they will delay a ship up to 3 hours depending on the amount of passengers on that plane. it is cheaper then trying to get them all to the first port. so far no trouble but we will check out going in a day ahead of time maybe sometime.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Late last year there were major snow storms from the rockies to New England. Air traffic came to a halt, first at Denver. Remember those 200+ passengers stranded for two+ days sitting on the floor of the airport? I can unfortunately tell you for cerain that many on that floor were trying to get to their ship. Some on those cancelled flights had purchased cruiseline air, some had booked air on their own. Same thing a week or so later at JFK. Unfortunately, some people in Houston, Atlanta, Cincinnati and airports all over the country were waiting for those grounded flights to get where they were going. Didn't matter who they booked the air through, they missed the ships. The cruiseline didn't fly any of these people to Grand Cayman for the last 5 days of their cruise when flights resumed and neither did the airlines. Do ships occasionally delay departure for delayed flights? Yes, they on very rare occasions will hold a ship. Do they have to do so or guarantee to get you to the ship if not? Absolutely not.

Your only protection is not who you book your air through. It's in making a very small investment in travel insurance. Usually at or under .10 cents on the dollar of the cost of your cruise. That way, if you have good coverage, available through many sources you have coverage for trip interuption (that's what they call these type of outside expenses). You also have trip cancellation coverage, medical, dental, baggage loss & medical transportation (helecopter evac, private chartered fligh home for recovery, etc.).

Moral of the story, don't count on the cruiseline or airline to be benevolent, they're not. Protect yourself! Fly in a day early? Yes, if you can. But be aware things can happen that even flying in early wouldn't protect against. Get a good travel insurance policy and pray you waste the money when you do.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 AM

I just finished my honeymoon cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver, I did book my fligths through carnival and I have to admit I more then likley will not do that again. I figured that it would be worth it since it was the same price as what I could find. We decided that we would go out a few days early to relaxe in downtown Vancouver before our ship set sail. When I tried to get it changed it was a nightmare. We were under the 60 days prior to sailing so I knew that there would be a fee to do it. I was even prepared to pay. I was told that I could not change my flights, and that I would not be able to make any devations. After talking to Carnival and Air Canada for 4 hours I was able to get it changed by one of the upper managment with carnval.I have to say that the ability to remain flexable in my travel is why I will not be booking flights with carnival again. We had a wonderful cruise and an awsome vacation however and would recommend carnival to all of our friends , just not the flights.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Well I guess I am probably "different" from most everyone else. Most everyone flys in the day before, which in the long run is probably better. I have only had (in 7 cruises) one incident where we had a problem. That was because it was "January" here in Kansas City. We did miss our flight becuase of the weather, and we "missed" one island, but then we were able to catch up with the ship at the next island.

Since I only have so much vacation, I can only take off so many days.
brneyes

Closed Thread

Tags
booked, carnival, cruise, devations, flight, line